Request advice regarding package tampering...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
What I don't get is how do these employees have to balls to steal??

They don't have balls.... That's why they steal.

If they had balls.... they wouldn't be afraid to work.

Thefts are almost always from new or seasonal employees that seem to not care whether they get caught. Very rarely happens with long time employees.

The only time.. I have seen a long time employee involved with this....

Was because of "illegal" drug addiction. (and the boo-hoo story with it)

Unfortunately, I have a bit of a predicament for which I am seeking advice.

Looking at your original post (and pics)....

The package was a advertisement.... for the curious.

-Bug-

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Let me be the first to say that I really do appreciate all of the hardworking employees at UPS for the tireless work that you put in throughout the year and in particular around the holiday season.

Unfortunately, I have a bit of a predicament for which I am seeking advice.

Timeline:
December 9th TWO identical packages containing watches are shipped to me via UPS.11
December 11th BOTH are scanned and updated in the system as "Out for Delivery". However only 1 package is brought to the door and has clearly been sliced open through the security tape and then resealed using clear packing tape. The watch had been stolen. I declined delivery and had it sent back to the shipper.

The second package from the same shipment has completely disappeared off the grid and has had no further scans since that day. A tracer has been requested but no updates have been given.

I spoke with the 1-800 customer service on 4 separate occasions regarding these packages from Dec 9th. Of course as I am not the shipper I have almost no power. However, I did pay a visit to my local UPS Customer Center on Dec 12th and spoke with one of the Supervisors there who said that they would notify security and investigate the situation. They took my name and number but I've not heard anything back since then.

Fast forward to this week:
December 20 Same shipper sends another watch to me via UPS.
December 23 The package is brought to my house by a different driver in the evening. Again, someone has opened the package, this time by tearing down the side of the box and then resealing with clear packing tape.

Here are the photos:

11523241994_ff8c387a3b_c.jpg

11523243024_3644553539_c.jpg

The shipper is just across the state from me in Hollywood, FL and the packages arrive within 1 day to me in Tampa with only 1 stop in between in Orlando. Therefore there is very little time in transit for the tampering to occur. As the second package in the initial Dec 9th shipment disappeared AT the Tampa Customer Center after being scanned for delivery I suspect that the problem may lie there.

At this point, who do I need to contact to notify them of this pattern and to try to prevent it from happening again in the future. Is there a theft prevention department that I could call or e-mail?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
If you would stop ordering these watches, they would not be stolen. :dissapointed:
Many jewelry shippers but the jewelry in a bigger box so it is not obvious that it is jewelry.
The Shipper can also put any name they want on the shipping labels such as "Socks Galore".

oldngray

nowhere special
The "tamper proof tape" is another issue. Frequently the tape doesn't stick well so needs to be retaped. Not always a sign of someone trying to pilfer (usually it isn't). More often its poor packaging or the usual rough treatment packages get going through system (more from mechanical issue such as belt jams than from people crushing boxes) needing some tape to seal the package back up. And in that situation its items falling out of boxes and get sent to QC - which is a frequent occurrence.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If you would stop ordering these watches, they would not be stolen. :dissapointed:
Many jewelry shippers put the jewelry in a bigger box so it is not obvious that it is jewelry.
The Shipper can also put any name they want on the shipping labels such as "Socks Galore".

Trying to dissuade.. someone from shipping with the company.. is not the answer.

Better packaging.... and "less" obvious.... return labels.... is a better suggestion.

The "tamper proof tape" is another issue.

I know....you remember.... the hand cranked (glue applied) machines.

-Bug-

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Trying to dissuade.. someone from shipping with the company.. is not the answer.

You need to adjust your sarcasm monitor.

Better packaging.... and "less" obvious.... return labels.... is a better suggestion.

Placing the smaller jewelry box inside a much bigger box may help reduce theft.

I know....you remember.... the hand cranked (glue applied) machines.

I worked in the shipping department of a Christmas bulb factory during the summer while I was in college. I became very familiar with those machines.