remote routes

We have two satellite centers running out of our area and I deliver from one of them. Our little center has seven routes and the other has six.

Personally I don't see any savings for UPS. They have to pay extra for:

Two buildings (office trailer and loading trailer)

Land lease

Utilities

Preload Supervisor

1 extra preloader (for the trailer..already had two loading in the old center)

two reloaders and car washers

2 feeder routes (delivery and pick-up)

Plus the fact that 3 out of the 7 routes are almost driving the same distance to the first stop as they were in the main center location.

Guess that why I am still a driver and not a bean counter at corporate headquarters.
Do y'all have a computer and DIAD upload/download racks? When we had the large sat center we had the diad rack and a phone too.LOL. Our feeder driver was also a delivery driver, brought our incoming volume in the AM, delivered till aroud 17:00 and took our outgoing back that evening. We unloaded the trailer and loaded our own trucks. The only time we would see a center manager is when someone was being fired or we would get a new center manager or DM. Each driver would get one safety ride per year by an OCS.

satellitedriver

Sat,
I agree with Browndog, except it is your customers that are really lucky. Just don't ever piss off the wrong sup or center manager, taking that stuff to your home to keep safe for your people could be twisted into an integrity issue, both theft and falsifying delivery records. CYA.
I cover myself by signing my name and indirect it to my address. I am their neighbor, so there should be no falsifying or theft issues. I hope it shows that I have integrity, since I have never had a DF on any of those pkgs in my 12 years of being a Sat driver.
Thanks to you and BrownDog for the nice comments.

queenupser

queenupser
All of our sat. routes are service by a driver puling at tp-60. No restroom, no shelter, no gates to secure anything, and the trailers don't even have locks on them.Driver's have to all p/u 's back to trailer by 4:00. They take their Diad home a new one is swapped out the next day. The driver pulling the trailer is held responible if all pkgs are not recorded or left on the trailer. Send agains are left on the sat. rte pkg car till next day. Sat. rte drivers are not on a seperate seniory list, but are just all the low seniorty drivers. We have 15 sat rtes ,about 3 to 4 in four different towns , all which are 60 to 70 miles from center. UPS has to lossing money for these rtes are delivering about 20 less stops than they were when the left the building.

All of our sat. routes are service by a driver puling at tp-60. No restroom, no shelter, no gates to secure anything, and the trailers don't even have locks on them.Driver's have to all p/u 's back to trailer by 4:00. They take their Diad home a new one is swapped out the next day. The driver pulling the trailer is held responible if all pkgs are not recorded or left on the trailer. Send agains are left on the sat. rte pkg car till next day. Sat. rte drivers are not on a seperate seniory list, but are just all the low seniorty drivers. We have 15 sat rtes ,about 3 to 4 in four different towns , all which are 60 to 70 miles from center. UPS has to lossing money for these rtes are delivering about 20 less stops than they were when the left the building.
Expect some drastic changes coming up. UP$ does not put sat centers in to add drivers. Tell all the sat center drivers to keep up with their mileages for tax purposes.Deductions can be made.

Bad Gas!

Attitudes would reach unbelieveable heights if we could all go wtiout seeing our soups and center manager's!...And don't forget about the DM's! That would be an awesome change..

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Do y'all have a computer and DIAD upload/download racks? When we had the large sat center we had the diad rack and a phone too.LOL. Our feeder driver was also a delivery driver, brought our incoming volume in the AM, delivered till aroud 17:00 and took our outgoing back that evening. We unloaded the trailer and loaded our own trucks. The only time we would see a center manager is when someone was being fired or we would get a new center manager or DM. Each driver would get one safety ride per year by an OCS.

We have a computer and a diad rack......... even a fax when it is working which is not often. The diad rack doesn't do any downloading. It is strictly a charging rack. We each have two diads and they are swapped out every other day. We have a feeder come from the hub everyday and at night for pick-ups. With 7 routes we normally run 90 to 100% trailer everyday.

I wish we loaded our own package cars. It would cut down on misloads drastically. Very seldom we see a supervisor and for the 6 years we have been split away from the main center, I can only remember the center manager being there 7 or 8 times. As you said....... discipline or firings are usually the reason. Division Manager has been there twice. I can't ever remember the District Manager ever being there.

Nope........ no arm twisting necessary to get me to transfer. Not having to deal with the typical UPS B.S. on a daily basis was enough to do the trick.