Recording Phone Calls with Management

wilberforce15

So, there are some really easy apps out there (like Record My Call) that will automatically record your conversations.

I live in a "one-party" state, which means that as long as one party in a conversation is aware of the recording, it can be recorded legally. If you are in a conversation, you obviously have your own consent, so you can record all your own conversations.

I'm not sure about how that works with employers, or if the game changes for some reason. Do any of you do this?

It's not exactly unheard of for management to tell you to do something over the phone so that they don't have record of it in the DIAD (usually when telling you to do something unethical or against methods), or deny that a call was made, or deny what was said, etc.

I would only keep these calls to use as an absolute last resort in case my job was on the line. Can anybody comment on whether this is an offense itself? I know cameras and recorders are no-no's in the hub, but what about recording my own phone conversations, especially as a driver with my on-car sup?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If they're asking to break the rules....you are allowed to refuse...say you don't feel comfortable doing it....or oh I need to run that by my steward first. That's what I've told then when sups cconveniently shove papers in my face to sign NOW while I'm busy working. Sorry, I have to read that before I sign anything...I'll bring it back tomorrow.

Alexcross774

Spinning my wheels.
Unless it's a personal threat, I wouldn't do it. If you are asked to do something you think is wrong over the phone, just ask to have it sent on the diad, or via text.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's not in the contract that you have to answer your phone.

That is why the Diad has 2-way communication.

Sups, are less likely to text stupid things....

When they know you can take a picture of their messages.

If they're asking to break the rules....you are allowed to refuse...say you don't feel comfortable doing it....or oh I need to run that by my steward first.

Bingo.

Sorry, I have to read that before I sign anything.

And, I have slow reading comprehension skills. (While on the clock)

Better yet, tell them you will sign anything....

As long as you can have a copy.

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

BUG, suppose the OP did decide to record the conversation? Could it be used during any discussion concerning discipline, whether at the local, regional or national level?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That is why the Diad has 2-way communication.

Sups, are less likely to text stupid things....

When they know you can take a picture of their messages.

Bingo.

And, I have slow reading comprehension skills. (While on the clock)

Better yet, tell them you will sign anything....

As long as you can have a copy.

-Bug-
I never sign anything...in or outside of UPS that I don't read first.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You know why Ace:)
I don't know why.
It would be my position that the call was mutually agreed to by both parties, unless management specifically instructed the employee not to call anymore.
I have never been discouraged to call my management team with a concern or problem, actually to the contrary.
How could this construed as stealing time, if that's your point?

P.S. Calling me Ace is accurate, as I had my first hole-in-one about a month ago.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The company overreaches with the contractual language regarding "recording devices".
In my opinion, that language is intended to protect the company from employees recording information or images that could be considered "proprietary".
In the OP's example, I don't foresee any trade secrets being disseminated between an On-Road Supervisor and a driver while contemplating an on-road instruction.
The company, on many occasions, produce pictures and videos to make their case against a union employee.
Why should we not be afforded the same resources in exposing a member of management who isn't playing by the rules, or to prove or maintain our innocence?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It would be my position that the call was mutually agreed to by both parties, unless management specifically instructed the employee not to call anymore.

Uh....

The OP's post, concerned being "harassed" via cell phone. (company calling them)

I have never been discouraged to call my management team with a concern or problem, actually to the contrary.

If that is "the way you roll".... have at it.

There are drivers, that don't play the company game.

-Bug-