Request to stay in one area?

Shonuff

Hi, Is it normal to be moved around from area to area? I was hired back in October to be a package handler in Air Recovery. Our whole group even went thru the Hazmat certification process. After peak season the company asked most of us to stay on and then a lot of us got displaced to other areas within the HUB. Since the end of peak, I've logged most of my hours in smallls and in the HUB with 1-2 days a week in Air Recovery.

I never slack off and always work hard and it seems other supes always request me to work in their area so I think my reputation as a worker is solid. Is there a way to request a preferred area to work in instead of being moved around all the time? Since I was hired for Air Recovery and I have my Hazmat Cert., I would like to stay in Air. I have not made seniority yet (I was hired October 15, 2014) but I believe it is coming up soon.

Future

Victory Ride
this-is-the-picture-598x250.jpg

Shonuff

Yes pretty much, but within reason. All I'm saying is that if there is someone newer than me (which I know are not that many right NOW) then shouldn't I get preference over the new guy? I know it won't happen overnight, or it may even take several years. I just want my name on the list so if and when my time comes to have preference, I can exercise the privilege, if such a privilege exists. Am I correct to assume that Union membership includes seniority rights?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes pretty much, but within reason. All I'm saying is that if there is someone newer than me (which I know are not that many right NOW) then shouldn't I get preference over the new guy? I know it won't happen overnight, or it may even take several years. I just want my name on the list so if and when my time comes to have preference, I can exercise the privilege, if such a privilege exists. Am I correct to assume that Union membership includes seniority rights?
Work as directed pretty much.

Although i will admitt never worked in an air hub so wouldn't know how that would work.

If you expect to stick around at ups just do as you're told. Unless your safety is involved.

Shonuff

@Brownslave688: That's kind of the feeling I got talking to other senior guys at the HUB. "Always keep working, Safety first, try not to cause any drama, and eventually your time will come".
By the way I did smell the sarcasm from your 1st reply from a mile away....Funny....

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
@Brownslave688: That's kind of the feeling I got talking to other senior guys at the HUB. "Always keep working, Safety first, try not to cause any drama, and eventually your time will come".
By the way I did smell the sarcasm from your 1st reply from a mile away....Funny....
Really depends on if you want to drive. If not make all the waves you want as early as you want.

If you want to drive make them think you're a perfect angel until after you make it as a driver.

J

jibbs

I was in a similar situation. Pulled from my pull of 2 and a half years to help with a trailer (what we call a "doghouse") they put in the parking lot for peak. A new manager came in and, as far as he knew, I was a "homeless floater" and he did his damndest to keep it that way.

Eventually, I managed to persuade him that it was best to keep me on my original pull. I didn't use words, though... I communicated strictly through load quality when I realized that words were failing to have any effect.

Worked out well for me, but I was definitely taking a gamble.... I mean, they could've just said ":censored2: you, jibbs" and thrown me in the unload or something.

Just keep in mind that, once you tell a supervisor what you don't want to do, in that instant they discover exactly what position to put you in if you ever get on their bad side.

Shonuff

I was in a similar situation. Pulled from my pull of 2 and a half years to help with a trailer (what we call a "doghouse") they put in the parking lot for peak. A new manager came in and, as far as he knew, I was a "homeless floater" and he did his damndest to keep it that way.

Eventually, I managed to persuade him that it was best to keep me on my original pull. I didn't use words, though... I communicated strictly through load quality when I realized that words were failing to have any effect.

Worked out well for me, but I was definitely taking a gamble.... I mean, they could've just said ":censored2: you, jibbs" and thrown me in the unload or something.

Just keep in mind that, once you tell a supervisor what you don't want to do, in that instant they discover exactly what position to put you in if you ever get on their bad side.

Thanks jibbs for your input in regards to your experience. I'm trying to stay quiet about what I like and don't like doing simply because of the fact that I've read and heard about so many experiences similar to yours, which brings me to some advice an old co worker used to tell me at my other job.
"Tread carefully in putting your full trust into managers or supervisors, cause in the end, they are not in it for your bests interests, but only theirs. If you make the manager look like a star they'll do anything to 'pigeon hole' you into a position. So I guess it's either work hard, keep quiet and hope for the best, or kiss ass to get ahead. I'm fed up with office politics so the latter is out of the question.

J

jibbs

What's everybody got against unload? Easiest job at ups except probably smalls.

Well, unload's cool. I hate the sort aisle, though. The two upper belts are, like, about half a foot to a foot above my head. Usually an hour in or after a run of over-70's going to those two top belts and my upper body's dead.

I don't hate on the guys that do it, though. In my center, the guys in the unload and sort aisle are, for the most part, the coworkers I seem to get along best with (probably because we don't work together, though.) Toughest job physically, easiest regarding work-related stress, in my opinion.

J

jibbs

Not in a big hub, back when I was on local sort all I had to do is brown nose two of the three supervisors... Same gravy everyday

What to do when your PT supe's want you on their belt, but their supervisor wants you somewhere else? It was an argument like everyday for a good two weeks, lol. At least my PT supes had my back, though... well.... that's what a handful of them have told me individually, though.

So yeah, I'm really jaded when it comes to dealing with upper management but, for the most part, the PT supes have always been decent at the least to work for/with. Problems like the OPs tend to arise when the higher-ups come around with all these big plans to make an already efficient operation moreso.

Hi, Is it normal to be moved around from area to area? I was hired back in October to be a package handler in Air Recovery. Our whole group even went thru the Hazmat certification process. After peak season the company asked most of us to stay on and then a lot of us got displaced to other areas within the HUB. Since the end of peak, I've logged most of my hours in smallls and in the HUB with 1-2 days a week in Air Recovery.

I never slack off and always work hard and it seems other supes always request me to work in their area so I think my reputation as a worker is solid. Is there a way to request a preferred area to work in instead of being moved around all the time? Since I was hired for Air Recovery and I have my Hazmat Cert., I would like to stay in Air. I have not made seniority yet (I was hired October 15, 2014) but I believe it is coming up soon.
If you want to stay in 1 area that you're good at, then perform to the best of your ability at that position. Do as told until sups notice that you're actually good at that specific area or position.

PT Car Washer

What to do when your PT supe's want you on their belt, but their supervisor wants you somewhere else? It was an argument like everyday for a good two weeks, lol. At least my PT supes had my back, though... well.... that's what a handful of them have told me individually, though.

So yeah, I'm really jaded when it comes to dealing with upper management but, for the most part, the PT supes have always been decent at the least to work for/with. Problems like the OPs tend to arise when the higher-ups come around with all these big plans to make an already efficient operation moreso.
A preload manager is "upper management"? More like entry level management.

Shonuff

What's everybody got against unload? Easiest job at ups except probably smalls.

Smalls is hands down the easiest job, and when I first started working there I THOUGHT that "this was the gig". But after doing it for few weeks in a row, I just got bored and sick of it. A lot of people felt that way too. Its monotonous work and I felt like I was turning into a robot. Unloading is not too bad, but the supes in that area (at least in my HUB) make it more stressful than it is. Our batch that got hired together nicknamed it the "Thunderdome" because is seems like pandemonium every time. Supes are yelling all the time like its life or death, and your always risking some limbs trying to unjam the lower belt, which gets jammed ALL THE TIME.