Regular Temp Driver

bozack23

I was called for an interview as a Reg. Temp Driver and was told it is not normal to be hired off the street for this position. HR person said usely have to be package handler first but they just opened a new facility and not enough handlers signed up for the job. Is this a rare opportunity or blowing smoke?

Also was told starting pay rate would be $16.10. Have read on here that the rate is/was around $22.00. Is the $16.10 the new rate in the upcoming contract? If I take the job will the new contract effect my pay rate or will it be granfathered in?

​Thanks in advance......

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It is virtually impossible to parlay that into a perm position but it happens once in a blue moon. They also can call you back seasonally again if you do well.

bozack23

I asked and was told this is not a seasonal position. I would be a Regular Temp Driver and after 30 days would get seniority and after 1 year medical benefits. Does this sound right?

U

uber

Do you live in a small town? I find it hard to believe they couldn't find package handlers to fill the jobs.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That sounds like a reg temp job to me, just keep in mind that after peak season you might have to go back to part time working pre load or local sort.

AlwaysChafed

I was called for an interview as a Reg. Temp Driver and was told it is not normal to be hired off the street for this position. HR person said usely have to be package handler first but they just opened a new facility and not enough handlers signed up for the job. Is this a rare opportunity or blowing smoke?

Also was told starting pay rate would be $16.10. Have read on here that the rate is/was around $22.00. Is the $16.10 the new rate in the upcoming contract? If I take the job will the new contract effect my pay rate or will it be granfathered in?

​Thanks in advance......

You will have to hop everyone votes NO. I don't think you are officially in the union until you pay your full membership fee by next week lol. You won't be able to vote.

$16.10 is what every Ground Driver is starting at. $11.50 for Air.

Take the job if you want it. If you get straight on as a driver, consider yourself very fortunate. If they cut you at twenty-nine days and make you a handler, take your lumps like everyone else.

bozack23

Do you live in a small town? I find it hard to believe they couldn't find package handlers to fill the jobs.

It is a new facility about 20 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. The person that interviewed me was the HR manager and she said they only had two package handlers that wanted the reg temp driver position and they both had driving record issues.

PT Car Washer

Temp. driver , as in temporary driver. not full time. But yes could lead to full time. I have seen it happen. But your question was what happens when the new contract goes into effect on Aug 1st 2013 ( if it passes) you will receive the new starting wage.

iruhnman630

You may be one of the 'lucky'(?) few outside hires. Just remember it is not a small commitment, and make sure you are prepared for what you are getting into, going into driving without the benefit of some experience with the pace of working for UPS.

They put out a sign up sheet for this position at the facility I work at. I was a PVD driver last two peak seasons and took the first job I could get in preload this year when one opened up because I want to become a driver ASAP. They said I would need to start inside but will become a driver within the year. This is the next step and my supervisor reached out to me personally about the position. Do you need to go to integrad for this? Do you drive the UPS van or truck for this position? How often per week do temp regular drivers usually work? I work preload 6 days per week for revenue recovery handling the big, heavy and odd shaped packages. Can’t wait to start driving man.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
They put out a sign up sheet for this position at the facility I work at. I was a PVD driver last two peak seasons and took the first job I could get in preload this year when one opened up because I want to become a driver ASAP. They said I would need to start inside but will become a driver within the year. This is the next step and my supervisor reached out to me personally about the position. Do you need to go to integrad for this? Do you drive the UPS van or truck for this position? How often per week do temp regular drivers usually work? I work preload 6 days per week for revenue recovery handling the big, heavy and odd shaped packages. Can’t wait to start driving man.
You’ll never be an RPCD
@MECH-lift
🧔✊🏼 🧔🏽✊🏾

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
The new drivers at my building have been doing integrad via zoom for the last year or so .

SLW

Do you need to go to integrad for this? Do you drive the UPS van or truck for this position? How often per week do temp regular drivers usually work? I work preload 6 days per week for revenue recovery handling the big, heavy and odd shaped packages. Can’t wait to start driving man.
My fellow Ween fan. Yes, you need to go to integrad. You drive the truck (package car). In my building you basically work the same as regular drivers, although there's not always enough work until October-November. Do it if you want to be a driver.

