Republican Debate Oct. 18, 2011 in Vegas

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is the first debate that I have watched start to finish. I have several impressions that I would like to share. First, I think Newt is a nice guy who is clearly out of his league. Michelle had little of substance to offer and will soon become a non-factor. I thought both Rick S. and Ron had a lot to offer but Rick is not forceful enough and Ron is too aloof to be taken seriously. The bickering between Mitt and Rick P. quickly grew old. Rick P. knows he has to step it up. I like his idea of using predator drones in conjunction with strategic fences and boots on the ground to secure the border. Mitt is by far the most polished of the group and appeals to a broad spectrum of voters.

If the election were today I would be voting for Herman Cain. I like his no-nonsense approach and business experience. He seems as though he would work well with others, seek advice on issues but in the end the decision would be his.

Cain will be on Piers Morgan tonight--perhaps we will learn more about the man behind the candidate.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I missed most of the debate. Ill have to watch it start to finish, online somewhere. But what I saw of it, I was not impressed with all the bickering.
I agree about Ron Paul, I really like the guy, Hes out there on a few things, but the rest, he is spot on.
Newt is very good, would be very good.
My pick still, Mr Cain.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I voted for Obama for two reasons: I felt we needed a change and I wanted anyone but Bush.

Newt is a nice guy but to me he represents the old guard which is why I would never vote for him.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Truth be known, Newt knows more about gov't. than all of them. He comes off like the typical college professor. It's not a likeable quality to me. He'd be a good advisor to somebody.
I don't think I get Perry the way Texans do. He may be good as a gov. but I don't like him for president.
The money, so far, says Romney/Cain.....barring any major slips!!

I didn't vote for 'O' because there was no experience there in anything but speechifying........and I was right.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The debate was actually quite good. Cains 999 plan was finally exposed by the other candidates and hopefully gave people some insight into how it will HURT them. Santorum said it best with FACTS. He said that 84% of middle americans will have their taxes RAISED under 999. That means most of us at UPS! Bachman, besides being a kook, put a professional spin on 999 with her experience as a tax attorney, and she agrees, taxes on the middle class will go up and the tax rate will have to be raised because of revenue shortfalls.

CAIN was stuck in park trying to defend 999 (because he cant) and NEWT pointed that out. CAIN, (whos behind the scenes people created the 999) didnt know how to explain 999 other than to re-direct people to his website. Bachman explained in detail how the 999 will contain hidden taxes and CAIN demonstrated that he didnt understand what she was talking bout. CAIN tries to make jokes when hes stuck on an issue and that just doesnt fly in national politics. Either way, CAIN showed why he isnt quite ready for primetime.

Newt looked good and was more controlled than ever, but I dont think he reasonates with the GOP anymore.

Santorum looks like a bully and too far to the religious right for comfort.

Perry, well, lets just say he looked like Bush and that speaks for itself.

Ron Paul is the probably the smartest guy in the room. His ideas for cuts are real, he is not afraid to make the cuts that would be necessary. The problem with Paul is that he is TOO SMART for the GOP to handle. PAUL doesnt speak to the typical GOP follower who likes to hear talking points and talking points only.

PAULS defense of the OWS people was spot on. The others, went for the political talking points because thats what the audience wants to hear.

The GOP base only wants to hear what it wants to hear. That happens to be TALKING POINTS. PAUL doesnt speak in that language and that makes him unattractive to the typical person who calls themself a republican.

Bachman, other than her position on 999, sounded desperate and can never answer a direct question no matter how many times shes asked and redirected to the question. I dont expect her to last another month.

Romney, who decided to show how he can lose control by placing his arm on perrys shoulder on several occassions, looked silly. Placing his arm on Perry shows he has a lack of control. Its a subconscience reaction to touch the other person when you are angry and Romney showed he was angry.

The exchanges were goofy and Romneys biggest problem is being a flip flopper on issues. Despite being the most experienced, Romney is NEVER going to get the GOP nomination. If he ran as an independent candidate, he would win, but as a GOP candidate, he wont beat OBAMA.

At the end of the day, all of the candidates looked silly on stage.

Peace.

Truth be known, Newt knows more about gov't. than all of them. He comes off like the typical college professor. It's not a likeable quality to me. He'd be a good advisor to somebody.
I don't think I get Perry the way Texans do. He may be good as a gov. but I don't like him for president.
The money, so far, says Romney/Cain.....barring any major slips!!

I didn't vote for 'O' because there was no experience there in anything but speechifying........and I was right.

Trust me, all Texans don't like Perry all that much either. As I have said before, I voted against him twice for governor. As gove. he has done some good things and some not so good.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Trust me, all Texans don't like Perry all that much either. As I have said before, I voted against him twice for governor. As gove. he has done some good things and some not so good.
Good to know my 'reading' of him isn't so wrong. See, I have a friend in TX. who swears that Perry walks on water and I just haven't seen that from him.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Cain will be on Piers Morgan tonight--perhaps we will learn more about the man behind the candidate.

