red-circle air driver wage when bidding into full-time driving job

brown_trousers

I just got a phone call offering me a full time driving position. I'm already a part-time air exception driver at top wage ($23.36) and am wondering If I can keep that wage until the full-time wage progression exceeds it. I've read the NMA a few times and it seems kind of vague on the subject. Here is section 41 of the NMA

"Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2008 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment under this paragraph will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression."

Although I do make two different rates of pay: 12.89 for part-time inside work, and 23.36 for part-time driving work. I make WAY more hours driving than I do working inside, but I could imagine UPS trying low-ball me on this one to save some money by using my inside wages instead of my driving wages.

It will be based off your part time inside rate but it will be higher that this. You will start out at I think seventy percent of the top rate ant the beginning of the contract. You can always grieve it for an interpretation because it seems like a gray area.

iruhnman630

I just got a phone call offering me a full time driving position. I'm already a part-time air exception driver at top wage ($23.36) and am wondering If I can keep that wage until the full-time wage progression exceeds it.
If your primary part-time bid job is as an air driver as mine was than yes you will be red-circled at pt air driver top rate.

I doubt that is the case since the inside job is usually the primary job with air driving being extra work regardless of which job gives you more hours.

Last edited:

nystripe96

My supe is pushing me to get on the air driver list. A few guys I've worked with said they got put through to part time airs within 2 years. I have truck driving experience, but very little, & only on automatic when I went for the license. What's a cheap yet thorough alternative to getting the proper amount of prep time in if a position opens up for air driver?

Dnking

FireFalcon
I just got a phone call offering me a full time driving position. I'm already a part-time air exception driver at top wage ($23.36) and am wondering If I can keep that wage until the full-time wage progression exceeds it. I've read the NMA a few times and it seems kind of vague on the subject. Here is section 41 of the NMA

"Part-time employees on the payroll as of July 31, 2008 who subsequently are promoted to full-time employment under this paragraph will be red circled until such time as the calculated progression rate exceeds that rate. The transfer date will become his/her full-time start date for purposes of applying the above progression."

Although I do make two different rates of pay: 12.89 for part-time inside work, and 23.36 for part-time driving work. I make WAY more hours driving than I do working inside, but I could imagine UPS trying low-ball me on this one to save some money by using my inside wages instead of my driving wages.

If your inside rate is higher than the starting pay for a full-time driver($16.10), then you would get that higher rate of pay. We just had a guy that went full-time after working part-time for almost 15 years. He keeps his inside rate, until he reaches top rate. Since your inside rate is lower then you would start off at $16.10

Logb17

I did utility and air driving before I decided to go FT. You will start at Utility rate. At least that is what I started at.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

Being screwed? You're a relatively new employee getting a chance at a FT driving position. If that is what you want, you shouldn't complain about taking a hit. Exception air is entry-level.