Refund of Union Initiation Fee

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In my local, the only people that pay dues is the drivers, feeders and delivery, and only for the weeks they actually work in those positions. No seasonal inside employee, or helpers pay a dime.
Do they pay an initiation fee on top of their dues for this limited time frame to earn money, with no expectation of an opportunity for long term employment?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Perhaps you would understand if it was your college age son or daughter, who came home from school and got a job at UPS to earn some money during their break, then came home with a pay check for next to nothing for their hard work, with the majority of their earnings going to the union in the form of an initiation fee.
Do you think it is the company or the union that gets the black eye in this scenario?
That sounds like an issue.... with your Local.

-Bug-

upschuck

Do they pay an initiation fee on top of their dues for this limited time frame to earn money, with no expectation of an opportunity for long term employment?
Initiation is still only $100, and think it is broken up into 4 or 5 pay periods. I do think they tell them to get a withdrawal card. I've heard the union spiel a few times given by the company HR person, and they are always upfront with the prospective employees prior to employment.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Initiation is still only $100, and think it is broken up into 4 or 5 pay periods. I do think they tell them to get a withdrawal card. I've heard the union spiel a few times given by the company HR person, and they are always upfront with the prospective employees prior to employment.

How do you withdraw before you are initiated and while you are actually working?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well, it may not have been to them, I suppose. But it was my honest and sincere best effort. Guess I can't walk on water like many others here.
Wah wah wah...sir, allow me to sum up. Didn't you post once that you are...55-60 years old? The fact is, you are too damn old to be just STARTING a FT driver job...just being blunt and honest. It is what it is.

MassWineGuy

Wah wah wah...dude, allow me to sum up. Didn't you post once that you are...55-60 years old? You are too damn old to be STARTING this job...just being blunt and honest. It is what it is.

Oh how can you be so cruel? I'm going downstairs right now to jump out of my basement window and end it all.

Right.That's the reason I wanted a seasonal driving job. To do this all year is totally insane, especially given the respect UPS affords its employees. I don't care how much you make, it's not worth it.

You can't sit there at your keyboard, holding your elementary school beginner's dictionary and honestly tell me that you don't know drivers who are my age.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Oh how can you be so cruel? I'm going downstairs right now to jump out of my basement window and end it all.

Right.That's the reason I wanted a seasonal driving job. To do this all year is totally insane, especially given the respect UPS affords its employees. I don't care how much you make, it's not worth it.

You can't sit there at your keyboard, holding your elementary school beginner's dictionary and honestly tell me that you don't know drivers who are my age.
Of course i do...guys that have worked here for 25 or 30 years....they're not starting a physically demanding career at age 60. You couldn't see the writing on the wall a mile away?

MassWineGuy

Yes, you have a good point. But it wasn't like I'd just been sitting on a soft couch up until I went to UPS. I'm in decent shape and have a lot of stamina. Still, it may not have been adequate. On the other hand, I saw olenty of folks who put out much less effort than I did.

I'm not bitter or angry. I like my FedEx job so far. It's not $34 an hour, but the money is good enough for me at the moment.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yes, you have a good point. But it wasn't like I'd just been sitting on a soft couch up until I went to UPS. I'm in decent shape and have a lot of stamina. Still, it may not have been adequate. On the other hand, I saw olenty of folks who put out much less effort than I did.

I'm not bitter or angry. I like my FedEx job so far. It's not $34 an hour, but the money is good enough for me at the moment.
I'm not saying you couldn't do the job. But ups no doubt saw your age as a liability....especially with potential injuries.

MassWineGuy

Of course I committed to the job. I gave it my all, despite the union acting like organized crime. But that's another thread. You're in no position to know, guess or channel what my performance was. I always received positive rehire status.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Of course I committed to the job. I gave it my all, despite the union acting like organized crime. But that's another thread. You're in no position to know, guess or channel what my performance was. I always received positive rehire status.
Does it even matter at this point? You
have a new job.

MassWineGuy

Exactly. I still like everyone I worked with at UPS (except for the a**hole driver on the Amesbury, MA route). Just not the corporation.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Did you start a thread last year, MassWineGuy?

If you call the union hall I'm sure they can guide you through the process. Your local may refund the initiation fee, but would (I'd hope) try to keep you as a member.