REFORM PLAN FOR Central States Pension Plan

UPSmechanicinblue

UPS'm

With all due respect. I have read your link and understand your thinking. And yes, I agree, UPS will pay the full pension that you have earned (covering any possible reductions in the CSPF) until the age of 65. This is written in the CURRENT contractual agreement with UPS.

NO WHERE in your stated link does it state that it will make full payments FOR LIFE. The article can't make that claim, at any time, for this is in a supplemental agreement in the Central States section of the Master Contract. The UPS/TEAMSTER Contract agreement is only good through August 1, 2018, it is then that we can see possible wording changes of this "offset" paragraph.

But as of right now until August 1st, 2018, it still states in our contract that benefits split at Normal Retirement Age (age 65). Then, UPS will offset and pay their pension share earned since January 1, 2007 and CSPF will pay what we earned in their plan prior to December 31,2006. And, if CSPF reduces it's benefit, there is NO contractual wording in this contract that states UPS will make up the difference of the CSPF reductions at age 65 and beyond. It states just the opposite. Read this UPS contractual agreement sentence again, slowly..........:

If the benefit paid from the CS Plan is reduced as permitted or required by law, the amount of such reduction shall NOT be included in this offset.

I'll stand firm on my post until someone can show me by facts that SOME WHERE it is written that what I'm saying is incorrect. Please, Show me a UPS or CSPF legal contractual agreement that states our pension is GUARANTEED FOR LIFE (past the age of 65) and I'll admit that I am mistaken. I pray that what I have written and studied is wrong, I really do. I'm just stating what is written (or not written) and not reading hopes and dreams into these outside articles being published.

I'm not here to argue with anyone. But only to help my fellow employees out.

Read my post on this again. Think about it. Go check YOUR retirement calculator on UPSers.com, read our contract. Then you make your own decisions. You'll then understand where I'm coming from.

I have 10 in Central states- still employed-so i'm concerned some but not as much as you, a lot of rumors are out there. I have dug into this way before this happened. I haven't even opened my mail or went into check my retirement on UPSer's.com. I will have another contract to go through probably more before I retire so alot can change.
Please remember you are reading out of a contract handbook for us to review and use. When the Union and UPS sit down to negotiate a contract, they have lawyers etc there and I assure you when they come to an agreement on something there is way more to it that what your seeing in the book. Ever buy or refinance a house? lots of reading and signing
As far as the guarantee for life goes, nothing is and I think we all know that. If UPS decertified from the union anytime down the road everything you have now would change. Even the UPSIBT pension for me and future employees.

As for now all sources say they will make up the difference if you worked into 2008-UPS tried to save the prior 2008 retireres and after 2008 to save them money in the off set but so far haven't but they may get that changed I hope.
UPS wouldnt I feel of spent all the money fighting (carve out thing)this if they new that it being by law the CSPF was reduced they would not be free and clear, I feel they wanted it changed now cause they would have a bigger payout if they wait any longer being the fund is being drained so quickly by others that they would have to pay more in the offset say 10 years down the road.

Also when negotiated in contract the offset, (reduced required by law) There was no other possible alternative for the CSPF to be reduced with out a law change.
What is in the contract now must stay in there and in future contracts is what protects us. All info needed is not just in the little contract book,

it's true this is not over...The reduction amounts don't include the haircut for retiring before age 62 and don't take into account future withdrawals (like Kroger).

The actuary who reviewed the reform plan for the retiree representative said the plan has a 50.4% chance of surviving until 2064 with the new payouts.
What kind of math is he using?

oldngray

nowhere special
That's not how it worked out though. The transfer upsers with less than 20 yrs in CS were cut about 70% and that amount doesn't include retiring before age 62.

I didn't know that. I had over 20 years then so didn't get a reduction when it transferred.

