Refund of Union Initiation Fee

MassWineGuy

I worked last peak as a seasonal driver. This meant paying union dues and an initiation fee despite not being covered at all by the union contract.

Can I get any of this refunded?

iowa boy

You were covered by the contract and offered all the protections of the contract even though you never officially became a member of the union. So no, you will not get a refund, especially after a year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The whiner does have a valid point. IMO seasonal help should not be required to pay union dues, let alone an initiation fee, and those that do and are not kept on after Peak should be entitled to a refund of any dues or initiation fees paid.

Why anyone would wait nearly a year before asking this question is beyond me.

MassWineGuy

Whining? About the point you, yourself, admitted was valid, UPstate? I guess maybe I do whine sometimes. But not now.

Why a year? Honestly, yes, I should have looked into this sooner. But also, I wasn't sure if I was going to work for UPS again or not. If so, I would have started paying the fees again.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The whiner does have a valid point. IMO seasonal help should not be required to pay union dues, let alone an initiation fee, and those that do and are not kept on after Peak should be entitled to a refund of any dues or initiation fees paid.

Why anyone would wait nearly a year before asking this question is beyond me.
I disagreed with this post (again, as we rehash this annually) because these employees are working in a union shop, making a union negotiated wage, alongside other union employees.
With this in mind, they should pay monthly dues while they are working.

Where I agree, is in regards to the initiation fee.
To me, the term initiation fee implies new membership and these employees have no chance of achieving this.

In my local, they almost have it right where they take an initiation fee from any new employee, but will refund them their money if they don't work 30 days.
This tends to be a well guarded secret by both the local and the company, as the local wants the money and company doesn't want their temporary worker quitting on the 29th day.
I tell anybody who will listen, but inevitably hear tales of sour grapes annually when it's too late.
If it were to be completely fair, the local would refund anybody who doesn't achieve seniority their initiation fee as they really never joined the union.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I disagreed with this post (again, as we rehash this annually) because these employees are working in a union shop, making a union negotiated wage, alongside other union employees.
With this in mind, they should pay monthly dues while they are working.

Absolutely.

Where I agree, is in regards to the initiation fee.
To me, the term initiation fee implies new membership and these employees have no chance of achieving this.

Let me offer my perspective.

If the company disqualifies the person (before they attain seniority);

And asks the Local for a refund, so be it.

If the employee decides not pursue (further) employment and gives 2 weeks notice;

All others, sorry about your luck.

Don't come back a year later.... and post here.... fishing for answers.

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Absolutely.

If the employee decides not pursue (further) employment and gives 2 weeks notice;

-Bug-

Do you think seasonal employees should pay dues and/or initiation fees ?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

-Bug-

That covered it.

I agree as long as there is full disclosure.

These seasonal employees should be presented with the rules and options before it is too late.

You say "all others, sorry about your luck"?
Luck should have nothing to do with it.

Why is it we are only concerned with public perception in regards to strikes?

Last edited: