remote routes

queenupser

queenupser
UPS will do anything to screw drivers. Over 25% of our routes are now remoted, where our drivers have to driver their personal cars 50 to 75 miles one way. Once there they load their routes out in the weather; no shelter from rain, no bathrooms, no heat in winter. The routes are running less stops than they where when they left the building. The drivers feel isolated from their co-workers and the company. Is any one else having this happen at your center???? Our Local and the IBT just say they can't help, and if you want to work then drive.:sad-very::sad-very::sad-very::sad-very:

G

Good Times

I hear one is comming to our center sometime soon!! It will be a 40 mile drive to the location and will take me 45 min. in good weather to get there. This cost savings for UPS will cost me more in fuel to get to work and what I value most ....family time!!

satellitedriver

I thought part of the contract stated that UPS had to provide a bathroom.
Where the pkg car is parked a bathroom is available,and that is all, in most cases.
Sad thing is ,where you park your car at night is a business. They close at 5pm and you finish long after that. What good is a bathroom you can't get to.
Welcome to the satellite drivers world.

UPS will do anything to screw drivers. Over 25% of our routes are now remoted, where our drivers have to driver their personal cars 50 to 75 miles one way. Once there they load their routes out in the weather; no shelter from rain, no bathrooms, no heat in winter. The routes are running less stops than they where when they left the building. The drivers feel isolated from their co-workers and the company. Is any one else having this happen at your center???? Our Local and the IBT just say they can't help, and if you want to work then drive.:sad-very::sad-very::sad-very::sad-very:

We have too many already and now we have two year bids on top of that. Man do they now how to mess things up. We see the so called feeder runs "package car hauling a TP-60" leaving the building about 15 minutes before the rest of us start. As always someone has to shuttle the left in building packages to them on there way through. Very efficient don't you think?

:wornout:

We have 3 of those satellite centers (that's what they call them here), one of which has two drivers loading out. In fact, this week I have been covering one of those two runs this week. They load the one I am running in our regular center for cover work.
A few years ago, we had a satellite center that had 9 drivers( we even had a building), they shut that down and now there is only one.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
We have two satellite centers running out of our area and I deliver from one of them. Our little center has seven routes and the other has six.

Personally I don't see any savings for UPS. They have to pay extra for:

Two buildings (office trailer and loading trailer)

Land lease

Utilities

Preload Supervisor

1 extra preloader (for the trailer..already had two loading in the old center)

two reloaders and car washers

2 feeder routes (delivery and pick-up)

Plus the fact that 3 out of the 7 routes are almost driving the same distance to the first stop as they were in the main center location.

Guess that why I am still a driver and not a bean counter at corporate headquarters.

HazMatMan

We have two satellite centers running out of our area and I deliver from one of them. Our little center has seven routes and the other has six.

Personally I don't see any savings for UPS. They have to pay extra for:

Two buildings (office trailer and loading trailer)

Land lease

Utilities

Preload Supervisor

1 extra preloader (for the trailer..already had two loading in the old center)

two reloaders and car washers

2 feeder routes (delivery and pick-up)

Plus the fact that 3 out of the 7 routes are almost driving the same distance to the first stop as they were in the main center location.

Guess that why I am still a driver and not a bean counter at corporate headquarters.

That has always been a UPS tradition, spend a dollar, save a penny.
My question is, why would you driving out to the truck NOT be a driving expense to be paid by UPS? Where is the truck exactly?? Who drove the truck there?? Sorry if I sound naive, but I am from the big city where everything is convenient.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
That has always been a UPS tradition, spend a dollar, save a penny.
My question is, why would you driving out to the truck NOT be a driving expense to be paid by UPS? Where is the truck exactly?? Who drove the truck there?? Sorry if I sound naive, but I am from the big city where everything is convenient.

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can if I am understanding them correctly HZM.

When they made the satellite center, the drivers that were currently on the routes were given the opportunity to follow their work and go to the new center. If not, they were put up for bid. It was understood that you would have to drive back and forth to the new location if you stayed on the route or bid on it.

The center I currently work at is about 24 miles from the original center. The day before the move the seven drivers that would be transferring drove their personal vehicles to the new center (on the clock) and were brought back to the original center by a supervisor. We then drove from the original center as usual, ran our routes and at the end of the day, drove back to the new center. From that day forward you were responsible to drive your own vehicle to the new center to start the work day.

I could have stayed at the original center and bumped back into another route but chose to follow my work. I liked my route and the upside is we very seldom see any supervisor or center manager.

G

Good Times

Hey Satellite: Does a feeder driver drop off your packages or does another package driver bring your daily work to you? And if a package driver brings your work is it in a pull behind trailer? At the end of day who takes back your add. corrections/ refused/ and all the ARS's and pickups you have made? Sounds like our center is getting 1 remote route and I will be assigned to me. I don't want it but have no choice...if I want to keep my job. Thanks

25yrvet

In my district the sat center is considered it's own ctr, meaning separate seniority list. I wanted to get outta the 'city', so when the original driver didn't want to commute or live in the sat town 70 miles away I jumped at the chance. As long as you behave yourself mgt rarely calls or shows up.

satellitedriver

Hey Satellite: Does a feeder driver drop off your packages or does another package driver bring your daily work to you? And if a package driver brings your work is it in a pull behind trailer? At the end of day who takes back your add. corrections/ refused/ and all the ARS's and pickups you have made? Sounds like our center is getting 1 remote route and I will be assigned to me. I don't want it but have no choice...if I want to keep my job. Thanks
The in town driver drops a trailer(I think they call it a TP 60). I load up and get back to the trailer between 5 and 6pm. Pre-sheet and complete all stops I have left to do. The in town driver pulls the trailer back with my DIAD and pick ups. I punch out over the phone with my ending miles and ending time.
If you don't live near the remote/satellite route I don't see how it would be a benefit to the driver. It would have to be a cupcake route or that the driver just needed the job and is willing to deadhead in his personal car a couple of hours every day. I deadheaded for ten years to get to the center and the satellite route works to both my and the companies benefit.
How can it be assigned to you?
It was a one time bid route in my case.

G

Good Times

That is if none of the drivers above me sign the bid sheet. The work area I'll be fine with..it is 2 times the miles work and later finish time. My kids will be in bed before I get home. MY wife will be p***** because not home in the evening to help out. They guy who runs that area is typically back to the building 5-5:30.

browniehound

Sat,
At 6pm you pre-sheet you remaining stops. I assume the DIAD goes back with the driver pulling the TP60 back to the main center. My question is, what do you do about signature required packages that you pre-sheeted but don't have the DIAD for the customer to sign? Are these stops done on paper?

Thanks in advance, as I know you have answered about 20 questions so far regarding remote routes.

Brownie :peaceful:

satellitedriver

That is if none of the drivers above me sign the bid sheet. The work area I'll be fine with..it is 2 times the miles work and later finish time. My kids will be in bed before I get home. MY wife will be p***** because not home in the evening to help out. They guy who runs that area is typically back to the building 5-5:30.
Good Luck,
and be mentally prepared to work late.
My average punch out is 8:30pm.
I hope your time getting home is earlier than that.

satellitedriver

Sat,
At 6pm you pre-sheet you remaining stops. I assume the DIAD goes back with the driver pulling the TP60 back to the main center. My question is, what do you do about signature required packages that you pre-sheeted but don't have the DIAD for the customer to sign? Are these stops done on paper?

Thanks in advance, as I know you have answered about 20 questions so far regarding remote routes.

Brownie :peaceful:
Yep, the Diad goes back.
99% of the time I only have DR's left.
The remaining 1% of sig req pkg's I NI1 (prerecorded) and get a SDN when I deliver.
Same goes for COD's.
The stops show as delivered the next day, as a duplicate stop.
That covers me from charges of running up the stop count of the next day.
You have to remember, I have lived in this rural county for 30yrs. Everyone knew me before I worked at UPS. So that gives me some leeway on sig req pkg's not showing up on the records till the next day.
People call me at home or come by all the time to tell me a package is coming and that they will be out of town when it comes. If it is medicine that needs to be kept cool, I stick it in my fridge, till they get back. Good thing I've got a large 6ft deep freezer. I've stored so many turkeys/hams/fruitcakes ect.. during the holiday season, while my customers are out of town, you would think I am running a grocery store.
I know who to trust and visa versa.
Feel free to ask questions of me.
I have learned so much on BC about the working conditions around the country for other UPSer's. I am glad to share what little info I have to offer.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
UPS is really lucky to have you Satelite. You really go above and beyond the call of duty. I would guess being away from mgmt would be one of the advantages of that type of job. And being away from family for such long hours one of the disaadvantages. Sure makes the weekends and vacations sweet. It's drivers like you that are what's good about UPS.:peaceful:

Sat,
I agree with Browndog, except it is your customers that are really lucky. Just don't ever piss off the wrong sup or center manager, taking that stuff to your home to keep safe for your people could be twisted into an integrity issue, both theft and falsifying delivery records. CYA.