Regarding supervisor working.

S

splozi

I had an outside-of-work conversation with a full time sup. We got to talking about UPS, and the topic of sups touching packages came up. He told me that they are highly discouraged (by... upper management?) from moving packages. He said that he helps around because he sees loaders (preload) struggling and feels bad for them, or something along those lines. I don't remember the exact words, but that's the feeling I got from it. He said they are told not to touch packages because they want to "hold the loaders accountable". In the sense that... they want to know who is actually trying and following the methods, and who is purposely being slow (not his wording).

This kind of confuses me. Based on everything I've read here, I assumed that sups were encouraged to work, to get everyone off the clock as soon as possible.

What am I missing here?

Is my center really weird?

just_a_number

CJ80ish:973628 said:
Heck, my PT supervisor takes his UPS polo shirt off and gets right in there when we're short handed.
Got back tonite to a pt stupidvisor workin the primary...asked if he needed help( made myself available)and he said no he was allset...had his polo on tho...ill be filing the grievence monday

W

want to retire

I had an outside-of-work conversation with a full time sup. We got to talking about UPS, and the topic of sups touching packages came up. He told me that they are highly discouraged (by... upper management?) from moving packages. He said that he helps around because he sees loaders (preload) struggling and feels bad for them, or something along those lines. I don't remember the exact words, but that's the feeling I got from it. He said they are told not to touch packages because they want to "hold the loaders accountable". In the sense that... they want to know who is actually trying and following the methods, and who is purposely being slow (not his wording).

This kind of confuses me. Based on everything I've read here, I assumed that sups were encouraged to work, to get everyone off the clock as soon as possible.

What am I missing here?

Simply, pt sups are used wherever they are needed.....to make the times and numbers. And yes, at the expense of jobs. Full time not much really-too obvious. But, they do work behind the scenes that could be done by hourlies(and should). The operation would be brought to it's knees if the pt sups stopped doing hourly work.

Last edited by a moderator:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This is a typical example of the company talking out of both sides of its mouth.

The "official" policy, of course, is that sups are not supposed to handle packages. However... the expectations that are placed upon the sups in terms of PPH simply cannot be sustained without a little bit of "cheating".

btrlov

All management works at some point during the course of a operation. The lower the management the more work is being done. However no management WANTS to work, they work because either they are told to, or its is implied. Ideally you would want to hold the employee accountable, but methods doesn't =production. Since a management literally has to justify thier job and salary and they cant physically force someone to move at a certain pace(and get off the clock at a certain time), the "Do it myself" mentally begins to take hold.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

your boss is a stinking 2 faced liar..he is going to hell with the rest of them...do NOT BELIEVE ONE THING THAT COMES OUT OF THAT GIANT HOLE BETWEEN THERE NOSE AND CHIN

I gotta tell you I am not at all impressed with your posting style. You were rude to Tooner in another thread and have been nothing but confrontational in just about all of your 49 posts. It is possible to get your point across and not be an ass while doing so. Just sayin'.

...and the word is their, not there...

moreluck

golden ticket member
"It is possible to get your point across and not be an ass while doing so." (upstate)

We'd never know that by your posts!!!

Indecisi0n

I feel sad when sups try to be all buddy-buddy with drivers just so they can cheat and get away with it. I hear drivers say all the time "Sup came to me on route in his personal car and took my misloads." Driver says "Man I really didn't want to del them so I was happy he helped out." These are drivers with 10+ years. I just don't get it. Maybe its because I am from the newer by the book crew but I don't let that fly. They hold me to a perfect standard so i return the favor. I already filed twice on sup doing that and it has never happened to me again.

curiousbrain

What am I missing here?

In the context of why supervisors work, the reasons vary: some genuinely do feel bad for friends who are loaders, and are getting rocked; so, maybe they get help. Now, the obvious counterpoint is that they will continue to work safely, no matter the speed since production is none of their concern. In practice, though, even the people who swear they don't give a crap get incredibly stressed out when there are too many packages for them to load - and will not grieve if you just ask them: "Would you like me to help you?" If they say no, and it is really bad, a supervisor can always pull the "egress" card, but that is a murky pond of meetings, grey area, and perspective. Maybe not in all areas, but at least where I am employed.

Another context is the obvious one: make "the numbers." This is kind of an omnipresent pressure that, I imagine, varies from center to center. In the center where I am employed, the general tactic is to start early on Monday (when all the loads are sitting on the doors or are in the yard), and blow the building apart from the unload. Then, on Tuesday, our heaviest day, the volume is so high relative to the hours of the shift, we smoke the numbers. In the fantasy land of numbers, this puts us up for the week by at least 10, maybe 15 or 20 PPH. Thus, we can relax a little bit for the rest of the week and let everyone breathe a little. I don't imagine that tactic works in every center, but where I am employed it makes the "number game" a little easier.

Another area of contention is that part-time soups are often told to work by their bosses - do this, do that. And, really, since the grievance that may result is not a personal debt, but rather incurred on the part of the company - sure, tell me to work and I will; but, "they" will foot the bill for their decision, and if I go to panel, I damn sure won't lie for anyone.

On a practical level, though, I think most part-time hourlies take the following perspective: the work is hard, and I'll take a little help here and there to make it a little easier. What that translates to in actual monetary or employment terms, I don't know - maybe a lot, maybe a little, maybe it breaks even.

