Regretting management

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I know about PT sups cracking and have seen dozens firsthand. Infact, we have a new supervisor who is only 20? years old and he is having a fair share of problems meeting "downtimes". It's a pressure cooker from the top down and unfortunately those on the bottom ultimately have the least amount of freedom, and the most difficult numbers to fudge.

curiousbrain

I know about PT sups cracking and have seen dozens firsthand. Infact, we have a new supervisor who is only 20? years old and he is having a fair share of problems meeting "downtimes". It's a pressure cooker from the top down and unfortunately those on the bottom ultimately have the least amount of freedom, and the most difficult numbers to fudge.

I agree, sir; but, if a part-time soup can gain the confidence of their peers - enough to make actual decisions, then they can have a meaningful, and positive, impact on things. Or, so I've heard, anyway.

And thank you for being a gentleman in regards to my previous outburst; many would not have been as understanding.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I agree, sir; but, if a part-time soup can gain the confidence of their peers - enough to make actual decisions, then they can have a meaningful, and positive, impact on things. Or, so I've heard, anyway.

And thank you for being a gentleman in regards to my previous outburst; many would not have been as understanding.
There are/were a few/several terrible posters here and I was probably one, hopefully have improved. Just trying to point out some obvious differences people may see.

I'll myob now, being a petty grunt hourly. ;)

And don't forget all of the legit grievances that hourlies are looking the other way on, when they are looking the other way and plans fail, regardless.. ;)

UPS1907

New era...

To each his/her own, as hoaxster said management is not for everyone, obviously you made a wrong decision, i on the other hand made the right decision, drivers will make a good living, live comfortable, and work paycheck to paycheck(most). The big difference is in management there is opportunity, the opportunity to make more money, take different assignments, advancement, and working towards a personal goal. I came out of high school started working for UPS on the preload, then a driver, then into management. 36 years later i have retired, financially me and my family will be taken care of for the rest of our lives, put my children through college, graduate school and i paid for everything (cash), my kids have no student loans, they work even though financially they do not have to because UPS gave me the OPPRTUNITY for success and i took it. Sorry it did not work out for you.

If you were UPS management now you might be singing a different tune. Let's see, the stock split multiple times in 80's and 90's. (not once since 1999). I'm sure you didn't kick as much into your benefits as management does now. The company was private. You got raises and the stock grew faster. If I was in management for those years, I would be happy to. Now, it is not uncommon for a driver to make more than management and have MORE job security. Of course, if you are a Div Mgr or above it is also great since you divert raises from the front line supervisors to take care of yourself. I'm happy UPS was good to you, but it is not good to current management.

Last edited by a moderator:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: New era...

If you were UPS management now you might be singing a different tune. Let's see, the stock split multiple times in 80's and 90's. (not once since 1999). I'm sure you didn't kick as much into your benefits as management does now. The company was private. You got raises and the stock grew faster. If I was in management for those years, I would be happy to. Now, it is not uncommon for a driver to make more than management and have MORE job security. Of course, if you are a Div Mgr or above it is also great since you divert raises from the front line supervisors to take care of yourself. I'm happy UPS was good to you, but it is not good to current management.

As a general observation, your post seems to reflect reality.

Last edited:

CAFAL

Ft union employees? We sweat,we hurt and we are the face of the company. The mismanagement of our pension is killing anything good about the union. Its almost to the point of who cares. There was a guy who had 20 years in and retired at 60 in my center who will have a higher pension than I who now has to work for 33 years. Tell me how its better?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why are you apologizing?

My guess: some regions (ahem, CS?) had their pensions tweaked and some folks were grandfathered into a better deal than the newer hired member. Maybe not CS, or maybe not the case at all, but that is one possibility.

The person who wrote that listed NY as his location. If this is accurate then I find his statement hard to believe.

CAFAL

30 in and out is gone. Driver who retired 3 years ago gets 8000 a month. I'm projected to get about 5000 after doing three more years. I'm out of my house from 8 to 8 everyday. Pension in need of more rehabilitation. How is this better?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

30 in and out is gone. Driver who retired 3 years ago gets 8000 a month. I'm projected to get about 5000 after doing three more years. I'm out of my house from 8 to 8 everyday. Pension in need of more rehabilitation. How is this better?

I'm sorry to do this but I am calling a huge BS on the net of $8K/month. Our most recent retiree (2 years) is (was) netting $4.4K (he has since gotten divorced and is now netting $2.2K--ouch). The highest monthly pension that I have heard from our retirees is $6.5K but that is not net. Whoever told you they are getting $8K/month strictly from their pension is lying to you.

We have lost our split raises during this contract and I am afraid we will lose them for the next one as well.

CAFAL

I'm sorry to do this but I am calling a huge BS on the net of $8K/month. Our most recent retiree (2 years) is (was) netting $4.4K (he has since gotten divorced and is now netting $2.2K--ouch). The highest monthly pension that I have heard from our retirees is $6.5K but that is not net. Whoever told you they are getting $8K/month strictly
from their pension is lying to you.

