Relatively new, breaking jams, got a question for you guys

Breaking jams is hourly Union work! If you see your sups doing it, file on it immediately! The sups should be watching the flow of the unload to insure or try not to let the jam happen, instead of doing My or your job!

This is pretty much what my steward said after my first day of jam-breaking. At our HUB there's an agreement between the Union and UPS that require 4 hourly's whose only job is to jam break for the entire shift. Apparently if I'm jam-breaking and my SUP asks me to load or do anything other than jam-breaking, I'm supposed to file a grievance.

I usually bounce around between 4 of the heavier loads or anywhere else that needs help.

I disagree with the guy that said breaking jams is "stealing money." I agree it's an inefficient use of manpower (It makes no sense that I can't jump in a truck and help the guys who are loading), but some of the heavier loads would turn to absolute mayhem if there wasn't someone in there breaking jams.

Last edited:

whiskey

Slow loader. Your first thought was correct. However, the unload rate has always been fixed at 1000 pph. And that will more than likely be your next assignment.

rocket man

I started in August as a loader and they've recently had me doing jam-breaks a couple days a week when the regular jam-breaker goes home early. So far this job is relatively easy compared to loading, but I feel like some guys resent the fact that I'm new and am breaking jams as I've been told by a few guys I've got the "easy" job. My avg PPH on rollers is between 320-380 and on an extendo around 380-450. Is my sup putting me here because I'm a slow loader, some other reason, or am I just over-analyzing?
keep on jaming thats a hard job

nystripe96

I just don't think jam breaker should be a specific job title. Stealing money, maybe I went too far yea cuz it ain't easy to break jams