Relatively new, breaking jams, got a question for you guys

I started in August as a loader and they've recently had me doing jam-breaks a couple days a week when the regular jam-breaker goes home early. So far this job is relatively easy compared to loading, but I feel like some guys resent the fact that I'm new and am breaking jams as I've been told by a few guys I've got the "easy" job. My avg PPH on rollers is between 320-380 and on an extendo around 380-450. Is my sup putting me here because I'm a slow loader, some other reason, or am I just over-analyzing?

steward71

don't worry about what others have to say, just do the job they ask you to do. If the people who are complaining want to file then let them. if they don't then that is on them. you will find at UPS most people like to complain about everything and not do anything about nothing, but just start a line of BC that will just make you worry, do worry about them and just do what they ask. talk to your sup and ask him or her if that is why they have you breaking jams, it may be that is all they have for you to do at this point. good luck.

Work as directed---it is a term you had best become familiar with as a union employee.

ok, thank you for clearing that up. the only response SUPs get from me when they ask me to do something is "ok", or "you got it". and yeah the guy that busts my balls about it is a loudmouth and complains daily to everyone, thinks UPS is out to get him and does 200/hr. I didn't think it meant much but i figured it couldn't hurt to ask. thanks, again

nystripe96

I think the jam breaker comes down from small sort . I doubt its a regular title, they probably just want more time on the clock. The supes break most of the jams until the sort is done. Also, on my PD we have enough bodies, so the seasonals are just breaking jams which helps.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
could be tons of reasons, depending on the other employees, your supervisor, blah blah blah

but like JonFrum pointed out, your operation has something wrong with it if it needs a dedicated jam-breaker....

nystripe96

Why?

In my building, if the sups weren't breaking jams all shift, nearly every high flow area would creep to a stand still. In certain areas, you need to have someone on the belt breaking the various jams while two+ people load all day. This isn't common? Should it be like this? I don't know. If you try and cram so much flow down belt systems designed so long ago....

As you very well know, everything with USP is about numbers. The employee is just a number as well. Gotta deal with it, just put up or shut up. If they wanna cram 10,000+ packages down PD9's throat every night (which they do) this little number is gonna let all the nonsense roll off his back and work. There's always someone to complain to, it's just not worth it. If there truly is a designated position such as "jam breaker" than that person is stealing money imo. Might as well let that person load too, it's the logical thing to do. Did I say logical?????? Nah, nevermind

menotyou

bella amicizia
The biggest reason you get a jam is because the flow is too fast for the speed of the belt. If the speed of the belt is determined by the time people and corporate is aware of the speed the belt is set at, your flow shouldn't be any faster than that. Period.

dillweed

One of our belts gets jammed frequently. It gets so many pkgs that they pile up on top of each other going down the slide. Once that mess backs up something snags on an upper support and that's all she wrote.

Another problem we have is longs. Unloaders sneak longs in with the rest, sorters get tired of complaining and/or dealing with them and just chuck them on the belts. Those make some fantastic jams that often take awhile to clear out.

Jam breaking wouldn't be a good job in our building. Too often a belt isn't locked out, someone is on it and a crazed sup runs up and turns it back on without looking. I've seen some real near misses.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Why?

In my building, if the sups weren't breaking jams all shift, nearly every high flow area would creep to a stand still. In certain areas, you need to have someone on the belt breaking the various jams while two+ people load all day. This isn't common? Should it be like this? I don't know. If you try and cram so much flow down belt systems designed so long ago....

Breaking jams is hourly Union work! If you see your sups doing it, file on it immediately! The sups should be watching the flow of the unload to insure or try not to let the jam happen, instead of doing My or your job!

nystripe96

I think breaking jams is probably the most dangerous aspect of any work we do. Extended reaches are common when breaking a jam, and I've had some close calls already trying to pull and push and twist those boxes to get them down the chute.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I think breaking jams is probably the most dangerous aspect of any work we do. Extended reaches are common when breaking a jam, and I've had some close calls already trying to pull and push and twist those boxes to get them down the chute.
that's why the belt turns off.