Regretting management

tieguy

Banned
Probre,

Nothing personal, but I still don't understand your point.

Do you believe the supervisor or manager job is more financially lucrative or is a more attractive career today than it was in the past?

probably not a good time to ask that question with all the freezes implemented this past year.

I personally think its less lucrative. Being a private company was much more lucrative for our management folks as a whole.

the stock price conistently grew every quarter. You could hypo 90 percent of your portfolio to buy more stock which would grow every quarter. The public offering was possibly good for our company but bad for the partners in the long run. its going to be interesting to see the long term affects of the last two years on management retirements. Your stock portfolio decreased at least twenty percent, 401 maybe the same unless you know how to move your money, real estate values decreased significantly. Then couple in market uncertanity. at this point its very possible the market could do a second dip. Its not a good time to give up a good paying job and risk retirement.

tieguy

Banned
37 years here and still working.
What's up with that?
I get satisfaction and self-fulfillment from the job.
I don't understand why people think everyone should leave just because they are eligible.
If you hate your job ... sure. Otherwise why rush off?

PS: How the bike?

there is some truth to that.

cosmictrucker

counting the months
the stock price conistently grew every quarter. You could hypo 90 percent of your portfolio to buy more stock which would grow every quarter. The public offering was possibly good for our company but bad for the partners in the long run. its going to be interesting to see the long term affects of the last two years on management retirements. Your stock portfolio decreased at least twenty percent, 401 maybe the same unless you know how to move your money, real estate values decreased significantly. Then couple in market uncertanity. at this point its very possible the market could do a second dip. Its not a good time to give up a good paying job and risk retirement. [/QUOTE]

UPS was a better place to work and grow before going public. It's sad to watch management chase meaningless numbers and drop dead from the stress of the insanity that now rules the roost.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Not hardly.
No debt except for 5 years left on my mortgage.
I pay for everything else when I purchase it.

Hoax,
Not so fast......You owe me $50M points ....just because.............I'm talking about Rep Points, I have had some negative numbers lately and I have a goal of HUGE points.
I may show them to my friends.

Ok less than 50M points:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Pre-Dave Ramsey ... I do fully support his approach.
In Atlanta, we had Clark Howard before Dave came along.
Clark is not quite as austere as Dave but close.
Clark is my personal pocket protector.

I like Clark--he is as knowledgeable as Suze Orman but much less condescending. Much of the advice that he gives is common sense.

Raw

Raw Member
Pre-Dave Ramsey ... I do fully support his approach.
In Atlanta, we had Clark Howard before Dave came along.
Clark is not quite as austere as Dave but close.
Clark is my personal pocket protector.
Clark has no fun cuz he is so cheap! :happy-very:

browniehound

What's up with that?
I don't understand why people think everyone should leave just because they are eligible.

PS: How the bike?

I 'Hear Ya' Hoaxster. I plan on working as long as my body holds up. I know I can't do package for ever, but perhaps a 22.3 job from ages 55-70. I'm serious. If at age 60+ I can run an air route combined with a small sort shift I would continue working.

Look at the positives on this scenario: you max out you pension and social security so you can leave 100% of your 401k to your heirs. All this from our lowly positions at UPS!

Its the great thing about UPS and America. Work hard and start investing early and everyone has a chance at retirement.

By the way, Happy Birthday America! I hope everyone at BC enjoys the long weekend as we all know last year we didn't get the extra day because the 4th fell on a Saturday last year. They ended cutting about 1/2 of the routes in my center on Friday the 3rd, but I still ended up working.

It was OK though because we all got paid for Saturday the 4th 2009 and I enjoyed the extra day's pay the following Friday.

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
i actually have a great life, thanks to hard work and opportunity, as far as no life you have 2,223 posts just think about how much wasted time you have spent on here reading and posting think about that, and yes you can thank me for the job you have.

