Recieved a warning letter for tardiness

It reads that if I'm late again it's ground for further disciplinary action such as suspension. My question is if I'm on time for 3 months straight and late once, can they suspend me?

Random_Facts

Depends, if you're a brand new employee. You're allowed to be late once and they won't fire/suspend you. Especially if you pull 'preload 3am crap'. Not a lot of people are used to waking up at 2-3am and than go to work. It takes a lot of people time to get used to.

Then again, if you're late by 1-2minutes every single day (not saying that you are, but if that was the case). You'd drive the normal supervisor up the wall, and they would have reason to fire you. everyone makes a mistake sooner or later. =). I wouldn't personally worry about it though.

Billy

That warning letter is effective for 9months. Then it's removed and not able to be used against you anymore. There are few variables that we can control at UPS, but our arrival time is one of them. You will need to be on time for work at UPS just like you would at any other job. Usually it has been my experience that a WL comes after one has been late several times in a short period. It is usually an effort to correct the problem rather than an attack on you.

trickpony1

The company doesn't understand that sometimes things happen to people:
-traffic jams;
-car won't start;
-ran out of gas;
-slept late;
-various other things.
buy a mobile home or travel trailer and park it in the employee parking lot.

bluehdmc

The company doesn't understand that sometimes things happen to people:
-traffic jams;
-car won't start;
-ran out of gas;
-slept late;
-various other things.
buy a mobile home or travel trailer and park it in the employee parking lot.

Accidents or emergency construction is unavoidable. Normal "rush hour" traffic jams can be compensated for by leaving xx minutes earlier.
Most vehicles have this little indicator on the dash board called a "fuel gauge" friend stands for full, E stands for empty NOT EXTRA.
Sleeping late can be be avoided by alarm clocks, most cellular phones also have this feature.
Buying a travel trailer and parking it in the employee parking lot is extreme, also taking one's job (as a loader?) much too seriously , and may be frowned upon by management and local zoning boards. Although your commuting cost would be zero.

abc123

I get to work 15-30 minutes early every day so that I'm not late. I have to sit and wait but it means I'm never late. The only time I had a supervisor not mind me being late was when there was flooding all around the area and traffic was dead stop everywhere. A lot of people called in and almost everyone was late. I actually got a "thanks for coming in." and I was 35 minutes late. I couldn't believe it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I get to work 15-30 minutes early every day so that I'm not late. I have to sit and wait but it means I'm never late. The only time I had a supervisor not mind me being late was when there was flooding all around the area and traffic was dead stop everywhere. A lot of people called in and almost everyone was late. I actually got a "thanks for coming in." and I was 35 minutes late. I couldn't believe it.

lol.

I agree with you. Going into work early is a good habit at a place like UPS, especially when working inside the building.

It's a good time to get adjusted and settle in with no hurry, relax and adjust to the environment; rather than run in and wait at the time clock 2 minutes before shift starts.

Nimnim

The Nim
Personally I subscribe to the mantra, if I'm not there 15 minutes before I'm supposed to be, I'm late. I've only been late a couple times and never got any grief for it because as soon as I knew I was going to be late I called in and let people know. Some things are unavoidable, got a flat tire once that made me late, but other things are completely avoidable. My area doesn't give any credence to the excuse of I got stopped by the train anymore because there's a second road on the other side of the hub that does not intersect with the train tracks and is connected to the road with the train tracks.

Really though, being late on occasion is no big deal, but when it becomes anything close to regular it might be time to try and work out a stagger start with management so they can work staffing around it.

UPSGUY72

It reads that if I'm late again it's ground for further disciplinary action such as suspension. My question is if I'm on time for 3 months straight and late once, can they suspend me?

YES and they can even FIRE you! When I worked the preload They fired 3 or 4 guys for constantly being late or calling in and I'm glad becasue when they showed up late or called in the rest of us had to pick up the slack.

I know that you are young but get into a habit of showing up to work early whether or not your working at UPS it will save you the hassle of getting in trouble and most important your job.

TheKid

I have been at UPS fpr 24 yrs. and I have been late once. Plan ahead...my start time is 8:40....I live 15 minutes away and I leave my house at 8:00....8:10 at the latest

ups2000

my start time is 850 i leave everyday at 840 . takes me 6 mins to get to work and punched in from the time i shut the my front door.

abc123

my start time is 850 i leave everyday at 840 . takes me 6 mins to get to work and punched in from the time i shut the my front door.

Lucky you, it takes me around half an hour to get to work. There is some full-timer (inside) who drives from West Virginia to get to my building (HARPA).

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Be on time or a least if you are going to be late because of an unavoidable situation call in.They save this stuff up. There is nothing worse than trying to defend a person for one reason or another and the sup pulls out a paper showing a person has been late 44 times in a current year. Yup 44 times ! I have been there.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Just drag your butt in at whatever time you awake with the 0.04 blood level and grab a coffee, wear some dark glasses, and don't talk to anyone.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Look, there is a lot of things we( The Union) can defend. Being late or absent is not one of them. If you are late repeatedly, you can and will get fired.