Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
This last week I was given a scenario in which a high school football coach after a game was concluded, on his own action, went to mid field and prayed. After observing said coach do this on several occasions, a number of players on their own choice also joined the coach for prayer. This was the scenario given to me and asked what I thought of this. I inquired if all parties did this on a voluntary basis nor was this an official action by the school itself and I was told all participants did so as a voluntary action acting as individuals and was told this is correct.

If this is the same case and all is voluntary and not as official school policy, then on the grounds of both free thought and free association they should not be interfered with taking part in this expression. If the coach and players were muslim, hindu, satanist some variation of pagan, turf grass worshiper, whatever, the same still applies. If the State nor any of its actors are organizing nor demanding compliance as a result of their official capacity as a representative of or on behalf of the state, then their liberty should not only not be disturbed but should be honored and respected.
Disagree completely. No matter how you try and qualify it at the end of the day you have a school official leading students in sectarian prayer on school property. Saying it's OK because it's not official school policy doesn't fly nor does claiming it's OK as long as it's "voluntary". Of course it's not voluntary, the coach is an adult and an authority figure with a lot of influence over his players at a time in their lives when they are under a lot of pressure to conform. Coach needs to knock it off or be fired.

wkmac

Since we are on religion, I did run cross this preacher's video several months back and it is about 6 minutes long but you have to watch the 6 minutes in order to set the stage for what happens at the very end. Pay close attention to his squeeze ball and what it is for because at the end it plays an important role in what will happen. And watch that crucifix on top of the curio cabinet. I laughed so hard when I saw it I thought I had cracked a rib. It's just too much fun. ;)

wkmac

Disagree completely. No matter how you try and qualify it at the end of the day you have a school official leading students in sectarian prayer on school property. Saying it's OK because it's not official school policy doesn't fly nor does claiming it's OK as long as it's "voluntary". Of course it's not voluntary, the coach is an adult and an authority figure with a lot of influence over his players at a time in their lives when they are under a lot of pressure to conform. Coach needs to knock it off or be fired.

Seems we're just exchanging one authoritarian with another!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

If the coach was a Muslim there would be a mob and zero community support. He should be fired immediately.

oldandcrabby

My question is what is the difference between martyrdom, persecution, and rejection?

Are we as Christians being martyred?

Are we just being persecuted?

Are we just being rejected?

I would think that persecution and rejection commonly occur in the United States whatever religion you are.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My question is what is the difference between martyrdom, persecution, and rejection?

Are we as Christians being martyred?

Are we just being persecuted?

Are we just being rejected?

I would think that persecution and rejection commonly occur in the United States whatever religion you are.

No, no, and yes. Christians are a powerful majority whose influence is being reduced as America gets more diverse. Predictably, they aren't liking it and now claim persecution.

When all religions get equal treatment and consideration, I'll listen to complaints about persecution.

Until then....no.

oldandcrabby

What type of persecution in the United States that Christians face?

Is there a difference between Christians and people that have faith?

This is what my faith boils down to

2 Corinthians 5:10 states (NKJV)

For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

My job as a person of faith is to let people know that Christ died on the cross for everyone's sin.
It is Christ's job to do the saving.

No where in that verse does it tell me that I am sitting in the judgement seat.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What type of persecution in the United States that Christians face?

1)
For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

2)
My job as a person of faith is to let people know that Christ died on the cross for everyone's sin.
It is Christ's job to do the saving.

3)
No where in that verse does it tell me that I am sitting in the judgement seat.
1) Which goes against the teachings of Jesus.

2) It's how one does this that:
A) By showing example:
Be kind and generous and when people notice or thank you ... reply that it comes from having Jesus in your heart.
B) By preaching:
Go out and impose your beliefs by going to other people's houses and /or exclaiming "If you don't believe in the Holy Trinity" you are going to spend eternity in "Hell".

I choose 1) myself.

3) No human is ... period!!!
:censored2:em all!

Status
Not open for further replies.