Please let us know how that interview goes...i dont have access to TV all this week and would like to know. Piers Morgan is a Liberal and has been rather nasty towards any Conservatives. Cain has no fear and has been on all the networks doing interviews. He even was on the View and held is own very well.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The debate was actually quite good. Cains 999 plan was finally exposed by the other candidates and hopefully gave people some insight into how it will HURT them. Santorum said it best with FACTS. He said that 84% of middle americans will have their taxes RAISED under 999. That means most of us at UPS! Bachman, besides being a kook, put a professional spin on 999 with her experience as a tax attorney, and she agrees, taxes on the middle class will go up and the tax rate will have to be raised because of revenue shortfalls.

CAIN was stuck in park trying to defend 999 (because he cant) and NEWT pointed that out. CAIN, (whos behind the scenes people created the 999) didnt know how to explain 999 other than to re-direct people to his website. Bachman explained in detail how the 999 will contain hidden taxes and CAIN demonstrated that he didnt understand what she was talking bout. CAIN tries to make jokes when hes stuck on an issue and that just doesnt fly in national politics. Either way, CAIN showed why he isnt quite ready for primetime.

Newt looked good and was more controlled than ever, but I dont think he reasonates with the GOP anymore.

Santorum looks like a bully and too far to the religious right for comfort.

Perry, well, lets just say he looked like Bush and that speaks for itself.

Ron Paul is the probably the smartest guy in the room. His ideas for cuts are real, he is not afraid to make the cuts that would be necessary. The problem with Paul is that he is TOO SMART for the GOP to handle. PAUL doesnt speak to the typical GOP follower who likes to hear talking points and talking points only.

PAULS defense of the OWS people was spot on. The others, went for the political talking points because thats what the audience wants to hear.

The GOP base only wants to hear what it wants to hear. That happens to be TALKING POINTS. PAUL doesnt speak in that language and that makes him unattractive to the typical person who calls themself a republican.

Bachman, other than her position on 999, sounded desperate and can never answer a direct question no matter how many times shes asked and redirected to the question. I dont expect her to last another month.

Romney, who decided to show how he can lose control by placing his arm on perrys shoulder on several occassions, looked silly. Placing his arm on Perry shows he has a lack of control. Its a subconscience reaction to touch the other person when you are angry and Romney showed he was angry.

The exchanges were goofy and Romneys biggest problem is being a flip flopper on issues. Despite being the most experienced, Romney is NEVER going to get the GOP nomination. If he ran as an independent candidate, he would win, but as a GOP candidate, he wont beat OBAMA.

At the end of the day, all of the candidates looked silly on stage.

Peace.

Ron Paul is alright, he definitely didn't or doesn't look silly. Like you said, too much intelligence and whispers of reality for the typical GOP'er to run with. The rest want to keep it dumbed down and slick for the voting masses.

klein

Für Meno :)
Well, I watched most of it, too.
I think Ron Paul made some stupid remarks actually, esspecially about subsidizing Germany.

Trust me, property isn't cheap in Germany, and Germany or even all of Europe doesn't need US bases there.
It's the US that needs one of the most modern military hospitals on earth in Germany.

That's the fist stop wounded US military personal go to , before being transported back to the US, from anywhere east of the Atlantic.
A direct flight from Iraq back to the US is almost impossible, and would lead to many more deaths of American soldiers.

France has nuclear weapons, so does England, Germany still has an awesome Luftwaffe (fastest fighter jets), submarines, & tanks.

Leave if you want to, but it's countries like Germany that will benifit from all US bases being closed.
Like I mentioned, land is very expensive there (people live mostly in apartments or 3 storey, 3 family homes, unlike here).
That extra land could be put to good use.

Cain - they didn't hit hard enough on him - but will come at a later point.
I liked the oranges & apples Romney pointed out to him, as well as Bachmann saying tax on tax... which does happen !
Example: The little corner grocery store buys from Costco, pays 9% extra at Costco, now that little store, needs to add 9% to his cost, plus another 9% on the difference. , plus Costco had to pay an extra 9% to the manufacturer.

Meaning: the little retail store sells a can of coke currently for $1.00, buys the can at Costco for 35 cents, Costco buys it at coke for 30 cents.
After 9-9-9. Costco pays 33cents for the can, adds 5 cents for proft.. but 6 cents with tax = 39 cents.
Retail store pays extra 4 cents now, and if he still sold it for $1.00, he must give the tax man 9% or 9 cents of that.
Retail store loses 13 cents on each sale - but instead adds that extra cost to the consumer = $1.14 per can (needs to add an extra penny, for extra taxes).

So, at very, very best to break even that can of coke is now $1.14, but no one wants penny prices in corner stores... so it goes up to either $1.15, 1.20, or even $1.25.

Much more then the 9% !

Plus ofcourse with every price increase, State taxes also go up, which I haven't even accounted for !

moreluck

golden ticket member
The 3rd '9' in Cain's plan is under scrutiny. The guy who helped develop the plan wants to change it to a different 9. It's the National Sales Tax 9 that is in question. Like I said before, it's not set in cement....it's fluid. It will get updated as time goes along.