Last, I'd say that, at times, I am required to work because of absenteeism, volume spikes, or other extreme circumstances - whenever I do, I push myself very hard because, in my own opinion, it is a physical job and it goes a long way for those I supervise to know that I can do any job I ask them to do, and maybe even do it better. Not because I need to stroke my ego, but because I think it is an issue of respect - yes, I supervise them, but on some level, there is an understanding.

Maybe that is fanciful or wishful thinking on my part, but it's worked OK for me so far.

edit: I wouldn't say that your center is weird, probably average. Despite all the blathering above that I did, it's mostly a personal decision for a supervisor to work or not - we can't really be fired for missing the numbers, we would just be moved to another area where we can fail less. So, with that aside, it's a personal decision that largely depends on any given circumstance.

fightingthegoodfight

Great perspective from a SUP...now as a shop steward here is mine...we just finished going through war with managment at the start of peak season about sups working, getting proper breaks, and upper managment yelling and disrespecting us. Things have calmed down now and for the most part sups have stoped working. But now a few weeks later you start to see a sup pull some packages, maybe split for 10-15 min, "train a seasonal in the unload" a sup today was even SPA-ing for 20min + so as a steward i have to make a choice, am i going to stir the ****** back up and start the grivence war again, or am i gonna let a few things fly and start to build a bridge of understanding of union/non-union. I spoke to my sup who i am pretty much "friends" with and told him that come regular season i dont want sups working and that we only get 3.5 hours and we need every min we can get and by them helping us it takes away time from us (even 5-10 min adds up over a 5 day week)

Now my question to everyone is at what point to we start to file again. I think it just brings tension and hostility to the center if we file on everything, but i know if we dont, they will start to realize what they can get away with and push the bar untill someone files. Also i feel like people get mad at me for telling the sup not to help them because they are getting rocked and they actually wanted the help. My rule of thumb is that if there is anyone laid off sups should not touch a SINGLE package...but if everyone is staffed there needs to be a fine line that seperates "helping a brother out" / sups cheating to make numbers

Idk enough rambling any thoughts would be appreciated

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

What am I missing here?

really depends on the centers, tbh

in many right-to-work states, the contract isn't brought up much in preload, so to the supes, it's more about helping their employees than numbers, per se

obviously in the bigger picture it's reducing hourly jobs, and is thus grievable, but most supes, and many hourlies don't see it in that light

texan

In the context of why supervisors work, the reasons vary: some genuinely do feel bad for friends who are loaders, and are getting rocked; so, maybe they get help. Now, the obvious counterpoint is that they will continue to work safely, no matter the speed since production is none of their concern. In practice, though, even the people who swear they don't give a crap get incredibly stressed out when there are too many packages for them to load - and will not grieve if you just ask them: "Would you like me to help you?" If they say no, and it is really bad, a supervisor can always pull the "egress" card, but that is a murky pond of meetings, grey area, and perspective. Maybe not in all areas, but at least where I am employed.

Another context is the obvious one: make "the numbers." This is kind of an omnipresent pressure that, I imagine, varies from center to center. In the center where I am employed, the general tactic is to start early on Monday (when all the loads are sitting on the doors or are in the yard), and blow the building apart from the unload. Then, on Tuesday, our heaviest day, the volume is so high relative to the hours of the shift, we smoke the numbers. In the fantasy land of numbers, this puts us up for the week by at least 10, maybe 15 or 20 PPH. Thus, we can relax a little bit for the rest of the week and let everyone breathe a little. I don't imagine that tactic works in every center, but where I am employed it makes the "number game" a little easier.

Another area of contention is that part-time soups are often told to work by their bosses - do this, do that. And, really, since the grievance that may result is not a personal debt, but rather incurred on the part of the company - sure, tell me to work and I will; but, "they" will foot the bill for their decision, and if I go to panel, I damn sure won't lie for anyone.

On a practical level, though, I think most part-time hourlies take the following perspective: the work is hard, and I'll take a little help here and there to make it a little easier. What that translates to in actual monetary or employment terms, I don't know - maybe a lot, maybe a little, maybe it breaks even.

Last, I'd say that, at times, I am required to work because of absenteeism, volume spikes, or other extreme circumstances - whenever I do, I push myself very hard because, in my own opinion, it is a physical job and it goes a long way for those I supervise to know that I can do any job I ask them to do, and maybe even do it better. Not because I need to stroke my ego, but because I think it is an issue of respect - yes, I supervise them, but on some level, there is an understanding.

Maybe that is fanciful or wishful thinking on my part, but it's worked OK for me so far.

edit: I wouldn't say that your center is weird, probably average. Despite all the blathering above that I did, it's mostly a personal decision for a supervisor to work or not - we can't really be fired for missing the numbers, we would just be moved to another area where we can fail less. So, with that aside, it's a personal decision that largely depends on any given circumstance.

Outstanding post.

I AM NOT management, so when I say, Sups are to be appreciated that treat you well and have a good heart,
I am not tooting my own line.

"we can't really be fired for missing the numbers, we would just be moved to another area where
we can fail less."

I have never heard that put that way before, but it is true in life, UPS and other places.

Again, great post brownbaggin.