Refusing a DR'ed package

AssistantSanta

I have pulled a package off the shelf only to have the box rip open and then single loose heavy metal thing in side (car part, oil rig part, whatever) pop out. I take it into the shop I am delivering to and explain that the box unpacked itself moments before, can they take a look and make sure they have everything. They sign for the package. Generally they are happy becuase they didnt have to wait a day for the part to be repacked (and probably escape from the next box)..they need the part today! The nature of the contents and the packaging makes what happened very undersatandable.

Last night during hour 12 I delievered a very large ugly looking torn up box to a rural customer. You could tell it was one of boxes that contains mostly air. I made contact with the customer he told me it was a new tread for his snowblower and the tech was coming Tuesday morning to install it. It was one of those things where the fairly flimsy box which was torn up by the end of the trip had done enough to protect the contents... which was simply a heavy rubber tread. It would have been very difficult to pack in a way that would look good after transit and trying to would have been a disservice to the customer as the tech would have arrived without the tread to install.
Both of them make sense. Normal acceptance procedure is to inspect, note abnormalities and damage should something become noticed later.

In instances I observed, driver just had me porch drop. If there's an issue, they're going to have a tough time.