Recently Terminated--NEED Help

whiskey

I am sorry to hear about you losing your job. UPS want’s to have there cake and eat it too. I am sure they lower mangent knew about this .When the s… hits the fan they change there stories act surprised yea right
I am guessing this driver is a runner gunner I am sure the supervisor thinks he is ok guy makes the numbers .I would guess he skips lunch to make them happy so as not to go over allowance.
One thing that young and some older drivers need to understand this is not a 9 to 5 job for get making junior’s soccer game, stop skipping lunch speeding sheeting stops when not there.
Make them cut a route in.
Work by methods that is it.
Amen brother.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
The funny thing here is that we all have either been asked or witnessed someone being asked by management to sheet a NDA before its commit time. If this is a real driver in this situation I would be sure that there is a lot more junk in his closet then he is letting onto. For heavan sakes Ive been instructed countles times to sheet our air and ground sepperately to pad are dispatch, Ive also been instructed to sheet misroutes as closed or NI1, heck I even had a sup once instruct me to sheet tires as over 70 due to the fact that its an Ireg. So what Im getting at is that deppending on the center it seems that the rules arnt exactly the same everywhere. However I would be the first to say that only after many years did I see the benefit in doing it by the book.

RockdaleEddie

Optimized
My question is: why is it when I was trained on-route, the supervisor insisted that I sheet any NDA that was going to be late before 10:30 even if it was delievered after that?

Why is it that the company can set a standard like that, then fire someone else for the same exact dishonesty it preaches?
So true SOOOOOOO true. When I was a rookie in 94 the sup on my car peeled off the red stickers on the ones that were going to be late.But I guess that makes it ok because noooobody could tell with just 6 little numbers if it was an air or not. This GPS is cool I like it but I dont cheat...to much lol. But now its just not a good idea to do anything dishonest.

mrfi

The real deal is that management is unethical and a bunch of liars which in turn breads unethical behavior by employees. All you saints out there are a bunch of liars too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The real deal is that management is unethical and a bunch of liars which in turn breads unethical behavior by employees. All you saints out there are a bunch of liars too.

Thank you for such a well thought out and insightful first post. I look forward to more of your invaluable contributions to this forum. BTW, the word you are looking for is breeds.

steve 2014

You are 100% correct this is probably a "burner" "runner" hope he loses his job! I'm sick and tired of these losers making me and the rest of the non bonus drivers that do are jobs correctly look bad good riddance

over9five

Staff member

It's always the bad apples who justify their actions by saying "everyone else does it".

It's simply not true. Most of us will take the lumps for doing the job right.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It's always the bad apples who justify their actions by saying "everyone else does it".

Thank you Over!

Just for your edification. Oh, I guess I will have to Wiki that as well. You probably don't know what that means either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread........
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/edification

utaste1

I am confused, I have been full time for two years, and I have experienced relentless pressure from management to perform way better then my present skill allows me to. I am not saying that excuses his defiant behavior, but I can't believe u "old timers" won't give him the benefit of the doubt, we don't go out with 40 deliveries any more! But u bashers probably walked in your first day perfect. Either way your overcritical attitudes are rediculous and u would be perfect management candidates yourselves.

Sorry for your "hard times", I feel for you. Hope u get your job back!

mrfi

Thank you for such a well thought out and insightful first post. I look forward to more of your invaluable contributions to this forum. BTW, the word you are looking for is breeds.

I tend to look up words when I don't know the definition. But this time I missed it. Thank you for your reply even though it was very sarcastic and hurtful. Maybe I hit a nerve that has been aching for a while. What are you hiding?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am confused, I have been full time for two years, and I have experienced relentless pressure from management to perform way better then my present skill allows me to. I am not saying that excuses his defiant behavior, but I can't believe u "old timers" won't give him the benefit of the doubt, we don't go out with 40 deliveries any more! But u bashers probably walked in your first day perfect. Either way your overcritical attitudes are rediculous and u would be perfect management candidates yourselves. Sorry for your "hard times", I feel for you. Hope u get your job back!

Thanks--I was having a bad day and needed something to laugh at and your post fit the bill.