Thanks for getting back to me guys. I don’t know what a RPCD is. I signed the sheet today and read more about the position. Sounds like the work is from June till the 2nd week of January and then you go back inside to the normal :censored2:ty part time Pre load work. Uggghh. Talk about a buzz kill. Supervisors said you can transfer to regular driver if position opens up before hand. I’ll do whatever needs to be done to become a driver. I absolutely loved delivering the last 2 peak seasons. Definitely something I enjoyed doing.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Thanks for getting back to me guys. I don’t know what a RPCD is. I signed the sheet today and read more about the position. Sounds like the work is from June till the 2nd week of January and then you go back inside to the normal *ty part time Pre load work. Uggghh. Talk about a buzz kill. Supervisors said you can transfer to regular driver if position opens up before hand. I’ll do whatever needs to be done to become a driver. I absolutely loved delivering the last 2 peak seasons. Definitely something I enjoyed doing.
Time spent as a reg temp counts toward pay progression when you go full time so at least there's that. Also if you qualify as a reg temp you won't have to go through the 30 qual period again.

SLW

Thanks for getting back to me guys. I don’t know what a RPCD is. Sounds like the work is from June till the 2nd week of January and then you go back inside to the normal *ty part time Pre load work. Uggghh. Talk about a buzz kill. Supervisors said you can transfer to regular driver if position opens up before hand.
RPCD is just a regular driver. Be optimistic: In my building, everyone hired as a reg temp got asked to stay on as a 22.4 (ie lower paid ft driver) in January and then became a RPCD within 18 months.

Why wouldn’t someone signing up for the reg temp driver role eventually become a regular full time driver??? I’m confused. It seems that there are different opinions concerning this. I was told to take the reg temp job and keep an eye open for a full time driver position should one open. I would be allowed to pivot to a 22.4 in January if asked I’m assuming? The problem is that the work dies down in January so not sure if that is likely. I want to do whatever I need to do to become a full time driver. I’m 46 years old and healthy as can be (for real). I have worked 20 years in the insurance business and am ready to put that on the back burner. I’ll receive renewals for the rest of my life as well so I’m in no real rush. I can supplement whatever I’m not making from ups with insurance when I’m off the clock. Make no mistake about it though, I want to be a driver. No matter how long it takes. Eventually considering going into management. Graduating with my bachelors next month. I got a late start on this stuff in my life because I was busy touring the world with my band when I was younger. Got to visit 40+ countries though. Any advice you all have would be invaluable.

SLW

Why wouldn’t someone signing up for the reg temp driver role eventually become a regular full time driver??? I’m confused. It seems that there are different opinions concerning this. I was told to take the reg temp job and keep an eye open for a full time driver position should one open. I would be allowed to pivot to a 22.4 in January if asked I’m assuming? The problem is that the work dies down in January so not sure if that is likely. I want to do whatever I need to do to become a full time driver. I’m 46 years old and healthy as can be (for real). I have worked 20 years in the insurance business and am ready to put that on the back burner. I’ll receive renewals for the rest of my life as well so I’m in no real rush. I can supplement whatever I’m not making from ups with insurance when I’m off the clock. Make no mistake about it though, I want to be a driver. No matter how long it takes. Eventually considering going into management. Graduating with my bachelors next month. I got a late start on this stuff in my life because I was busy touring the world with my band when I was younger. Got to visit 40+ countries though. Any advice you all have would be invaluable.
They kept me on as a Reg Temp past Jan 2. It did get slow in January, I only worked a couple days a week, and did not complain. Keep an eye out for the bid sheet, but I honestly just remember them calling me up and offering me the job, but it was a brand new position then, as well.

I am keeping an eye out for “the bid sheet” even though I don’t fully understand it. I just know I’ll be putting my name down for every single route possible. That’s what I’ve been instructed to do to increase my chances of getting a job.

my boss confirmed this temp reg job will be starting in June. Did you regularly work 5 days a week during June to December?