Reference: A history of Enhancements

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Discounted employee stock purchase program. Was 10% discount based on the lowest closing price of either the first or last day of the quarter. Changed to 5% and based on the last day of the quarter. We got served!

That's when I dropped out of the DESPP ... I guess that's what was desired.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
​ I believe the we all try to care and do a good job. We are pumped up when the DM or OP communicates the we have power to run the business, but we still have to hit the mark. A mark that are always above our reach. We sometimes have to shake our heads and throw our arms up in the air. And no.. it was not the dance of victory but the sign of giving up. That is the Management attitudes enhanced.

Its a game that you can never win. Its like the bully that stands over you with the ball and every time you jump....he moves the ball up and you miss the target. You either get fed up and fight back or walk away and try again another day or just walk away forever.

brownIEman

Its a game that you can never win. Its like the bully that stands over you with the ball and every time you jump....he moves the ball up and you miss the target. You either get fed up and fight back or walk away and try again another day or just walk away forever.

Our prior CEO was came up through IE. Our current CEO was our head finance guy. The organization has taken note of the fact that every time they crank the numbers higher, performance overall improves, even if no one hits the inflated goals. We will of course hit a point of diminishing returns at some point, if we are not already there. As the top tier get farther away from operations experience, they get farther from the understanding that initially the goals were meant to be tough but realistic. They no longer know what realistic is, and deride any attempt to define it as "excuses".

BrownTie

"Enhance", It's becoming to be a bad word. Use it often and it can have its own meaning. Like; We will not replace Bob who just retired, so now we are enhancing your responsibilities, good luck. If you are really mad, say this "Go Enhance yourself". oops I mean, "Go E#$!%&E yourself"

upsoldtimer

I knew all along this would become a negative forum topic.......so in the words of an old country music tune......."you can feel bad if it makes you feel better"

BrownTie

You got it all wrong. It has not become a negative forum topic, everyone just enhanced their feelings about the topic.

upsoldtimer

There nothing wrong with some negativity. Our country was founded because people were tired of getting screwed.
True but the difference is our country's founders did something about it.....in other words they took action.....they didn't just sit around and commiserate baby....as the founder of UPS once said...."Determined men make conditions, they don't allow themselves to become victims of them."

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
True but the difference is our country's founders did something about it.....in other words they took action.....they didn't just sit around and commiserate baby....as the founder of UPS once said...."Determined men make conditions, they don't allow themselves to become victims of them."

​That was predictable, but I don't agree that we aren't doing anything about it. We're adjusting.

island1fox

Hoax,

I know that you have retired fairly recently.

When you sat with HR --did they tell you that when you reach 65 the Medicare Supplement would be covered by UPS 100% ?

Or has that been "grandfathered" or changed ??

beentheredonethat

Hoax,

When you sat with HR --did they tell you that when you reach 65 the Medicare Supplement would be covered by UPS 100% ?

From what I heard talking with a person who will be retiring recently is that this has been enhanced as well. ALthough it's a gradual enhancement. It goes along the same way health benefits in general for retirees are handled. For each year you worked (before 1991) (give or take a year). You get something like three or four credits per year. For each year after that date you get 1 credit. Prior to 65 the dollar amount per credit is a certain amt to pay for health care. After medicare kicks in the amount per credit drops big time. However, for a person with a lot of years prior to 91 or 92 then there is currently enough to pay 100%. I myself only have a few years in prior to 91. So UPS has locked in the totals they pay while making it that old timers weren't really impacted or at least won't be impacted for quite a while. Mgmt currently working got enhanced on this. Sorry don't know exact details of dollar amounts per credit etc and exact year of enhancement.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax,

Not exactly ...
It is the same formula as the retirement prior to 65 funding except the funding per DDB is $42 instead of $250.
The funding amount is for retiree and spouse.
In my case, it is $2,940 for me to purchase medicare supplemental insurance and the same for my wife.

From what I heard talking with a person who will be retiring recently is that this has been enhanced as well. ALthough it's a gradual enhancement. It goes along the same way health benefits in general for retirees are handled. For each year you worked (before 1991) (give or take a year). You get something like three or four credits per year. For each year after that date you get 1 credit. Prior to 65 the dollar amount per credit is a certain amt to pay for health care. After medicare kicks in the amount per credit drops big time. However, for a person with a lot of years prior to 91 or 92 then there is currently enough to pay 100%. I myself only have a few years in prior to 91. So UPS has locked in the totals they pay while making it that old timers weren't really impacted or at least won't be impacted for quite a while. Mgmt currently working got enhanced on this. Sorry don't know exact details of dollar amounts per credit etc and exact year of enhancement.

Years of service prior to Jan 1, 1993 qualifies 3 DDB units per year of service.
Starting in 1993, one gets 1 DDB for each year of service.

brownIEman

oldtimer, you bring up one of the better and more apt of Casey's sound bites.
It got me to thinking. I wish someone had read that one at a few more meetings of the management committee. You see, the leadership of UPS has been facing steadily worsening cost to serve and competition conditions since around the mid 90's. That has been off set to a great degree by the sea change in the retail industry. For all these years these men (and women, to update Casey's quote) have faced these conditions, and have allowed themselves to become the victims of them. The only effective "actions" they have taken are to reduce the compensation of the partners who report to them. They have thus shown themselves to not be very "determined".

Many of us are greatly disapointed by this. THAT, is in a nutshell what this thread is about.