Reported to Integrity: Irreg driver unsafe practice.

Integrity

Binge Poster
To all,

It was reported to me that in a particular building the irreg drivers are driving in an unsafe manner.

Is this a chronic problem in your facility also?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
What is an "irreg" driver?
undies,

An irreg driver is a person who drives the over 70's, irregular size packages around.

They drive the Industial Vehicle that pulls the train of carts around.

Some small outlying buildings do not have this equipment.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
highlight tape doesn't make the pkg. any lighter
serenity now,

Packages moving through the system without enough highlight tape that is clearly visible from all sides is a contract violation.

It is managements responsibility to see that this happens.

If it doesn't, a grievance is in order.

Has anyone ever filed a grievance about this?

Sincerely,
I

QKRSTKR

Isn't it the responsibility of the pick up driver, or if a feeder pick up, the responsibility of the shipper to label things properly? Or the driver could make sure it is properly labeled with stickers or tape on all 6 sides before picking it up? If anyone has a grievance, it would be the irreg. people. Why are the irreg. packages/over 70 s making it to a sorting facility un-marked?

Im not sure, but this sounds like a issue for a union official to deal with.

QKRSTKR

serenity now,

Packages moving through the system without enough highlight tape that is clearly visible from all sides is a contract violation.

It is managements responsibility to see that this happens.

If it doesn't, a grievance is in order.

Has anyone ever filed a grievance about this?

Sincerely,
I
I'm sure a grievance would result in a union employee being disciplined. Kind of like ratting on someone. Doesn't everyone know they are suppose to be marked on all 6 sides before coming into the system. I blame all package car drivers who pickup over 70 s that aren't properly labeled. Shame on them.

undies

undies,

An irreg driver is a person who drives the over 70's, irregular size packages around.

They drive the Industial Vehicle that pulls the train of carts around.

Some small outlying buildings do not have this equipment.

Sincerely,
I

Ah ok. That's what they're called. We call them bulk drivers. The guys we have are all pretty good at it and know when to yield to our trucks and beep the horn when they go out to the yard or passing a thoroughfare.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Isn't it the responsibility of the pick up driver, or if a feeder pick up, the responsibility of the shipper to label things properly? Or the driver could make sure it is properly labeled with stickers or tape on all 6 sides before picking it up? If anyone has a grievance, it would be the irreg. people. Why are the irreg. packages/over 70 s making it to a sorting facility un-marked?

Im not sure, but this sounds like a issue for a union official to deal with.

I'm sure a grievance would result in a union employee being disciplined. Kind of like ratting on someone. Doesn't everyone know they are suppose to be marked on all 6 sides before coming into the system. I blame all package car drivers who pickup over 70 s that aren't properly labeled. Shame on them.
QKRSTKR,

Either way is fine.

Union employees should know the contract and follow the contract.

Management employees should see that employees do the job the right way.

The union does not need more employees who don't want to do the job right.

This gives the union a bad name and reputation.

Individuals who don't want to do the job they are contractually required to do, especially when it directly benefits their union brothers, should either change or be fired.

This would pave the way for rank and file members who want to do the job the right way.

I know this is hard for some to here but union pride has to come back some time or the country is just going to hate union workers more and more.

Sincerely,
I

ocnewguy

Irregs...sometimes i have nightmares about a 500 pc 150lb/ea winch special accidentally coming down the belt. And the last thing i ever see as i am buried alive in a feeder is...winches.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Irregs...sometimes i have nightmares about a 500 pc 150lb/ea winch special accidentally coming down the belt. And the last thing i ever see as i am buried alive in a feeder is...winches.
ocnewguy,

On the belt is a contract violation.

Do you get help with these packages?

Sincerely,
I

teamsterdan

over 70's are a big issue in our facility as well (middleton wi) we do not have a bulk train and use bulk carts; we do not even have a designated bulk person most days........ they (mgt.) have basically scared, intimidated, or conned the part timers into NOT using 70 tape......how??? our facility is relatively new (built in 1996) i have been there the entire time and then sum.....when we opened we had less than 15,000 pieces daily and under 20,000 @ peak.......last few yrs. our volume runs between 20-25k daily and hit 34k @ peak........ our start times however have gotten later.....use to start in the late 3am hr, last few yrs starts consistently after 0430.......they also harass the part-timers they know have to take care of kids, go to skool, or another job....on days when air is late or we go down later than normal.....the p/t employees cut all sorts of corners and mgt. goes along with it.....there comes a pt. where "you become the a-hole" for insisting the over 70 policy is enforced......i know "how" the issue is supposed to be fixed as at one pt. many yrs ago/center managers ago, during a meeting i explained to him that the trailers come in with unmarked bulk, (from sum places more so than others) he then told US that the trailers ARE SUPPOSED TO BE audited by the supervisors, which is to include among other things load quality, un-marked bulk, damages and tape jobs that come outta any specific trailer.......kinda hard to insist your supervisors do THEIR jobs, and keep on top of the part timers.....see where i'm going with all this (it makes one very unpopular) i do personally insist on taping ALL unmarked over 70's, tape jobs etc. what those part timers don't see is that if they did EVERYTHING correctly they could all easily have 4+ hrs daily.......

Kis124

My problem

Is when they over load the train carts so they can't see, and don't beep the form when they start up. I have actually said something because the walkway is narrow, and sometimes have to criss-cross to get through, and I've been almost hit