Really Stupid Message

over9five

Staff member
I remember when I got the wrong OCA, I could refuse it and there was a comment part where I would put "Should go to John".
Can you guys no longer do that?

browniehound

I remember when I got the wrong OCA, I could refuse it and there was a comment part where I would put "Should go to John".
Can you guys no longer do that?

We can still do it Over, but we are scolded for it through an ODS message. Maybe its just my center and my manical center manager.

browniehound

Brownie,

Have you talked with your center manager, as that procedure is just plain wrong. If the dispatcher is making a mistake on a premium product like OCA, the dispatcher needs to be held accountable, that is why the report is generated. I

t's not if our drivers aren't busy enough with their routes, and then have to deal with an error, that could and should have never occurred.

If you don't see any results, contact the Security hotline or call the 1-800 number, regarding this integrity issue.

Chan,
The directive came from the center manager. Do you think I should ask his boss?

Its a waste of my time to accept it and then send a message to have it canceled and then to send another message when its not canceled.

Now, with more routes being cut the frequency of error is increasing with these OCAs.

Channahon

Brownie,

If you feel comfortable speaking with your Division Manager, you should mention it to him. I'm not familiar with this system, and as we all know it takes a while to get the "bugs" out, so to speak.

If the center manager specifically addressed the issue to reduce the number of errors on a report, that's just wrong and an integrity issue in my mind. The reason for reports is to analyze them and find a resolution not mask the problem.

You always have the option of the 1-800 number and you can stay anonymous, but I can assure you, the matter will be looked at, as a response has to be sent back to Corporate, and the resolution of the concern is reviewed with the District Manager, HR and Division Manager.

justsignhere

channahon has some good info..although to much money is spent on sending the messges via ODS, babysitting service providers because it is feared on that day that there may be service failures, when all that had to be done was proper dispatch, and then follow up the next morning with the SP's that had the failure...method violations shouldn't be tolorated and the individuals responsible should be held accountable...also PCM's should not be spent reminding everyone what their job is....should be informative and beneficial to everyone..just don't mention the stock price...LOL

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Brownie,

If you feel comfortable speaking with your Division Manager, you should mention it to him. I'm not familiar with this system, and as we all know it takes a while to get the "bugs" out, so to speak.

If the center manager specifically addressed the issue to reduce the number of errors on a report, that's just wrong and an integrity issue in my mind. The reason for reports is to analyze them and find a resolution not mask the problem.

You always have the option of the 1-800 number and you can stay anonymous, but I can assure you, the matter will be looked at, as a response has to be sent back to Corporate, and the resolution of the concern is reviewed with the District Manager, HR and Division Manager.

Why not get rid of the stupid report and let the OMS and the driver get it to the right person. This company wastes so much time and money not trying to show up on reports.

bad company

semi-pro
...Try using your brain for the questionable 5 percent..

Actually, if there happens to be a questionable OCA, they could simply enter in the address into DMS and it would tell them which driver has that area for the day. So there is no excuse.

The probelms I see are when the oms' use data query from a previous day. I may have had 123 smith st because my dispatch sup made a poor add/cut yesterday, but it does not mean that I have 123 smith st today. When I send it back, I get a message with "But you had it yesterday".
And I respond with "that was Yesterday, i.e. the past.... dee dee dee"

deedeedee.jpg

Loco170Brownie

browniehound said:

I consider myself an easy going driver and my opinion is that it takes a lot to get under my skin. A recent issue at UPS is doing it however. We are no longer permitted to kick-back OCA that are mistakenly sent to us. The reason is with the new ODS-e system the dispacthers now show on a report for an OCA sent to the wrong driver.

We got this same direction a couple months ago. I also find it stupid, we have a clerk here (Clueless Chris, funny how half the nickname for clerks is nationwide) who seems to send me every OCA for my loop and I always did the "not in area, goes to so and so". Same thing happened, I took it, sent a message, it wasnt taken out of my board till three messages and a phone call. It was like they thought I just didnt want to do it and if they ignored me I would just do it. I have since just refused them with no message saying who they go to. Funny how he can now figure them out and I have never heard anything about it.

Sometimes I think clerks send OCAs to more experienced drivers just to find out where they should go because it easier or quicker than looking it up. JMO

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually, if there happens to be a questionable OCA, they could simply enter in the address into DMS and it would tell them which driver has that area for the day. So there is no excuse.

