Recording While Traveling

Thebrownstreak

I always live by the complete the stop at the stop. What do I care if I have to stop, shut off package car, stop complete, restart and then drive away. All I hear in my mind is cha ching.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sounds like your supervisor needs a refresher course on the methods.

Let's say you have a pickup at ABC Hardware. They are an occasional shipper and have agreed to put a sign out only when they have something going. You drive by at 14:10, well within the +/- 15 minute window, don't see the sign, drive 10 miles to your next pickup stop, make their pickup, completing both stops in the board. Meanwhile, ABC Hardware gets a last-minute order and, not knowing that you have already driven by, puts the sign out. They close at 5pm. They call in a missed pickup concern at 4:50. ODS-E shows that you did indeed drive by there at 14:10 but shows that you did not complete the pickup stop until 14:25 10 miles away from the pickup location. ODS-E supports the missed pickup concern and you receive a warning letter for a missed pickup.

barnyard

KTM rider

blah, blah, blah

and I would fight that warning letter by pointing out that telematics cannot be used for discipline. If it were usable, I would ask to look at the last week and they would see that when there are packages for that stop, it is completed at the stop, when there are none, it is completed at the next stop. A very, very, very predictable pattern would show.

Is it all about arguing with you??? Why can't you ever shut up and accept that your way is not the only way???

Thebrownstreak

At best, you'll be home 5 min earlier. But nickles and dimes add up. Ups makes billions. You might as well gave them give you some more coin.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Just because a pattern may be predictable does not mean that you are following the methods.

Pull up to the stop, turn the pkg car off, complete the pickup stop, start the pkg car, drive to your next stop. What's that take-----10 seconds, if that?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Let's say you have a pickup at ABC Hardware. They are an occasional shipper and have agreed to put a sign out only when they have something going. You drive by at 14:10, well within the +/- 15 minute window, don't see the sign, drive 10 miles to your next pickup stop, make their pickup, completing both stops in the board. Meanwhile, ABC Hardware gets a last-minute order and, not knowing that you have already driven by, puts the sign out. They close at 5pm. They call in a missed pickup concern at 4:50. ODS-E shows that you did indeed drive by there at 14:10 but shows that you did not complete the pickup stop until 14:25 10 miles away from the pickup location. ODS-E supports the missed pickup concern and you receive a warning letter for a missed pickup.

That warning letter wouldn't be worth the paper its written on. All the driver would have to say is that he drove by the pickup at their scheduled time, saw the "no" sign, and proceeded to his next stop per established routine. The supervisor could certainly still issue the letter if it made him feel better, but from a contractual standpoint it would not be upheld if further disciplinary action were ever taken. And, in 9 months, the letter would go away anyhow.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Just because a pattern may be predictable does not mean that you are following the methods.

Pull up to the stop, turn the pkg car off, complete the pickup stop, start the pkg car, drive to your next stop. What's that take-----10 seconds, if that?

I have 2 pickups on a country road with no shoulder and nowhere to park. They are wineries, with long driveways, and they dont want me going up there unless I need to because I kick up a lot of dust and tear up their steep gravel driveways. So, they hang "yes" signs down by the road if they have anything going out. If there is no "yes" sign, I pull the DIAD out and stop complete the pickup as I drive by. It makes me show up on a report. I dont care. My other options are (a) to stop in the middle of the road, shut off engine, and stop complete, (b) back into the driveway, park, shut off engine, hit stop complete or (c) drive 6 miles to my next pickup and hit stop complete there...by which time I will be outside the +- 15 minute compliance window for the previous pickup.

Option (a) isnt safe. Option (b) isnt particularly safe either and it will report on Telematics as an additional back. Option (c) will show both a GPS discrepancy and a pickup completed outside the compliance time window to show on the on the report. Since any action I take to keep my name from showing up on one report will automatically cause it to appear on a different one, I just quit worrying about the damn reports altogether and use my preferred method of pulling the DIAD with one hand and stop completing the pickup as I drive by.

MethodsMan

There's glitches in that crap. I came one morning and the sup pulled me aside and said, "you had over 70 recording while traveling yesterday".....

Uh, no.....

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I see telematics data go batty all the time. Same vehicle fault of a particular type comes up on all of them, GPS shows vehicles going as the crow flies from point to point. It's hard to take what it says seriously when it does things like that on a regular basis.

Indecisi0n

I have 2 pickups on a country road with no shoulder and nowhere to park. They are wineries, with long driveways, and they dont want me going up there unless I need to because I kick up a lot of dust and tear up their steep gravel driveways. So, they hang "yes" signs down by the road if they have anything going out. If there is no "yes" sign, I pull the DIAD out and stop complete the pickup as I drive by. It makes me show up on a report. I dont care. My other options are (a) to stop in the middle of the road, shut off engine, and stop complete, (b) back into the driveway, park, shut off engine, hit stop complete or (c) drive 6 miles to my next pickup and hit stop complete there...by which time I will be outside the +- 15 minute compliance window for the previous pickup.

Option (a) isnt safe. Option (b) isnt particularly safe either and it will report on Telematics as an additional back. Option (c) will show both a GPS discrepancy and a pickup completed outside the compliance time window to show on the on the report. Since any action I take to keep my name from showing up on one report will automatically cause it to appear on a different one, I just quit worrying about the damn reports altogether and use my preferred method of pulling the DIAD with one hand and stop completing the pickup as I drive by.

I don't care anyway you slice it pulling out the DIAD and completing a stop while driving is not acceptable.

brownIEman

What your are doing is no different than sending a text from your phone, albeit a short one, while you are driving a moving vehicle.
To hell with all the reports, you are distracted driving, even if for a very short period you are being unsafe.