Recieved a warning letter for tardiness

Nimnim

The Nim
Look, there is a lot of things we( The Union) can defend. Being late or absent is not one of them. If you are late repeatedly, you can and will get fired.

This is true, though if the policy isn't evenly enforced the Union can play that card. Just don't expect it to work more than once.

over9five

Staff member
Look, there is a lot of things we( The Union) can defend. Being late or absent is not one of them. If you are late repeatedly, you can and will get fired.

And you should get fired. If you want to work, be there on time to work. It's very simple and the Union should not even try to defend people who can't manage the simple task of getting to work on time.
The Union is not your mom!

Random_Facts

But in my personal opinion, when you're first starting out. First it depends on what shift you're doing. if you're preload (with the start times are always different 4:50am one day. 3:45am the next. 4am the other time, 4:20am the following day). Starting at UPS for the first time can really throw anyone off. Drivers on the other hand start 8:30am everyday, most drivers at least. start the same time monday-friday. So you get into a pattern and it's easy to get into that flow rythme.

But after the first few months, you get adjusted to it. So if you've been there for 3 + months it will be your fault if you're late.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
But in my personal opinion, when you're first starting out. First it depends on what shift you're doing. if you're preload (with the start times are always different 4:50am one day. 3:45am the next. 4am the other time, 4:20am the following day). Starting at UPS for the first time can really throw anyone off. Drivers on the other hand start 8:30am everyday, most drivers at least. start the same time Monday-Friday. So you get into a pattern and it's easy to get into that flow rhythm.

But after the first few months, you get adjusted to it. So if you've been there for 3 + months it will be your fault if you're late.

I don't care if it's your first day or your one millionth day. If your late it's your fault. Excuses are like a//holes, everyone's got one and they all stink!!

You are allowed six occurances in a nine month period. An occurance is a late, a call off, a no call no show, basically anything other than a vacation day, or option day can be considered an occurance. Look at it this way, if you don't get paid for missing the day, it is an occurance. Now most management teams won't mess with you if you aren't habitually late or something and most teams will go out of their way to help when you might have family problems or some kind of issue at home.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I don't care if it's your first day or your one millionth day. If your late it's your fault. Excuses are like a//holes, everyone's got one and they all stink!!

I agree with this because it is a personal work ethic and a way of life. There are exceptions and having a good relationship with the immediate boss MAY result in non-observance. (BTW...I am only stating how I would do it and what I think is Human Nature)

konsole

Try pushing your cars clock (or whichever clock you watch prior to work) forward 2-3 minutes this way its still pretty accurate but gives you a little more sense of urgency.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Driver's can just change their start time in the DIAD if they are late. We start at a different time everyday anyway. Not that I condone this.:smart: My kid wasn't getting up at the normal time for school on Friday. I asked her if she was going to school today. She said "I havent been late yet this week". Sheesh!

over9five

Staff member
Try pushing your cars clock (or whichever clock you watch prior to work) forward 2-3 minutes this way its still pretty accurate but gives you a little more sense of urgency.

How is that? Don't you know that it's ahead 3 minutes? After all, you did it!

rod

Retired 22 years

My wife does this with her car clock. It bugs the hell out of me. Once I set it back so it read a few minutes the other direction. She didn't think that was funny.

brownandproud

If a person will not protect his/her job (by simply being there ontime) why should anyone else?:angry:

Too often we hear the whining and complaining from those who do not protect something that they claim is important to them.
If your job is your money, why leave it laying out?:sick:

Get to bed ontime - get up, go to work, ONTIME.

Or get out!:knockedout:

thebrownbox

Sucks for me my job is 16 miles away.. not sure what it is but I'm near the New York state border and I swear almost every week or every other week it's always a car and a tractor trailer or a car hits the barrier.. So since I-95 only has 3 lanes here and 2 of them are closed it a pain.

UPSGUY72

thebrownbox:942969 said:
Sucks for me my job is 16 miles away.. not sure what it is but I'm near the New York state border and I swear almost every week or every other week it's always a car and a tractor trailer or a car hits the barrier.. So since I-95 only has 3 lanes here and 2 of them are closed it a pain.

I drive 52 miles to work everyday and I'm never late. Leave earlier plan on getting there early not right when you need to punch in.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have been on the portion of I-95 he is talking about and it is a total nightmare when there is an accident; however, as upsguy said, you have to plan accordingly. I know that the local TV stations do live traffic reports to help motorists avoid trouble areas.

upsguy, my delivery area averages 52 miles.