Rehire from 10 years ago

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Homoudont, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Homoudont

Homoudont New Member

Hello everyone,

Spent several hours reading and searching threads and really couldn’t find the information I was looking for… So here goes

I worked for UPS in a large air hub from 92-97. Two years as a union employee and 3 years as a P/T supervisor. I left for college with the intent of working near the university I was attending, but the time conflicted with my school schedule. Situation changes and I just got a job as a preloader (what a difference but that’s another thread). Does anything from my previous 5 year stint transfer to my new job as a preloader? For example do I retain any vacation time? Am I allowed to purchase stock immediately?

[FONT=&quot]Funny thing about my last paycheck, 15 years ago I signed up from payroll deduction of a US savings bond.. They are still taking it out from something I signed up for 15 years ago… Of course HR keeps telling me they may or don’t have the records of my last employment…:crying: [/FONT]
  2. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

Hope you got a withdrawal card back in 97....

That's a lot of dues to owe!
  3. Big Babooba

Big Babooba Well-Known Member

I went through a simular situation. I worked for 5 months and left because of school.But I went to the Union hall , paid the balance of my initiation fee and got a withdrawl card.I went back 6 months later and started at the bottom. Your previous service doesn't matter. You are a new hire and retain nothing. Your'e back at the bottom rung of the ladder. You probably lost your 2 yrs of credit in the union pension. If you stayed in the union for 5 yrs, you would have been vested in the pension. As for your 3 yrs on the other side of the fence, you have to ask them. I hope that you got a withdrawl card. Your local can get you for back dues if you didn't.
  4. #1angelfan

#1angelfan New Member

i had a friend that worked twilight for about a year and a half. he quit on good terms. he was a p/t sup when he left. he wanted to start working for ups again, but when i asked if he could come back as an hourly, they told me that he can not come back as an hourly only a p/t sup. we need plenty of people, but no sups are needed. i dont understand how you got rehired as an hourly after being a p/t sup.
  5. dudebro

dudebro Active Member

This is one area where in my experience, we have "policies". Not rules. When I was in inside ops, I used to hire a guy back every summer on the night sort, he was a great loader. The "policy" then, was no rehires ever.
    Another friend of mine was a P/T sup for 10 years and left to pursue a full time job. The job didn't work out, and he came back to us on the midnight sort. Problem was, he was back to day 1 with seniority, and started at the starting P/T supervisor pay instead of the pay he had when he left, which was a big difference. He's a driver now, and I don't know what the effect of that will be on his pension since he was here so long the first time...
  6. Just Lurking

Just Lurking Member

Most locals will make one time exemption.

>95 I take it that yours must not.