We have lost our split raises during this contract and I am afraid we will lose them for
the next one as well.

He could have. I know he did 33 years and got out right before this contract started. We in the local 294 lost four raises. We are supposed to get our last two, aug 1 and feb 1 2013

rama'nfeeders

You started so long ago! That was when you could move up the ladder, but now it's totally different. One the stock went public in '98 and all the older management made out like bandits, two I'm not saying people cant move up, but remember we dont have 4 regions and all theses districts we have gone to 3 regions and less districts which mean less opportunity when you were going thru the ranks. Yes, management do have opportunity, but you have to be cut-throat and to be totally honest I know ALOT of MANAGEMENT and THEY HATE UPS AND ARE COUNTING THERE DAYS TO RETIREMENT and THATS A FACT!!! New management don't get a pension persay, but a 401k match of some sorts.............things have changed ALOT and once this ECONOMY picksup and unemployement improves you watch UPS will have a HUGE management TURNOVER and you can take that to the BANK!!!!

curiousbrain

You started so long ago! That was when you could move up the ladder, but now it's totally different. One the stock went public in '98 and all the older management made out like bandits, two I'm not saying people cant move up, but remember we dont have 4 regions and all theses districts we have gone to 3 regions and less districts which mean less opportunity when you were going thru the ranks. Yes, management do have opportunity, but you have to be cut-throat and to be totally honest I know ALOT of MANAGEMENT and THEY HATE UPS AND ARE COUNTING THERE DAYS TO RETIREMENT and THATS A FACT!!! New management don't get a pension persay, but a 401k match of some sorts.............things have changed ALOT and once this ECONOMY picksup and unemployement improves you watch UPS will have a HUGE management TURNOVER and you can take that to the BANK!!!!

Regardless of whether what you say is true or not, why would anyone take advice from someone who lacks the facility to use proper grammar and punctuation? It's worth thinking about.

UPS1907

So I thought to come by here just to see what all my fellow former UPSers are talkng about. When I was with UPS I held a few positions got promoted a bunch now I look back with disgust. Im a hard worker have been since im a little kid. I am intelligent, fair, goal orientated, will break my back to help others and do whats right.

I am sorry to say that UPS was a great disappointment. Without going into details I would like anyone who is considering a management job at UPS to really think about what they want in life. If all you care about is money and are willing to give your life and enjoyment for a few extra dollars then by all means make yourself rich and miserable. If you are a driver and you are thinking or being wooed into a fancy management position. This is all I will tell you and then you can make your own bed and sleep in it.

I loved my job my drivers were great. They worked hard for me and I worked hard for them. My numbers and performance were stellar at the least. My drivers were happy and I was miserable. The sad part is that I loved my job and I enjoyed what I did every day and I was good at it. But the lifestyle is miserable and the picture they paint is not as pretty once it right there infront of you.

Also the management people who post message on here are absolutly hysterical I love reading all the crap they spew out. Dont believe the cliches about hard work and challange and opportunity. Yes its all there, but when its all said and done its not worth the hell they will put you through.

UPS will really suck the life out of you if you actually care about anything. I know management in any business is about making money and keeping things running right. But that is not good enough for UPS. I took a center that was in shambles and made it good with the help of my DRIVERS! Unfortunately most but not all management could really care less about you or your life. What they do care about is your over-allowed hours and that about it. Now not to say that drivers shouldnt perform well but "alot" of reasons why "good" drivers perform poorly is cause management does not hold up their end of the bargain. I fixed and spent hours tracing routs and fixing all my drivers complaints (within reason) Obviously the needs of the business are important but management at UPS only worried about the bottom line and 99% could care less who they have to screw and step on in order to get there. Profit is important but treating people with respect and dignity is also important. Also management will let you belive that once you are "in" you are a "partner." Be careful if you do choose to take a management position your new partners are not your friends.

Bottom Line:
FT Union positions are the only jobs that are worth while in my opinion and that is under the assumption that you want to enjoy you life and not be a slave to the company. Management is great if you plan on being unhappy for 30 years and never seeing your wife or kids.

Unless you need to make alot of money and be a big shot stay where you are and enjoy every day. Drivers have great benefits and can retire very happy with alot of money.

Well said. Sounds about right.

brown_trousers

Although I am not management myself. It looks like the management "experience" can be very different depending on what operation you work for. I would NEVER want to move into a driving management position, that looks like it would be hell, but I have seen several smaller airport centers that honestly don't look all that bad for management.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Although I am not management myself. It looks like the management "experience" can be very different depending on what operation you work for. I would NEVER want to move into a driving management position, that looks like it would be hell, but I have seen several smaller airport centers that honestly don't look all that bad for management.

On-car sups get paid more.
Not worth the difference in pay IMO.