That would work most of the time but may not when you have areas that overlap. For example, the area I deliver in the morning has another driver for the pickups, so who would get the OCA would depend upon what time of the day it is dispatched. For example, I deliver to the medical building next to our local hospital. I normally have this delivered by 11am and am nowhere near this area the rest of the day. On the other hand, one of my co-workers delivers the former AFB in the morning and I make the afternoon pickups so assigning OCAs properly can be difficult.

Johngil

The one that gets me the most is when the OMS's start second-guessing what we tell them. I had 2 messages today about a pkg that was supposed to be on my truck (EDD, yes we went live today) and the first time I told her that I didn't have it. She sent back, it (PAS) says it's on your truck. Ya well no ****t sherlock (didn't really say that - wanted to), it's in my board too but I DON"T HAVE IT!

Lots of times, not everytime mind you. Next morning I'll check ett and find that you delvd pkg. that afternoon, after saying you did'nt have it several times.. It can be frustrating on both sides. :surprised:

The one that gets me the most is when the OMS's start second-guessing what we tell them. I had 2 messages today about a pkg that was supposed to be on my truck (EDD, yes we went live today) and the first time I told her that I didn't have it. She sent back, it (PAS) says it's on your truck. Ya well no ****t sherlock (didn't really say that - wanted to), it's in my board too but I DON"T HAVE IT!

Lots of times, not everytime mind you. Next morning I'll check ett and find that you delvd pkg. that afternoon, after saying you did'nt have it several times.. It can be frustrating on both sides. :surprised:
There could be more than one answer to that.
1) depending on the time of day and how heavy of a load, the package could be mixed in with a bulk stop that isn't delivered till later in the day. It isn't feasible or even possible sometimes to look at every package in the car.
2) a neighboring driver may have had the package and given it to the correct driver at some point.
3)It may have been left in the bldg and then taken to the driver later in the day.

Johngil

There could be more than one answer to that.
1) depending on the time of day and how heavy of a load, the package could be mixed in with a bulk stop that isn't delivered till later in the day. It isn't feasible or even possible sometimes to look at every package in the car.
2) a neighboring driver may have had the package and given it to the correct driver at some point.
3)It may have been left in the bldg and then taken to the driver later in the day.

1) Than instead of saying I don't have it!, Would'nt it be better to say I don't know if I have it.
2) Should'nt driver communicate with OMS saying I have a M/R, and I gave it to <insert name>.
3)If the OMS is on top of his dispatch, he should know if pkg was left in building, or arrived to building late.

The OMS is trying to resolve a customer issue, so should gather as much info as possible to try to resolve and satisfy the customer.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If I had found it I would have ODS'd it in per instructions. My point was: listen the first time and stop wasting my time.
I understand that the OMS is trying to deal with a customer (usually a difficult customer) but it does no good to harrass the driver into finding a pkg that is sometimes impossible to find. All it does is piss off the driver and then the OMS has a difficult customer and a difficult driver.

PS If you don't remove the quotation marks
[quote/] it makes it alot easier for the rest of us to differentiate from your post and what's being quoted.

1) Than instead of saying I don't have it!, Would'nt it be better to say I don't know if I have it.
2) Should'nt driver communicate with OMS saying I have a M/R, and I gave it to <insert name>.
3)If the OMS is on top of his dispatch, he should know if pkg was left in building, or arrived to building late.

The OMS is trying to resolve a customer issue, so should gather as much info as possible to try to resolve and satisfy the customer.

Well sure that would be nice, but there alot of things that would be nice if they really got done but don't. The driver is trying to deliver packages as fast and safe as possible, this should help with satisfying the customers. Spending too much time texting, calling and reading messages takes away from our day light which is a premium.

A simple message of " If you have package for 123 main st, 1Z1234560178901234 please contact Cris the Clueless ASAP, thank you." Would resolve as much, in as short of a time, as three or four messages hounding (and sometimes accusing the driver of lying) would ever resolve.
All we ask is that the OMSes use their heads for thinking every now and then.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well sure that would be nice, but there alot of things that would be nice if they really got done but don't. The driver is trying to deliver packages as fast and safe as possible, this should help with satisfying the customers. Spending too much time texting, calling and reading messages takes away from our day light which is a premium.

A simple message of " If you have package for 123 main st, 1Z1234560178901234 please contact Cris the Clueless ASAP, thank you." Would resolve as much, in as short of a time, as three or four messages hounding (and sometimes accusing the driver of lying) would ever resolve.
All we ask is that the OMSes use their heads for thinking every now and then.
:please:Though I know it will never happen:rofl::whatever: