Realistic Question From a Newbie

Very well put! I guess I'm just a whining little bitch of a newbie who's good at pointing out the faults in things. Matter of fact I just might be barking up the wrong tree. Perhaps I should look more to myself to take charge of my life or "get in line" with everyone else if I choose to stay. As it's also been pointed out my prior work experience as CFO plays a zero role in what may be available to me. Perhaps my college education is worthless within this company as well and perhaps I need to remind myself that everything that I have worked hard for up to this point in my life is meaningless as an entry-level employee within a very large company like UPS. My ability to perform technical maintenance within the WorldShip software itself may mean nothing to the higher ups because I am so low on the totem pole. My prior AP/AR experience, payroll, administrative, purchasing etc. are easily overlooked because I'm new.

...or MAYBE I am so green that I am looking at it afresh from the outside-in putting it into perspective for those whom have been with the company so long that they only see corporate darwinism and know nothing else. Love YOU ALL. :)

It's hard out there folks. Prior to accepting this position I had submitted some 600+ resumes and applications over the course of 6 months. It's not like I wasn't getting interviews or wasn't passing drug tests. It's not like I wasn't hired on more than one occasion. I am selective. I wasn't about to take just any job if I didn't see a means of progression. Of what I was told and how it was sold: I chose to accept a position with United Parcel Service. I had heard wonderful things of the company. I saw people who appeared happy within their employment(drivers). I heard positive stories coming from those within company.

I have held my head high, taken the good with the bad, hocked my personal belongings on several occasions when short of gas. See, if you have $100 left over after your bills... you're still broke. Life happens. We need always be prepared for the unexpected.

My initial question was... is it really worth it?

Your answers haven't exactly come straight out and said, "It is the Best decision you've ever made to come and work for us and IT IS worth it."

My questions have been answered. Thank you everyone.

Gonzo0082

so... let me get this straight. you're a former cfo from a large buisness? maybe your former employer also didnt see your worth in "ap/ar experience, payroll, administrative, purchasing, etc." or else you would still be employed by them. you are in the union, it doesnt matter how hard you work, how many trucks you think you can load, or how often you kiss a sup's @$$. you are new and everyone, yes i mean EVERYONE starts at the bottom and at the same rate.

you want to move up within a company but yet you dont want to go into management? or become one of the best drivers in the world? what else do you think you would be doing?

if YOU dont want to put in the time or effort to become management or a driver why work here? yes the benifits are great, but dont you think you should go put in your resume to a company that would need a former cfo?

you dont make any sense.

I left my position as CFO to be a good son and see my Mother through a series of critical surgeries. I don't care to drive and I really don't wish to treat human beings the way management do.

I have all the answers I need now. Thanks again everyone.

HubBub

It's hard out there folks. Prior to accepting this position I had submitted some 600+ resumes and applications over the course of 6 months. It's not like I wasn't getting interviews or wasn't passing drug tests. It's not like I wasn't hired on more than one occasion. I am selective. I wasn't about to take just any job if I didn't see a means of progression. Of what I was told and how it was sold: I chose to accept a position with United Parcel Service. I had heard wonderful things of the company. I saw people who appeared happy within their employment(drivers). I heard positive stories coming from those within company.

I have held my head high, taken the good with the bad, hocked my personal belongings on several occasions when short of gas. See, if you have $100 left over after your bills... you're still broke. Life happens. We need always be prepared for the unexpected.

My initial question was... is it really worth it?

Your answers haven't exactly come straight out and said, "It is the Best decision you've ever made to come and work for us and IT IS worth it."

My questions have been answered. Thank you everyone.

So you're so selective that you accepted a job without any understanding of advancement opportunities beforehand, based solely on some vaguely positive sentiment from anonymous drivers? You also somehow overlooked the starting wage which is made extremely clear by HR when hiring. Or else all of your immense business experience went out the window when figuring your budget. I would think that a "former CFO" could crunch the numbers and see that money would be a little tight.

Or was the point of this thread to stir discontent amongst the motivated and well-qualified part-timers that are "held back" by the seniority system? I mean, if it weren't for the exorbitant union fees and silly "seniority", we could have it so much easier so much faster. Divide and conquer.

I wonder how much of this garbage we'll see as negotiations start to ramp up.

I was told when signing-on that with the right attitude, a good-hard work ethic, there would be unlimited room for advancement. I was told and I quote, "There is all of the room in the world for advancement within this company. If you want to drive... Great! You can drive. If you don't want to drive... there are still positions for you within UPS. If you want management.. Great! You can go into management. If you don't care to go into management... there is still a position for you within UPS. The sky is the limit once you get your foot in the door."

Are these statements not true?

Also, do you think I just want instant advancement to the top of the chain? What? Do you think I'm a friggin' idiot? No-one rides to the top without hard work. It's just how it is.

Is there a Business Development dept within this company? Customer Service(Clerk) department? AP/AR department(s)? That is what I am asking.

DO NOT take me for being some "holier than thou" type for spite of positions that I've previously held.

I walked into browncafe asking what positions there are available within the company, regardless if union or not. I merely stated that I was not interested driving nor management and what I have received are a bunch of responses indicating that I need to have my head checked.

Does your work location not have clerks on the premises? How about a call center? How about an upstairs payroll office? How about HR? I did not get these answers from any of you. All I got was wait in line. Well no ****... I was merely asking what ALL is available. Is it that hard?

Apparently it is.

Is it any wonder that some of you have spent over a decade in preload? I learned today that it helps to write HR a letter of intent if you're interested in other positions within the company. Sure didn't get that information in here. I also learned today that HR, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Business Development, Clerk positions, Shop Steward positions all exist within the company. Did I get those answers in here either? No. I didn't.

That's all I was asking. Thank you for taking my inventory. Each and every one of you.

anonymous4

You were found out on the first page, deactivate account, walk away Mr. CFO of a very large organic raw foods company.

6T5st.gif

Notcool

No, its not worth it. The tiny pay increases yearly don't amount to much of a change. Its still low pay. Driving wait is who really knows 10-15 years. I am in my mid 20's been loading over six years and have least seniority in the hub beside a handful of people. I am not sure why I stay. I think because it has become so routine for me to go in and load.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Is it any wonder that some of you have spent over a decade in preload? I learned today that it helps to write HR a letter of intent if you're interested in other positions within the company. Sure didn't get that information in here. I also learned today that HR, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Business Development, Clerk positions, Shop Steward positions all exist within the company. Did I get those answers in here either? No. I didn't.

That's all I was asking. Thank you for taking my inventory. Each and every one of you.

There are a number of non-union hourly and management support positions within the company that may interest you. Talk to your HR person.

Any reason you don't wish to pursue a similar role with another corporation?

I take it reading wasn't one of the requirements to be a CFO of a very large organic raw foods company.

It's kinda hard to read in between the attacks. You're right. Got some hard asses in here. Thanks for... well. No thanks. Seems some of the people within the halls of browncafe can use clocks cleaned. You're just as ruthless as management. No wonder you're in HERE.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's kinda hard to read in between the attacks. You're right. Got some hard asses in here. Thanks for... well. No thanks. Seems some of the people within the halls of browncafe can use clocks cleaned. You're just as ruthless as management. No wonder you're in HERE.

Let's see if I can recap---you come here thinking you're the best thing since sliced bread and get pissed when we try to bring you back down to reality.

Sound about right?

pretzel_man

I really have a policy to not indulge trolls, but I just can't help myself. I am just too amused.....

A CFO that had to put his items in a pawn shop??? I guess there was no financial analysis there.....

I see some buzzwords from a person who worked in an accounting office (maybe), not ones a CFO would use... AP/AR??? A talent for troubleshooting worldship???

Finally, you are zero for 600 from the resume's you submitted? 0 for 600? Then you blame UPS for that? 0 for 600?