Ms.PacMan

I didn't know that. I had over 20 years then so didn't get a reduction when it transferred.
UPS has a lot to make up. Very scary. If UPS doesn't make up the difference a person with about 50/50 in CS and IBT/ups will net about $1000/mo for 30 yrs of service.

reydluap

UPSmech, I too have done extensive research regarding this topic. I went to my Union hall, have spoke with CSPF and UPS pension employees. I still stand by my post. We just have to agree to disagree. No ill will intended to anyone.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS has a lot to make up. Very scary. If UPS doesn't make up the difference a person with about 50/50 in CS and IBT/ups will net about $1000/mo for 30 yrs of service.

Those numbers seem low. I think the reduction for CS retirees with no UPS plan is $1400 per month or so. A 50/50 pension would also suck but shouldn't be less. I didn't check the number so I might be wrong though.

UPSmechanicinblue

UPSmech,
I respect your post.
Thanks, I respect yours also- I maybe wrong but I read it how you read it before this even went down and was worried. Be best to just ignore the rumors for now and the truth will be out soon. The UNION very well could have the wrong wording they agreed to sign on and we are at loss. Many simple parts contract have to go through arbitration when something comes up. I have no doubt this maybe one of them so it maybe be up to the judge who decides. That is if this does- I sure hope not.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Mug,

We agree, UPS pays it's pension for life. We agree, CSPF pays "a" pension for life. And even what you typed, "says that it will not include any reduction in the offset starting at age 65 regarding your pension" agrees with what I'm stating. NOT INCLUDE ANY REDUCTION IN THE OFSET.

This is how you are confused, UPS at the time of our retirement is paying ALL of the pension liabilities. When you reach age 65, the offset a.k.a. CSPF will start paying there portion. And at this time, we are getting letters stating what the pension cuts from the CSPF plan are POSSIBLY going to amount to (final outcome amount is yet to be decided).

I'll have you read this for a forth time, the contract reads: If the benefit paid from the CS Plan is reduced as permitted or REQUIRED BY LAW, the amount of such reduction shall NOT be included in this offset.

Once again, at the time of this pension split, UPS IS PAYING OUR FULL BENIFIT, not CSPF.

If CSPF was now paying our benefits and UPS was then joined into the wording at age 65, then your interpretation would be valid.

I see it as you are the one confused. I backed my statements on the facts presented and used your own quote to validate my point. I rest my point. I'm prepared for my retirement in full with or without a pension.

I know what the clause says and I know what the clause means. You are interpreting it incorrectly.

The offset is what CSPF pays, not what they should pay.

Let's say Cheryl worked for UPS for 30 years. She is retiring with a $3000/mo pension at age 62. She has 10 years in the UPS pension and 20 years in the CSPF. I will round numbers for easy math.

UPS will pay Cheryl $3000/mo until she turns 65. When she turns 65, UPS will offset what they pay her by the amount that CSPF pays her. Her 20 years in CSPF gives her, say, $2000/mo.

UPS offsets $2000/mo. So how much does UPS pay her? They pay her full pension, $3000 minus the offset, $2000. So UPS pays her $1000, and when added to what CSPF pays her, she still receives her full $3000 pension.

Now, CSPF reduces their portion of her pension by $1000. She now only gets $1000 from CSPF. How much does UPS pay?

The reduction will NOT be included in the offset. UPS cannot include this $1000 reduction in the offset. So what can they offset? They can only offset the $1000 that the CSPF will pay her. They cannot offset the $1000 reduction. Remember, the contract says that the reduction will NOT be included in the offset.

So UPS pays her full pension, $3000 minus the offset, $1000. UPS pays her $2000 added to the $1000 from the CSPF and she still gets her full $3000 pension.

This is what the contract says and this is what the contract means.

To prove it, let's take the exact opposite of what the contract says. Let's say that the contract says that the reduction WILL be included in the offset.

UPS can now include in the offset the $1000 that the CSPF pays her AND the $1000 reduction. Remember, the contract now says that the reduction WILL be included in the offset. So what does UPS pay?

They pay her full pension, $3000 minus the offset, $2000. UPS pays her $1000. Add the $1000 from the CSPF and her pension is now only $2000.

