Required to drive on Saturday?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Sculpin, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Sculpin

Sculpin New Member

I am a preloaded. I also do some air driving. Mainly shuttling late air out to drivers during the week as needed; sometimes I make deliveries on Saturdays (about 2 days a month on average). I have a volunteering obligation this coming Saturday and I am afraid that I am going to be required to work (I now have the lowest seniority). Two guys on the air driver list went to FT ground. If they ask me to, am I requires to work on Saturday? What are the repercussions if I say no?

2. barnyard

barnyard KTM rider Staff Member

Just tell them you are unavailable on Monday. Solve it before it becomes a problem.

3. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Under Art. 40 I believe they can force you to drive on Saturdays. Very seldom enforced in my building except for the Friday after Thanksgiving. Of course they can't stop you from calling in sick.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Tell them first thing Monday morning.

5. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

Tell them on Monday morning that you have another important obligation for Saturday. That puts the ball in their court.

I am not sure if they can force you. PT Car Washer says they can. I'd ask one of your stewards at the hub.

6. UpstateNYUPSer

If they have no one else available they can force him to work.

7. 1Low59

1Low59 Active Member

In my ctr our utility drivers are so unreliable that we often have FT drivers working Saturday air. Easy OT.

8. PT Car Washer

Most PTers work 2 or 3 jobs just to make ends meet. They often don't have enough legal hours to work on Saturday.

9. UpstateNYUPSer

Very few PTers report total hours worked.

10. PT Car Washer

They do when they don't want to work Saturday.

11. 1Low59

1Low59 Active Member

When I was a Part-timer I also had a full time job. I worked every Saturday delivering air for 2 years. Only had 1 day off a week until I went into FT Pkg driver.

12. PT Car Washer

The last 30 years the only time I worked 6 days a week was when I wasn't working 7 days a week.

13. 1Low59

1Low59 Active Member

All work no play. Good for you

14. UpstateNYUPSer

...yet somehow he finds the time to play Pop Pop...

15. PT Car Washer

Children play. Men take care of their families. Anyway work will soon be just a memory. Not.

16. PT Car Washer

When you enjoy doing what you are being paid for, is it still considered work?

17. 1Low59

1Low59 Active Member

Isn't that why we go to work everyday. To provide for our families. When you enjoy what you do, it doesn't seem like work at all.

18. PT Car Washer

This new center manager is doing his best to keep me from enjoying my job. I am doing my best to help him from keeping his job.

19. 1Low59

1Low59 Active Member

They are all the same. Keep it up

20. UpstateNYUPSer

They are NOT all the same.