Regal Cinema's new "security policy"

BrownArmy

they let fuel boys handle guns????

Aaaannndd...

You missed his point.

----------------------------------

I think the possible issue in this thread is with a CCW citizen who received the not so excellent training that's been described - let's call him 'Joe'.

Joe Blow watches the 'NEWS', sees what we all see, and he decides he's going to do something about it.

$50 and the cost of a gun later, Joe Blow (now Joe CCW) sees everything happening in the 'NEWS' and decides that the world is a very scary place.

Joe CCW likes his new gun a lot, and he's bought various implements to clean said weapon. He's up on all the YouTube videos - he loves 'hickok45'.

Joe CCW has been to the range a few times, but not very many.

Joe CCW goes to (insert public event) and someone else starts shooting.

Joe decides he's going to be a savior and pulls out his gun...

Now, Joe CCW is just adding to the problem, because he doesn't realize (with his minimal training) that when a bullet doesn't strike it's target, it KEEPS GOING, through a crowd, through walls, through other people, etc.

Cops come, and gun down Joe CCW because he's shooting everything in sight.

Is my story ridiculous?

Of course it is.

Like WKMAC pointed out, this question is academic, since anyone reading this has a better chance of slipping on their own front steps and becoming paraplegic.

For all you responsible gun-owners out there, it seems to me you would be the most ardent supporters of really basic simple common-sense regulations.

Universal background checks for one, strict training for CCW permits, and an entire overhaul of our mental-health system vis-a-vis guns.

I don't care about guns one way or another - I'm agnostic about this entire conversation.

But, but, but...

We regulate the friend out of cars: insurance, licensing, plates, tickets, etc.

Guns are nowhere near regulated in the same proportion.

(please don't respond with 2nd Amendment retorts)

Background checks rely on a system that doesn't work very well (state databases don't talk to federal databases, etc.).

I could walk into a gun show tomorrow and buy a gun with no background check.

(I'd call that a 'loophole', YMMV).

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Aaaannndd...

You missed his point.

----------------------------------

I think the possible issue in this thread is with a CCW citizen who received the not so excellent training that's been described - let's call him 'Joe'.

Joe Blow watches the 'NEWS', sees what we all see, and he decides he's going to do something about it.

$50 and the cost of a gun later, Joe Blow (now Joe CCW) sees everything happening in the 'NEWS' and decides that the world is a very scary place.

Joe CCW likes his new gun a lot, and he's bought various implements to clean said weapon. He's up on all the YouTube videos - he loves 'hickok45'.

Joe CCW has been to the range a few times, but not very many.

Joe CCW goes to (insert public event) and someone else starts shooting.

Joe decides he's going to be a savior and pulls out his gun...

Now, Joe CCW is just adding to the problem, because he doesn't realize (with his minimal training) that when a bullet doesn't strike it's target, it KEEPS GOING, through a crowd, through walls, through other people, etc.

Cops come, and gun down Joe CCW because he's shooting everything in sight.

Is my story ridiculous?

Of course it is.

Like WKMAC pointed out, this question is academic, since anyone reading this has a better chance of slipping on their own front steps and becoming paraplegic.

For all you responsible gun-owners out there, it seems to me you would be the most ardent supporters of really basic simple common-sense regulations.

Universal background checks for one, strict training for CCW permits, and an entire overhaul of our mental-health system vis-a-vis guns.

I don't care about guns one way or another - I'm agnostic about this entire conversation.

But, but, but...

We regulate the friend out of cars: insurance, licensing, plates, tickets, etc.

Guns are nowhere near regulated in the same proportion.

(please don't respond with 2nd Amendment retorts)

Background checks rely on a system that doesn't work very well (state databases don't talk to federal databases, etc.).

I could walk into a gun show tomorrow and buy a gun with no background check.

(I'd call that a 'loophole', YMMV).
When you started describing "Joe" I thought of George Zimmerman.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I get my hackles up at the thought of mandatory licensing, training and insurance when the politicians who are making these proposals (and who would be responsible for implementing them) don't believe that we should have the right to own guns in the first place. A perfect example of this mentality would be Michael Bloomberg. As the mayor of NYC he passed a law prohibiting the sale of 32 ounce cups of soda as a "public health measure." If he doesn't think the people should be allowed to decide for themselves how much soda pop to drink, I really don't want him deciding how many and what kind of guns I should be allowed to have.

bbsam

Staff member
I get my hackles up at the thought of mandatory licensing, training and insurance when the politicians who are making these proposals (and who would be responsible for implementing them) don't believe that we should have the right to own guns in the first place. A perfect example of this mentality would be Michael Bloomberg. As the mayor of NYC he passed a law prohibiting the sale of 32 ounce cups of soda as a "public health measure." If he doesn't think the people should be allowed to decide for themselves how much soda pop to drink, I really don't want him deciding how many and what kind of guns I should be allowed to have.
Come now, be rational. Even Scalia is on board with the government's right to regulate such things.

soberups

If we are going to compare guns to cars then consider this; I can get in my car and legally drive it to New Jersey. I can do this because my drivers license, vehicle registration and insurance are valid in all 50 states.