So the wording in the contract, whether the word NOT is in there means two different things. As it should. They are exact opposites. If NOT is in there, UPS pays any reduction. If NOT is not in there, UPS does not pay any reduction. The word NOT is in there, so UPS pays any reduction from the CSPF portion of her retirement.

I'll go one step further to prove that I am right.

The CSPF knows that the clause in the contract means that UPS has to make up any reductions per their letter sent to every UPS employee in tier 3.

The Teamsters know that the clause in the contract means that UPS has to make up any reductions per Hoffa's letter to Congress 2 days before they voted on the Omnibus Spending Bill.

And.....wait for it......your employer, UPS, knows that the clause in the contract means that they have to make up any reductions per the press release issued 3 months after the Omnibus Spending Bill was passed.

So if I'm the one confused as to what the contract says, then so is CSPF, the Teamsters and UPS.

Do you know how many contract lawyers UPS has? If the clause did not mean what I said it meant, what the CSPF said it meant, what the Teamsters said it meant, then these contract lawyers would have debunked it long ago.

They haven't because they can't. It means what I said it means. What the CSPF said it means. What the Teamsters said it means. What UPS said it means.

Since this was such a long post, I'll make one more point. You said your facts were based on the wording of the clause and the retirement calculator.

The retirement calculator says nothing about any cuts. The retirement calculator does not say whether UPS is liable for, or is not liable for, any cuts. The retirement calculator does not address any cuts because they are not here yet. The only thing the retirement calculator tells you is what your retirement will be and who pays what portion, when you retire. The CSPF portion is based on no cuts at this time.

And your fact about what the contract says, that is just your opinion. My opinion on what the contract says and means is backed up by the CSPF, the Teamsters and UPS. Your opinion is backed up by you, and only you.

So someone may be confused, but it is not me.

UPSmechanicinblue

Does anyone understand this or am I reading it wrong? After UPS withdrew the following year they negotiated a separate agreement. I dont recall this-i thought it was all done when contract was done. Ive read this in a few diffferent news articles
http://pensionpulse.blogspot.com/

A group of about 48,000 workers and retirees who earned their benefits by working at United Parcel Service will continue to have their pensions paid in full, thanks to labor contracts between the Teamsters and the company. UPS was for many years the largest employer in the Central States pension fund, but it withdrew from the fund in December 2007 after making one large final payment. After the stock market crash the following year, UPS and the Teamsters negotiated a separate agreement calling for UPS to shelter those workers from any cuts the Central States pension fund might have to make.

Sportello

Does anyone understand this or am I reading it wrong? After UPS withdrew the following year they negotiated a separate agreement. I dont recall this-i thought it was all done when contract was done. Ive read this in a few diffferent news articles

A group of about 48,000 workers and retirees who earned their benefits by working at United Parcel Service will continue to have their pensions paid in full, thanks to labor contracts between the Teamsters and the company. UPS was for many years the largest employer in the Central States pension fund, but it withdrew from the fund in December 2007 after making one large final payment. After the stock market crash the following year, UPS and the Teamsters negotiated a separate agreement calling for UPS to shelter those workers from any cuts the Central States pension fund might have to make.
Those who retired after December 2007 will have the difference paid by UPS for the time being. Those who retired prior to that are being proposed to have their pensions severely cut.

Laws and contracts can change. That is why retirees prior to 2007 are getting shafted.

UPSmechanicinblue

Those who retired after December 2007 will have the difference paid by UPS for the time being. Those who retired prior to that are being proposed to have their pensions severely cut.

Laws and contracts can change. That is why retirees prior to 2007 are getting shafted.
My question is I don't recall anything being negotiated after we voted and settled on a that contract. Does anyone else?

UPSmechanicinblue

Also if Upstate can add to why he was told this at meeting

told him that I had heard that UPSers who retired after 2008 would have their reduction made up by UPS and that those who retired before then would be out of luck. He said that he not heard of this and that all retirees would be made whole.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/community/...ion-cuts-not-cspf.366673/page-2#ixzz3oTB9rHpP