Thank you 2 units for that pension time bomb you left us. Success came easier when billions were going to salary and benefits that should have gone into pension funds.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thank you 2 units for that pension time bomb you left us. Success came easier when billions were going to salary and benefits that should have gone into pension funds.

He dosent care about you his checks will clear. You guys and girls should get your own union.

Not sure about a Union but definitely some entity that can manage a Pension Fund that was should have been over funded ... Central States had to be bought out by UPS so UPS Drivers would have a pension when they are eligible to retire. :wink2:

raceanoncr

What's up with that?

Hoax, I, as a union grunt, got job satisfaction and self-fulfillment also.

I was proud that I had almost every job at UPS and did it well, 32 years worth, 30 of those in feeders. I was proud of my PERSONAL accomplishment of 32 years of safe driving also in all kinds of situations, package car city driving, feeder shifter, feeder on-road, many years of sleeper feeder runs all over the country and in all major cites.

BUT, as I tell people, I have things to do and this job just got in the way. Since retiring about 4 weeks ago, been busy with yard, house, garage, bought a '70 Vette that is making me squeal like a little girl. Have to finish my '56 Chevy that's been on hold for many years.

I ain't even 65 yet and also have everything paid, no credit cards, only debit card and everything is cash here also.

So far, it's ONE of the best decisions I've made in life.

I don't trash anybody if they WANT to keep on working...I just didn't! I have more fun things to do. Got T-time at 1:30, by the way. Care to join?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Not to be the downer.......but, we never know how long we have left............which is why I believe you should retire as soon as you can comfortably. Take your social security at 62, if you wait 'til 65, you may not get there....or worse, it may not be there anymore.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not to be the downer.......but, we never know how long we have left............which is why I believe you should retire as soon as you can comfortably. Take your social security at 62, if you wait 'til 65, you may not get there....or worse, it may not be there anymore.
Absolutely 100% agreed. Just in the past three months two people that I know have been diagnosed with cancer, neither one much older than me. Both of them are good, decent, hardworking folks who by any measure have earned a long happy retirement and it's really heartbreaking that they've been dealt this hand. I've been thinking about them a lot, and it's really reinforced my determination to leave this place as soon as I possibly can. You never know what life has in store for you.

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Me too, Jones. 2 friends.....one gone at 62 and the other very serious now. And I know that UPS, drivers or management, work longer hours than regular 9-5 jobs and it's all towards that "golden time" to be spent with significant others.

It's the pits after all that work that you enjoy the fruits of your labor alone OR not be there to enjoy it yourself.

This is a realization that is hard to get across to anyone under 50. When we realize & face our own mortality there's an "I can see clearly now" moment.

Family & friends......let 'em know what they mean to you.

It's sad but true. From a union perspective I see how the full time management team is treated in my building and it's scary. I point to the stressed out zombies AKA fulltimers everytime a member asks me if they should go into management. I simply ask is that the life you want? And their decision is easy. In my building the Nassau hub management people are quitting and going out on stress leave left and right so they are begging people to go into management. These guys get verbally abused and embarrassed by there superiors all day long. They are forced to work like 14 hours a day with no overtime pay. It's no way to live. They aren't even allowed to call in an injury if they get injured I heard. I don't even know how ups legally gets away with it. I try to encourage all my members to take note of how miserable and stressed the management team in my building is before crossing the line. It's refreshing to see an actual management person make such a statement. Maybe you can save some of the people who are on the verge of being tricked into going into management. I'm not anti management. I don't think I'm better then you because I'm in the union. I'm anti ups management because I've seen first hand how they destroyed the lives of some great employees and feel nobody should be subjected to that kind of abuse. Even though I'm a union employee I've had some good bosses. And to see them stressed out and miserable day in and day out for things they can't even control made me have some compassion for them. For all you people thinking about making the move into management ask me about our management people. I would be glad to tell you about the medications they are on, the doctors visits, the stress, the working hours, the abuse, etc. Save yourself. Stay in the union.