Relaxed Commit Times

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by UpstateNYUPSer, Dec 10, 2011.

1. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

According to time commits for premium products will be relaxed by 90 minutes between Dec. 19-24.
  2. bumped

bumped Well-Known Member

Its been like this for at least 10 years.
  3. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

This will give drivers a little bit more planning time and window to get off air.

Ground and Standard guarantees are suspended starting Dec 12.

Peak-season service guarantees: Commitment times for air and international shipments delivered within the United States will be extended by 90 minutes on the
    following days: Nov. 25, Dec. 19-24 and Dec. 31. UPS air and international shipments picked up or delivered in the United States are guaranteed throughout the holiday
    season. The guarantee is suspended for UPS Ground and UPS Standard packages picked up or scheduled for delivery between Dec. 12 and Dec. 24. For further details, visit for UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service.
  4. rod

rod retired and happy

We were always told there wasn't any guaranteed commit times during peak. No refunds for being late from Thanksgiving to Christmas.
  5. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

Never heard that one.

Ground has been like that for many years but this year it starts Dec 12.
  6. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The inclusive dates are not always the same.
  7. CaliforniaPaul

CaliforniaPaul Active Member

8. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

The conversation (for me at least) is pretty much the same every year.

Me: "Well boss, I can probably get all of my air off on time, but at the cost of bringing 20 missed stops back at 9:30 tonight. I will also be in danger of going over 60 DOT hours. And you will need to give me $20 to buy fuel on route so I can make it back to the building."

Boss: "Just go out there and be as productive as you can, if they are late they are late."

Me: "Ok."

Its called "triage". Sometimes a few packages must die so that a greater number may live. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. One late air is infinitely preferable to 20 missed ground stops, once you start bringing missed stops back they snowball on you and before you know it your truck is bricked out and you are so far in the hole that you cant catch up.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  9. Mr Jingles

Mr Jingles Rat out of a cage

That's a great one-word description! The Grounds are last on the list with no guarantee this time of the year. Reflects the reality of the seasonal fluctuations in volume ... the lowest profit margin packages are last in priority.
  10. Johney

Johney Raise your hand if you think Upstate is a D-Bag

So much for being over-dispatched with 10:30 air and getting to lose 10 stops:dead:.
  11. Mr Jingles

Mr Jingles Rat out of a cage

Flexibility is what it is all about and it helps to be flexible when you are bending over. :angry:
  12. rod

rod retired and happy

I'm sure there were alot of things that happened at my old center that you wouldn't dream could ever happen at UPS. During peak we were lucky to even get our air delivered to our center before 10 or 11 A.M.
  13. bumped

bumped Well-Known Member

Its always been the week before Christmas