Reasons a driver would want to go into Management

hangin455

Money - on-road supervisor makes more than the highest paid driver.
Never have to worry about integrity.
Supervisor get to take lunches off trace.
Get to wear feeder uniforms.
No one berates him/her about their over-allowed the next morning.
Can take a day-off even if a higher seniority driver wants it off too.
Can sell any marijuana found in packages.
Don't have 3% of their salary extorted for Union dues to pay for stewards that don't have to pay dues.
Never get OJSed.
They get to pick the PC they deliver in and always get one with 3 point seat belt.
Never have to lock the bulkhead door.
DR anywhere they want to.

Anybody think of any other reasons?
Seems as though this was started as a "tongue in cheek" topic and there were some funny responses. I just can't help feeling sad that there are no legitimate reasons why a seniority driver would enter management anymore. I've heard said that Casey wouldn't recognize his company today. I don't think I'll be able to recognize it in another five years.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Seems as though this was started as a "tongue in cheek" topic and there were some funny responses. I just can't help feeling sad that there are no legitimate reasons why a seniority driver would enter management anymore. I've heard said that Casey wouldn't recognize his company today. I don't think I'll be able to recognize it in another five years.

Huh?!?

This is serious stuff. Oh, I just thought of another good reason:

Ability to shut down real emotions and find some humor in the face of reality.

705red

Browncafe Steward
When the driver stops caring about the customers he should join management, they stopped caring a long time ago.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Seems we have run out of them.

Not Yet!!

(In the Airline) - you get to go down to the 1DA operation at various Gateways and babysit mechanics that want to destroy the Company because they want a pay raise and will not contribute to their Health benefits. At the same time, they will whine about not having a Contract for 3+ years and not acknowledge the reason for that is their own Leadership has (at least) a 50% stake in the problem......

BrownBlue

New Jack
In my center, the reason drivers go into management is because they were piss poor drivers and could not hack it at the driver position. And later tell you, "When I was a driver...." Failing to mention it was for a mere 90 days and they were sent out with half routes because they couldn't handle a full day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In my center, the reason drivers go into management is because they were piss poor drivers and could not hack it at the driver position. And later tell you, "When I was a driver...." Failing to mention it was for a mere 90 days and they were sent out with half routes because they couldn't handle a full day.

I'm sure that happens occasionally.
A person could be a very good management candidate and not that good a driver.
We all know that being a scratch UPS driver requires a certain set of skills and discipline. That same set of skills are not the same set of skills needed to be a good management person.
I remember back in the 70's and 80's when the thought was that a driver that was a humper would make a good supervisor. Wound up with a lot of suboptimal management people before we figured out that was not true.

You hear the same thing from supervisors saying the ones that get promoted to manager were not the best supervisor. Same logic applies.
And managers complain that the ones that get promoted to Division manager were not the best center managers.
And so on and so on.
I imagine there were some on the management committee that thought Scott Davis was not the best one to be promoted to CEO.

browniehound

You get to motivate your employees with cool phrases like,

"That section practically delivers itself"

and

"Make it happen!"

Along these lines "That section comes off easy"??? The only thing making those packages come off the truck is me, and its never easy, my friend!

browniehound

You have the desire to make the company better and improve operations. You want to promote teamwork and create a positive work environment.
You would like to implement some cost saving initiatives while maintaining or improving customer service.
You want to improve delivery efficiency by fixing dispatch problems instead of pushing increased productivity.

And then you find out you can't accomplish this because your hamstrung by your superiors and forced to make numbers that show what you said above but actually don't in reality. Now your stuck in a crap position because you have zero authority to make any meaningfull changes.

I hope for my favorite supervisor's sake that its really not this way?