Realistically, how likely is it I will be kept on as a permanent driver?

Purple2Brown

Like the title says. I know its supposed to be slim but the supervisor that has trained me on the route makes it sound like I have a really good chance of being hired on permanently if I can show them that I can do the route they gave me exceptionally well. I've even been told that because of my past experience at a competitor company that they placed me on a "regular" route and that this would put my chances of being hired permanently above all the other seasonal drivers that are looking for the opportunity as a permanent driver.

I just don't want to have high hopes and be SOL at the end of the season, because the way this supervisor makes it sound, I have a decent shot and this is something I really need.

Just wanted to know if those of you have years under your belt working for UPS see a lot of seasonals get hired permanently. I've been told they usually keep 2-3 out of the 20 or 30 seasonals they hire.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
It depends on where you are (center) and where in the progression where 6 inside part-timers are hired to every off-the-street.
UPS will try and get as many off the street as possible because it increases the chances of hiring an exemplary driver such as Dave.
Also, the inside part-timers are usually unsuccessful the first try at driving and take 2 or 3 times to make it.
So the actual ratio is probably 3 - 1.

Don't make any long-range plans or incur debt until March 2017.
You should know by then.

Meanwhile, concentrate on route knowledge and methods until determination.

Purple2Brown

...and why do they say it...if they told them the truth they wouldn't stay...

I'd still stay. Tbh, I'm making more money now than I ever have doing something that, to me, is kind of fun... In-fact I would prefer to be told straight out that there is absolutely no chance if there really isn't one instead of being told that I have a superior opportunity above the rest.

Last edited:

Holydriver

i wa
Like the title says. I know its supposed to be slim but the supervisor that has trained me on the route makes it sound like I have a really good chance of being hired on permanently if I can show them that I can do the route they gave me exceptionally well. I've even been told that because of my past experience at a competitor company that they placed me on a "regular" route and that this would put my chances of being hired permanently above all the other seasonal drivers that are looking for the opportunity as a permanent driver.

I just don't want to have high hopes and be SOL at the end of the season, because the way this supervisor makes it sound, I have a decent shot and this is something I really need.

Just wanted to know if those of you have years under your belt working for UPS see a lot of seasonals get hired permanently. I've been told they usually keep 2-3 out of the 20 or 30 seasonals they hire.
i was hired full time after working a peak season. how did i do it? busted my ass, did what i was hired to do, did it well, and didnt bitch about it to my supervisors. there is hope for you. BUT, there truths to the job that you could learn on this board. one major truth is that peak is actually the easiest part of the year when weoking at UPS. the rest of the year is harder and more time consuming. and if you are a family man it can become too much. especially if you are a single parent or whatever. then the job becomes bull:censored2: when your supe tries to get you to work when your kid is unable to go to school cuz theyre sick and you gotta make the choice. obviously you say :censored2: you to UPSbut you get it

PT Car Washer

I'd still stay. Tbh, I'm making more money now than I ever have doing something that, to me, is kind of fun... In-fact I would prefer to be told straight out that there is absolutely no chance if there really isn't one instead of being told that I have a superior opportunity above the rest.
Then take the money and hope you will be offered a permanent PT job sometime after Peak. Work PT until Spring and hope a Seasonal or FT driving job opens up. Going from Seasonal to FT is very rare without at least working PT for a few months.

barnyard

KTM rider
If it is my building, there is zero chance. My building needs 4 more inside promotions before another outside person can be hired.

So, knock yourself out.

PT Car Washer

If it is my building, there is zero chance. My building needs 4 more inside promotions before another outside person can be hired.

So, knock yourself out.
Same as my building. You would have a better chance going FT being a seasonal package handler and being kept on permanent then a seasonal driver and being let go after Peak. We never see those guys again unless they come back working PT.

ManInBrown

He might not be lying. Off the street hires are all in one group of drivers. Doesn't matter which one started first or which one started last. They can keep the 1 driver they like the best

ManInBrown

Same as my building. You would have a better chance going FT being a seasonal package handler and being kept on permanent then a seasonal driver and being let go after Peak. We never see those guys again unless they come back working PT.
Not here. Seasonal drivers have been hired permanent left and right. Last year they even made one guy permanent in August. We were so short on drivers they didn't even bother using him thru peak and then laying him off and calling him back. A few weeks after he made it thru his 30 they hired him permanent. I was actually walking out with him one night and he was telling me he had to come in an hour early for a conference call. center manager told him he was being hired permanent. I was shocked. I thought he misunderstood them. Sure enough next day in the PCM they make an announcement. Let's welcome so and so who has just been put on permanent.

I think the 4 year progression has changed the whole ballgame. They are hiring permanent left and right here. Off the street. From what I've been told the PT to FT bid sheet has been completely exhausted. I think it's the 4 years, and Saturday ground work around the corner that has them in a hiring frenzy

WorknLateHuh

It's so strange how in 1 part of the country there is a 8 year waiting list, and then on the other you walk in off the street and they hand u a 80k/yr career potentially.

ManInBrown

It's so strange how in 1 part of the country there is a 8 year waiting list, and then on the other you walk in off the street and they hand u a 80k/yr job potentially.
I hear ya. It's crazy. I see new faces everyday driving. Don't even know who they are. And they never leave. From off the street to permanent in a flash.

Box Ox

It's so strange how in 1 part of the country there is a 8 year waiting list, and then on the other you walk in off the street and they hand u a 80k/yr career potentially.

Will probably see more of the shorter wait. Lotta part timers see what driving has become relative to what old timers say it used to be. They'd rather have flexibility at UPS+insurance for the family and a 2nd job than the daily micromanagement and harassment drivers can get. Can't blame them. Part time with a side gig is probably more of a career path than full time these days.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
It depends on where you are (center) and where in the progression where 6 inside part-timers are hired to every off-the-street.
UPS will try and get as many off the street as possible because it increases the chances of hiring an exemplary driver such as Dave.
Also, the inside part-timers are usually unsuccessful the first try at driving and take 2 or 3 times to make it.
So the actual ratio is probably 3 - 1.

Don't make any long-range plans or incur debt until March 2017.
You should know by then.

Meanwhile, concentrate on route knowledge and methods until determination.
Where did you pull those numbers from? They look like you have dingle berries hanging off them

jaker

trolling
The same with feeder in parts of the country , I see on this site guys are going from PT and where I am at it takes 12 years of FT

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
When you think about it, it's like the lines we gave to the old girlfriends.

y8JP7E.gif

Last edited:

a911scanner

In my building, it seems like they keep roughly 1 out of every 10 seasonal drivers. Therefore, you would have about a 10% chance in my building, but it is still a chance.