Recollections of Peak 2010

bigbrownhen

It was a rather nice peak here. Being lucky enough to have a great bunch to work with in my loop, decent weather, and a good helper was the key. Management did a fairly decent job with dispatch, both routes and pick ups. All in all, it was one of the better peaks I have worked.

Christmas

I beat my head against the side of the truck and wept softly. *********************************

Last edited by a moderator:

brownelf

what I'll remember is the long hrs and the multiple days that I brought stops back to the building, it's been many years since I've returned to building with stops left on days without major weather issues. Dispatching drivers with excessive stops (300-400+) on cars in marginal conditions(ice covered roads/snow) led to many injuries/accidents and service failures this year. Most accidents/injuries occurred after dark in the hrs from 6-9pm, maybe someday safety will really become a priority again at Xmas. Can't wait to hear the costs incurred by our center for these issues at the january safety meeting. Hopefully these costs will cause management to revise the X-mas plan to include a few more routes to be built next year, but I'm not holding my breath..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
..... maybe someday safety will really become a priority again at Xmas. Can't wait to hear the costs incurred by our center for these issues at the january safety meeting. Hopefully these costs will cause management to revise the X-mas plan to include a few more routes to be built next year, but I'm not holding my breath..

Have faith. I am confident that the problem will be addressed in a timely fashion by some nitwit in a cubicle who will spend the next 5 months inventing a new Seven Point Ice and Snow Commentary for you guys to memorize and recite every day by next peak. There will be a test and an audit and if you score 100% you will get a cookie. The solution isnt more routes; the solution is new and better word games.

brown&out

We had those issues going last year in the midwest (Nebraska, Iowa). I had certain stops that I carried for almost 3 weeks before I could get clean. It was the perfect storm of under-staffing, record blizzards in November and December, the inability of city, county and state crews to keep the roads clean, ................ I always pray that if we are going to have bad weather, that it at least holds off until after peak is over. This year has been so easy for me. I know other locations are experiencing what we went through last year. I don't wish that on anybody; it's still fresh in my mind how awful last peak was in my part of the country.

brownedout

Except for record-breaking cold (made even worse with wind chills) weather was a non-factor, for the first time in about 9 years. Only measurable snow, was a Squall driving in one morning, which just made me, plus a few others late to start. The road was like amatuer hour during, and just after this event. Happens every year during first winter storm. Looking outside now looks like about 8 - 10 inches and who knows how much more? I haven't seen a forecast since about 10 this morning when total was upped once again to 10- 14 inches. Looks like they probably upped it some more. S(no)w problem however, was informed Thursday via DIAD message that I'm off tomorrow (seniority has it's privledges). To all my co-workers in the east please do be careful out there.

Raw

Raw Member
Easy peak, got less than 2 hours OT last paycheck and maybe 5-6 hours OT last week. In shorts last week as it was a balmy 70`. Never delivered in the dark as I saved my lunch to the end of the day. I grew up up north but moved to Florida when I was 19. Can`t understand why anyone would want to live up north let alone work as a UPS driver in that terrible weather!? I`m dreading the next 2 days as it will be below 60`! Looking forward to temps in the mid 70`s by thursday! :sad-very:

Raw

Raw Member
Easy peak, got less than 2 hours OT last paycheck and maybe 5-6 hours OT last week. In shorts last week as it was a balmy 70`. Never delivered in the dark as I saved my lunch to the end of the day. I grew up up north but moved to Florida when I was 19. Can`t understand why anyone would want to live up north let alone work as a UPS driver in that terrible weather!? I`m dreading the next 2 days as it will be below 60`! Looking forward to temps in the mid 70`s by thursday! :sad-very:
We also take home more money here as NO STATE TAX! :wink2:

brownedout

Except for record-breaking cold (made even worse with wind chills) weather was a non-factor, for the first time in about 9 years. Only measurable snow, was a Squall driving in one morning, which just made me, plus a few others late to start. The road was like amatuer hour during, and just after this event. Happens every year during first winter storm. Looking outside now looks like about 8 - 10 inches and who knows how much more? I haven't seen a forecast since about 10 this morning when total was upped once again to 10- 14 inches. Looks like they probably upped it some more. S(no)w problem however, was informed Thursday via DIAD message that I'm off tomorrow (seniority has it's privledges). To all my co-workers in the east please do be careful out there.
Seniority be damned, looks like no one's going out today. State of emergency in Jersey since late yesterday afternoon. According to news reports anyone brave, or stupid, enough to go out has gotten stuck. Be careful,and safe digging/blowing out everyone.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We also take home more money here as NO STATE TAX! :wink2:

I am more than happy to pay a bit more in taxes in order to avoid living in a gigantic sauna that is 1/2 an inch above sea level. I can drive west for 1 hour and be at the beach, or I can drive east for 90 minutes and be snow skiing up on Mount Hood all twelve months out of the year.

Enjoy your nice weather now. This summer, when it is a dry and balmy 75 or 80 degrees here, you will be sweating your ass off in 95 degrees and 100% humidity. I get to look at deer and elk in the woods, you get to look at mosquitoes and alligators in a swamp.

And most importantly of all, we dont talk funny.:wink2:

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Had the best helper of my 22 years. Nearly no snow. Nearly no late air. Overall pretty smooth, despite months of planning. I did notice a LOT of drivers had missing helpers or had to share due to some dismal helper hiring choices. While I lucked out with my helper, I was kind of amazed that we got such a bad crop of help with all the unemployed to choose from.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Only had one HORRIBLE day, which was the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. Thats when they tried to stuff 265 stops and 469 pieces in a 7cube. The next day I had my 1000 cube back from the dealer. Other than that it was between 290 stops and 310 stops a day up until 12/23 when they pulled some split off me and dropped my count down to 275. It was nice to see a heavier peak this year which gives you hope that the economy is turning.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I did notice a LOT of drivers had missing helpers or had to share due to some dismal helper hiring choices. While I lucked out with my helper, I was kind of amazed that we got such a bad crop of help with all the unemployed to choose from.

Thats the main problem I had with peak this year was the Helper situation. I had 8 or 9 different ones. Usually I'm the first driver to start a Helper so I get first pick. My first one was a preload sorter that quit after two weeks. He pulled a no-call no-show twice. I also had a Twilight Sorter that was unreliable and I let him go over the same thing. The rest of the Helpers wouldn't answer their phone, showed up late, or didn't have transportation to come to the meet point. I finally got a good one that lived on my area and he worked his tail off. I recommended him to HR as a rehire.

TheDick

Our helpers got 8.25$/hr which is Calif min wage. In n out burger pays 12$ i think. So when we got 40year plus peeps and a 60year old lady to help a guy do pick ups and run resi? When you pay peanuts you get elephants.