Let me give you a real life example. You and your S/O are in the process of buying a house and are at the closing and are waiting for a NDA pkg from the bank's attorneys. Your boy doesn't feel as though he should be bothered to get it there by the commit time so he sheets it NI 1 and then decides he will swing by later that afternoon and deliver it as that is when it is more convenient for him to do so. Meanwhile, you, your S/O, your lawyer, the seller and their lawyer, and the realtors are all sitting there waiting for the pkg to show so that you can close on your house.

THAT IS WHY WE ARE MAKING SUCH A BIG DEAL OF WHAT YOUR BOY IS DOING!!

Your boy was being dishonest and for that he deserves to lose his job. Period.

BTW, why don't you come up to Plattsburgh and be my helper this Peak? I'll show you what this "old timer" can still do.

mrfi

I never said everyone else does it. Your problem is putting words into other peoples mouths. There is no justification here. Bad ethics at the top leads to bad ethics at the bottom. So the fix is at the upper level management.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I never said everyone else does it. Your problem is putting words into other peoples mouths. There is no justification here.
Bad ethics at the top leads to bad ethics at the bottom. So the fix is at the upper level management.

Not necessarily true, although you are right to an extent.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Keep it up, your actions and responses just cost a part time sup thirty minutes of hard labor. In fact I am going to layoff low seniorities and bring the free help in. My DM would like to thank you for help raising our production and lowering our costs.

The sad part is Forest Gump has more wisdom then UPS socks. Does your owner ever wash you?? If you were my Socks I'd tear off the logo and have you put in the dumpster.:surprised: Take a pic of that and you now have an avatar more suited.

All Day

I have read this for days and would like to chime in.

I do agree with many things that management does, but as a driver, I do not justify pointing at bad behavior to justify our bad behavior......so those who are blaming management in this case holds no water.
This driver is a joke in my opinion. We are ALL under great pressure to perform. Most of us have more work than we know what to do with. But that does not allow us to cut corners.
This guy acts like he was being honest with everyone as he mislead NDA deliveries. I disagree. Here is what I would have did.
If he really did get all these places to agree to deliver air on trace, then he should have told the driver sup about it. Then the sup could have either said, "I don't care, deliver it on time." Or he could have set it up with all the said companies to deliver on trace and sheet as "customer request" for the reason being late. I honestly don't know if the second would be what the sup would want, but I know that customer request is an option for late air so I would think it might apply here.
My guess is this driver was cutting out air chasers, and got away with it long enough he cut out any air he didn't feel like breaking off for. As a vacation driver, I have to deal with people like this all the time. Drivers that call pick ups, sheet air as NI, work during break, and fixing their load before start time are just a few things I know that is being done. It bites when I get ragged on because I can't get as much done as some of these driver because I refuse to cut corners. I work very hard, and do what I am told.

I don't know if this guy deserves to lose his job, but I am sick of drivers like this.

Last edited:

brownrodster

You are 100% correct this is probably a "burner" "runner" hope he loses his job! I'm sick and tired of these losers making me and the rest of the non bonus drivers that do are jobs correctly look bad good riddance

There are two drivers in my center that I take great pleasure in making them look bad. If they weren't such A-holes I wouldn't do it.

browniehound

The Otherside wrote:
Heres where you stand: you are terminated for dishonesty. Of all the topics on this board you should have read, I posted one when this contract was being ratified that explained just this scenario. Of all the training you recieved over the 3.5 years driving, where were you instructed to sheet anything away from the delivery point or sheet as closed or NI1 to avoid a 1030am commit time? Only an idiot would believe that he/she could circumvent the system designed to catch such dishonesty.

I've actually been instructed by a supervisor to sheet a package as "DR FD" that he would deliver later. I have also been given tracking numbers to key-enter and "DR FD" and "signature on paper" that were delivered hours before by the supervisor.

I have also been instructed by a supervisor to sheet 15 packages for a school at 16:45 as closed after I called in saying they would be missed. The response from the sup. was "Its closed by now, sheet them as closed" and this was far away from the delivery point.

I have to work as directed.

Over95 said 99.9% of us do the job correctly. I think he might want to revise that figure. Dishonesty runs amuck in this company and it starts at the top.