Residential Pickups via DIAD - Commit time

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If the close time is later than the commit time, I will put the close time. Sometimes the OMS will change the commit time.

Sometimes I will put the same time as the commit time. After the commit time has passed, the diad will prompt me for a reason why the commit was missed. I then type in resi. Sometimes the OMS will change the commit time to a later time.

Just curious Hoaxster, is there a default commit time on the web page for pickups? I ask because sometimes I will get an OCA with a commit time for 3 PM and the business doesn't close until midnight (taco bueno). I ask the customer why they scheduled the pickup so early if they are going to be open until midnight, and they say that the website doesn't give them an option. Is that true?
Thanks Santa, I had not thought of this. Will have to remember it.

Johney

Which totally negates the cost savings of the original intent of having an ARS/RS label given to a customer.
Ie:
20 mile round trip for an OCA (personal experience) and it is a ARS/ RS for 1lb pkg.
The original shipper is getting a sweet deal for return service.
We (UPS) are losing money and time accepting ARS pkgs as OCA.
ARS pkg's should only be accepted on route or at a drop point.
IMHO.
Isn't there a $10 charge for this? I remember going out to pick up an ARS on the old one times and there being a $10 charge.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Isn't there a $10 charge for this? I remember going out to pick up an ARS on the old one times and there being a $10 charge.

Yes there is a $10 charge for all ARS/RS pickups.
This may be incentived if the 1Z owner is a very large customer but it is almost always still a $6 or more of revenue.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
If the close time is later than the commit time, I will put the close time. Sometimes the OMS will change the commit time.

Sometimes I will put the same time as the commit time. After the commit time has passed, the diad will prompt me for a reason why the commit was missed. I then type in resi. Sometimes the OMS will change the commit time to a later time.

Just curious Hoaxster, is there a default commit time on the web page for pickups? I ask because sometimes I will get an OCA with a commit time for 3 PM and the business doesn't close until midnight (taco bueno). I ask the customer why they scheduled the pickup so early if they are going to be open until midnight, and they say that the website doesn't give them an option. Is that true?
The website defaults to 5 p.m. as the customer close time for the US.
The commit time is determined by the ODS systems and may be manually changed by the OMS. Someone is checking into this for me.
The default time for Ready Time on UPS.com is 8 a.m.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Which totally negates the cost savings of the original intent of having an ARS/RS label given to a customer.
Ie:
20 mile round trip for an OCA (personal experience) and it is a ARS/ RS for 1lb pkg.
The original shipper is getting a sweet deal for return service.
We (UPS) are losing money and time accepting ARS pkgs as OCA.
ARS pkg's should only be accepted on route or at a drop point.
IMHO.

There is a $10 charge for all ARS/RS pickups.
This may be incentived if the 1Z owner is a very large customer but it is almost always still a $6 or more of revenue.
I agree, it should be picked up on trace.
But you do bring up a good point Sat.
I will get with the developers and ODS and if agreed, have any Ground/3DS ARS/RS designated in the Comments field as either RS or ARS.
A Return Service package can have as high a priority as any shipment but the ARS is a "non-priority" shipment.
We only know it is a RS/ARS when it is Ground/3DS because we have them enter the 1Z which has the service level embedded in the 1Z.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So Hoax, is there a technical difference between ARS and RS? Other than the priority.

I have p/u NDA RS

Definitely.
ARS is a service for non-critical returns, typically for refurbishing/recycling.

RS are services we offer customers that allows them to react to an immediate request from their customer. This is typically a time-based transactional service.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/value_added/returns.html

ARS and RS have a different service code embedded in the 1Z (9 and 10 characters in 1Z). RS and ARS are processed by Billing differently and with the possibility of different incentives. Declared value limits are imposed and GSR eligibility is different.

DS

Fenderbender
Where I am most drivers get at the least 12 oncalls every day.
Yesterday I got 21.I can only do so much with my deliveries and my daily pickups.When I get the resi ones thay say 17:00 commit,I override it and type ,cant get there till 18:45.Our oncalls in Toronto get dispatched by our head office in Moncton N.B.which is almost 3000 miles away.They go by the postal code which they get wrong a lot.Override is my friend.
I often kick out ones that I know another driver has a delivery for,or that have too much volume,or ones that are too time consuming.

NaiveRapture

Learning the system
For some strange reason my center makes us accept the OCA even if it isn't ours, THEN call the center and have them *remove* it from our boards. We're not allowed to "override, out of area". I wish I knew why haha.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

For some strange reason my center makes us accept the OCA even if it isn't ours, THEN call the center and have them *remove* it from our boards. We're not allowed to "override, out of area". I wish I knew why haha.

Your OMS is most likely hoping that you will decide to make the OCA rather than call and have it removed.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

That must be a Florida thing. I don't accept anything not on my area. I will accept those with bad commit times, messaging the oms afterward to change the commit time.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I usually message the oms and ask her to change the commit time to something more suitable. I want a resi p/u as late as possible, leaving me time to finish my business stops. I have never had a problem getting the time changed.

Now, if the time was 18:30 commit; I'd swing by before that time as I made deliveries in the area, to see if the pkg was ready. If the pkg is ready, I'd pick it up. Hope this answers your question.

You and I are definitely in the same area. We had that pcm also. I think the oms's got upset about people send oca's back to the center. I still send em back, though, I tell them which driver actually gets that particular ods.

That must be a Florida thing. I don't accept anything not on my area. I will accept those with bad commit times, messaging the oms afterward to change the commit time.