Refused to sign

CFLBrown

It sounds simple to me.The guy wouldn't sign because the pkg was not for him,and did not want to be responsible for it.
Rts'ing it is unfair to the customer that ordered it.Calling it refused is a lie because the consignee was not there to refuse it.
Futuring it is also wrong because what if the customer is not there again tomorrow?
It's a ni1 .Leave an info notice where the consignee will see it and try again tomorrow.

If the package required a DIRECT signature from the consignee, I'd agree with you on the NI1. We don't require direct signatures.

Its a NR1. Someone was home, but they weren't willing to accept the package and it wasn't a refused situation. Bring it back another day but if it happened again on day 2, it's going back. I'm not playing games with roommates,live ins, squaters, whatever. They can come to the building and pick the package up and call up a complaint.

tourists24

The methods are make the attempt. If someone isnt willing to sign for it at that address then they are refusing it. We are not paid to think anymore

bigbrownhen

Im in the "NI 1" catagory. If the consignee wasn't home, I'd give it another chance. Explain when I hand the other person there that it will be returned if not signed for next time or they can call and come pick it up at the center. A little kindness and courtsey goes a long way.

Im in the "NI 1" catagory. If the consignee wasn't home, I'd give it another chance. Explain when I hand the other person there that it will be returned if not signed for next time or they can call and come pick it up at the center. A little kindness and courtesy goes a long way.

Yes. But it goes a long way in our direction also.

bigbrownhen

I agree with that. He may have been a jerk, but he didn't pay for it, the consignee did. Why punish the wrong person. If that was the case anyway.

I GOT ONE MORE

I'm kinda glad most of you are not my UPS service provider.

I'm sure I will earn kudos for calling most of you knuckleheads, so be it.

UPS pays us for up to 3 attempts and the OP does not give enough info as to whether the potential signer was a tenant, mother in law, housekeeper, gardener or burglar.

NI1, NI2, NI3 .... then RTS

That way you did your job, gave the consignee every opportunity and most importantly, you did the right thing instead of letting personal feelings infiltrate your work ethic.

Do what you would want done to you!

tourists24

UPS pays us for up to 3 attempts and the OP does not give enough info as to whether the potential signer was a tenant, mother in law, housekeeper, gardener or burglar.

That way you did your job, gave the consignee every opportunity and most importantly, you did the right thing instead of letting personal feelings infiltrate your work ethic.

then you are not following methods and are being dishonest... if someone was home there is no NI1

UPSGUY72

This is how I see it. If there is an ADULT at the house which there was and they refuse to sign for a package for that address then they are refusing the package. The 3 delivery attempt is when nobody is home or when your need a adult to sig for a package and only a child is home.

It was a single family house in a nice neighborhood of signal family homes and there was more than one adult there at the time. He asked if I could just leave the package and I said no the shipper wants a sig he said that he wouldn't sign and I would have to come back a different day.

I get paid to deliver packages not to play stupid games. All I needed was a sig from anyone at that address but nobody wanted to sign I call that refusing the package.

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
DS, BM suggested futuring it to be delivered on the date that the consignee is expected to be home. This seems to be the second best option, the first being for the person who answered the door to sign for the package. RTSing the pkg is not fair to the consignee.

If the package required a DIRECT signature from the consignee, I'd agree with you on the NI1. We don't require direct signatures.

Its a NR1. Someone was home, but they weren't willing to accept the package and it wasn't a refused situation. Bring it back another day but if it happened again on day 2, it's going back. I'm not playing games with roommates,live ins, squaters, whatever. They can come to the building and pick the package up and call up a complaint.

DS

Fenderbender
You can do whatever you want.Wherever possible,I try to do my job.
Delivering packages.An rts is a cop out in my eyes.Someone paid to get their pkg.
I care enough to try my best to make it happen.

bigbrownhen

It was your call '72, you were the one there. It is a grey area, could be interpreted either way. I'd say you are covered, shouldn't be any fall back on this one. The fact that you made this thread shows that you perhaps had second thoughts about your decision. There wouldn't be any problem with either choice in my center. Some decisions we make, you just have to be there to understand.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Since there was someone there but that particular individual refused to sign for the package I would sheet it as Not Ready 1. There was someone there so that makes NI1 a lie and therefore dishonest on the part of the driver. Person A's refusal to sign for the package shouldn't disqualify person B from receiving the package originally intended for them. One more stop tomorrow. :)

You can do whatever you want.Wherever possible,I try to do my job.
Delivering packages.An rts is a cop out in my eyes.Someone paid to get their pkg.
I care enough to try my best to make it happen.

Making a good faith attempt to deliver it. Making contact with an adult. And as I think it over how I would handle it, giving the refusing adult a delivery notice to give to the intended receiver so they know the package can be picked up at the ctr, is doing the job. Some have pointed out that the shipper is the customer. An attempt was made correctly as paid for. A signature was attempted to be acquired as paid for. The package was brought back to the building protecting the shippers ownership until a proper delivery can be made as paid for. The job was done. Its not a RTS (return to shipper) it`s a RTS (REFUSED to sign). It would be safely sitting at the building for the designated time waiting for the consignee to figure out what they want to do.

UPSGUY72

Since there was someone there but that particular individual refused to sign for the package I would sheet it as Not Ready 1. There was someone there so that makes NI1 a lie and therefore dishonest on the part of the driver. Person A's refusal to sign for the package shouldn't disqualify person B from receiving the package originally intended for them. One more stop tomorrow. :)

Not ready is for picking something up (ie call tag or on call) not delivering a package.

UPSGUY72

Making a good faith attempt to deliver it. Making contact with an adult. And as I think it over how I would handle it, giving the refusing adult a delivery notice to give to the intended receiver so they know the package can be picked up at the ctr, is doing the job. Some have pointed out that the shipper is the customer. An attempt was made correctly as paid for. A signature was attempted to be acquired as paid for. The package was brought back to the building protecting the shippers ownership until a proper delivery can be made as paid for. The job was done. Its not a RTS (return to shipper) it`s a RTS (REFUSED to sign). It would be safely sitting at the building for the designated time waiting for the consignee to figure out what they want to do.

If you sheet as Ni1 it goes out the door tomorrow to be delivered again. If you sheet as will call you need to put a date on it and the customer would have to call or the package again goes out the door tomorrow to be delivered again. If you put future on it again you would have to date it and again it would go out the door again on that date.

Then what if one of the adults in the house was the person that needed to sign for the package and just didn't want to sign for some reason. Better yet what if the person that answered the door was the person as they ask if I could just leave it. Maybe they didn't want to sign for it because they didn't want to pay for it and figured that if I just left it they could claim they didn't get it. Better yet what if they payed for it with a stolen credit card and didn't want to sign for stolen goods.

yeldarb

I do that at construction sites. If the subcontractor isnt around, I will take it to the General, and if they wont sign, I have it RTS'd, and let the sub know what happened the next time I have something. It usually solves the problem.

whiskey

Hopefully the stop is a 15 minute chaser. NI1,NI2,NI3. Then forget to take it off car so it rides a fourth day. So it's NI3 again on the fourth day and 45 dollars of overtime in the drivers pocket. For one stop? That's not bad. And good service too. Don't forget to leave those yellows!

Cementups

Box Monkey
years ago, I actually sheeted up a package once as NR1 that was a 3 day select. I was questioned why and said I wasn't ready to deliver it. My boss chuckled and said, that's not why that means and mentioned that it was a 3 day select. I said, Yeah, I selected not t deliver it. He shook his head and walked away.