Remember when DHL going bust was going to save UPS???

helenofcalifornia

I don't think UPS is going on life support by any means. Atlanta was a little panic-stricken there for a bit, but they will battle back along with other strong companies when the economy comes back to life. DHL was an opportunity to get a couple of steps ahead and there was a noticeable increase of NDA on my humble route. Just my two cents.

Deion68

deion68
Out here in KC we have no problems. By that I mean no Lay-offs and we have even move part-times up to drivers. We are not hiring Part-timers.

People are getting days off when they want with out fighting for them. The only thing that has changed is they are taking away overtime. NO driver is to go over 9.5. If a driver thinks that he is, we have to call the center and they will have other drivers come help.

There are some new pick-up, we put in a base car,3 days a week. I know things a different else were but it could be worse. I could lose my job like my wife.

Scuba_Steve

I think DHL has added the volume that is allowing UPS to ride out this economy.

Without the added volume from DHL, I bet things would be much much worse.

DHL has allowed volume to sort of stay about what it was last year.

So yeah, no growth this year but what would have been a big loss in volume was smoothed out by the increases due to DHL.

So, to answer the original question. Just maybe it was TRUE that DHL going bust 'saved UPS'. It certainly looks to me like it saved a whole bunch of jobs that might have been lost to layoffs.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I think DHL has added the volume that is allowing UPS to ride out this economy.

Without the added volume from DHL, I bet things would be much much worse.

DHL has allowed volume to sort of stay about what it was last year.

So yeah, no growth this year but what would have been a big loss in volume was smoothed out by the increases due to DHL.

So, to answer the original question. Just maybe it was TRUE that DHL going bust 'saved UPS'. It certainly looks to me like it saved a whole bunch of jobs that might have been lost to layoffs.

Sums it up very well...good post.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Our air drivers have picked up quite a jump in volume, thanks DHL.
And yes I see 1 or 2 trucks daily and many of their drop boxes are gone.
At best the increases have prevented layoffs, and that is a good thing.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Remember when DHL going bust was going to save UPS???

How did that work out?

First off, your whole question is based on a false premise. That of UPS having to have that extra volume to survive.

First, that shows your grand ignorance of how UPS has structured itself to overcome and protect itself from this downturn in the economy. UPS does not have to have that extra volume to survive. Yes, it helps that we got a good share of it. But for the most part, DHL priced itself so low that it could not make a profit, so that bottom feeding pricing UPS does not want in the first place.

For instance, $4.50 NDA letter domestically. Sorry, we pay our employees too much to be able to make anything in that market. And of course, supplying that to the market is what drove them under.

Secondly, in the delivery sector, UPS's credit rating is far superior to that of closest rival FDX. That was shown when both companies issued bonds, and FDX had to pay more than 2 points more than UPS did for the bonds. So, if anyone actually had to have that volume to survive, it was some of the other companies that compete with UPS.

So thank you for trying to put a spin on your reality, but it does not fly.

d

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
First off, your whole question is based on a false premise. That of UPS having to have that extra volume to survive.

First, that shows your grand ignorance of how UPS has structured itself to overcome and protect itself from this downturn in the economy. UPS does not have to have that extra volume to survive. Yes, it helps that we got a good share of it. But for the most part, DHL priced itself so low that it could not make a profit, so that bottom feeding pricing UPS does not want in the first place.

For instance, $4.50 NDA letter domestically. Sorry, we pay our employees too much to be able to make anything in that market. And of course, supplying that to the market is what drove them under.

Secondly, in the delivery sector, UPS's credit rating is far superior to that of closest rival FDX. That was shown when both companies issued bonds, and FDX had to pay more than 2 points more than UPS did for the bonds. So, if anyone actually had to have that volume to survive, it was some of the other companies that compete with UPS.

So thank you for trying to put a spin on your reality, but it does not fly.

d

Quite the contrary -

I personally never believed in the premise at all.

It appeared at the time, if you were to ask anyone on this site, that DHL going out was going to be manna from heaven . In my opinion, it barely rated a footnote.

The entire question was not a spin on reality, but was facetious.

disneyworld

On a side note-I got my new Golfsmith catalog yesterday and it appears as if we lost them to Fedex. So maybe we lose as much as we gain. I guess I'll get my new sticks from Edwin Watts or TGW.