If I have a handgun in my car, however, I am committing a felony in New Jersey....even though I have 2 concealed handgun licenses that are valid in 36 other states and I have undergone all the training, background checks and fingerprinting that the anti's keep saying should be a requirement for gun ownership.

If my side is willing to compromise and agree to the mandatory training and licensing....will the other side agree that concealed carry should be allowed in all 50 states and that carry licenses should be honored nationwide in the same way that drivers licenses are?

soberups

Come now, be rational. Even Scalia is on board with the government's right to regulate such things.

The government also has the right to regulate elections and voter registration. How would you feel about David Duke or Bull Connor getting to decide whether or not you were qualified to vote in your district?

bbsam

Staff member
The government also has the right to regulate elections and voter registration. How would you feel about David Duke or Bull Connor getting to decide whether or not you were qualified to vote in your district?
That is a tired, old line out of you.

Are you suggesting that voting rights are universal? They aren't and never have been.

Or that gun rights are universal? They aren't and never have been.

Are you suggesting that gun owners are discriminated against? Maybe they are. But that's not against the law ads long as the discrimination isn't based on (by intent or by practice) race, religion, etc.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is somewhat of a tangent but how would you feel about a county clerk who refuses to perform part of her job based solely on her religious beliefs? There is a clerk in Kentucky who initially refused to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples, despite repeated directives from her supervisors, the state and federal governments. She has now extended that ban to all couples.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
This is somewhat of a tangent but how would you feel about a county clerk who refuses to perform part of her job based solely on her religious beliefs? There is a clerk in Kentucky who initially refused to issue marriage licenses to same sex couples, despite repeated directives from her supervisors, the state and federal governments. She has now extended that ban to all couples.
If she can't or won't do her job duties she should resign.

soberups

She needs to be fired. She does not have the right to impose her religious beliefs upon the citizens she is supposed to serve.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
BUT .....
Muslim Stewardess Refuses to Serve Alcohol, Then Plays the Victim
Why would a devout Muslim , Charee Stanley , want to be a flight attendant in the first place, when half your job is serving alcohol?
What about the rights of the passengers on Stanley’s flight who just wanted to have a drink? Alcoholic beverages are still legal in the United States.
The EEOC is suing Star Transport for rightfully terminating two Muslims who refused to do their job. If these Muslim truck drivers don’t want to deliver alcohol, then they shouldn’t have taken a job in which part of their duties would be to deliver alcohol. It’s that simple.
A Muslim woman sued Children’s Hospital Boston after being fired for refusing to get a flu shot. If you don’t want to take the necessary steps to work in a hospital and adhere to the rules to insure the health of the public at large, then don’t work in a children’s hospital.
http://pamelageller.com/category/mosqueing-the-workplace/#sthash.dcPtduSQ.dpuf

soberups

That is a tired, old line out of you.

Are you suggesting that voting rights are universal? They aren't and never have been.

Or that gun rights are universal? They aren't and never have been.

Are you suggesting that gun owners are discriminated against? Maybe they are. But that's not against the law ads long as the discrimination isn't based on (by intent or by practice) race, religion, etc.
You are being obtuse.
I was posing a rhetorical question in order to point out the inherent risk of requiring a license in order to exercise a right and then placing responsibility for licensure in the hands of people who dont believe that right should exist in the first place.

bbsam

Staff member
You are being obtuse.
I was posing a rhetorical question in order to point out the inherent risk of requiring a license in order to exercise a right and then placing responsibility for licensure in the hands of people who dont believe that right should exist in the first place.
It is not rhetorical because the scenario you describe has happened in the past and some seem trying to make it happen in areas again.

Now if TOS were gun czar and said all middle age white guys had to give up their guns because statistically they are more likely to be mass shooters, that would be illegal. But having a uniform law fairly applied regardless of how invasive an individual thinks it is not unconstitutional.