Resignation in the Mail!!!!!

satellitedriver

Maybe hoser and satellitedriver can start their own union.
They can have an election to determine who is president and VP.
Their slate can be:
It's all about us!
We want something for nothing!
"Just stay under the radar"? Does that mean let the company have what it wants, when it wants it?
"....by law the union has to represent all.....", I'm assuming you're talking about dues paying as well as non-dues paying people. If this isn't such a big deal to you then you won't mind delivering packages for free.
My guess is you two are located at some small center out in the sticks where the center manager drops by once a day to see how things are going. Try working at a big hub where supes have noithing to do all day but stand around with their hands in their pockets playing pocket billiards and waiting for the next driver to come along to mess with.
Oh, and by the way, when the company messes with you try finding an attorney downtown that will represent you for things like:
-over 9.5 days
-seniority issues
-screwing up your paycheck
-supes that go on witch hunts
-trumped up sexual harassment charges
I'm just guessing here but I bet you two are some of the young, innocent, impressionable, wide-eyed and bulletproof kids the company preys on to slowly crumble any representation and protection (kinda like the police and the fire dept) the workers have.
Make sure your mommies know what time to wake you up....... you wouldn't want to oversleep.
You guess alot and you are wrong alot.
It is about me and my familiys future.
You babble alot .

tieguy

Banned
it takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to stand up for your beliefs. A lot of courage on your part to hold your union accoutable if you honestly believe they do not do enough to represent your interests. Sadly the fact remains that the needs of the union often differ from the needs of the membership. Therefore you will never see the union negotiate 401K match because they can not control the funds like they want. They will never negotiate profit sharing because the money would go directly to you and not through the unions hands first. Your union still holds parking lot votes in the middle of summer when everyone is on vacation to decide contract issues. Your unions tactics were good 50 years ago but are now outdated. If your union was smart they could negotiate profit sharing plans that would replenish your retirement funds. But unfortuately the juke box is stuck on the same old tune. Stand tall and you could have a union that truly represents all members.

30andout

it takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to stand up for your beliefs. A lot of courage on your part to hold your union accoutable if you honestly believe they do not do enough to represent your interests. Sadly the fact remains that the needs of the union often differ from the needs of the membership. Therefore you will never see the union negotiate 401K match because they can not control the funds like they want. They will never negotiate profit sharing because the money would go directly to you and not through the unions hands first. Your union still holds parking lot votes in the middle of summer when everyone is on vacation to decide contract issues. Your unions tactics were good 50 years ago but are now outdated. If your union was smart they could negotiate profit sharing plans that would replenish your retirement funds. But unfortuately the juke box is stuck on the same old tune. Stand tall and you could have a union that truly represents all members.
Gee that came from Tie, just exactly what are you trying to say.

hoser

Industrial Slob
When the police and fire don't do anything when I call, then maybe I'll want to stop paying taxes. Kinda like how I don't like paying union dues for nothing.
surely, you're a more responsible taxpayer than that...

"i don't have kids, i don't want my taxes to go into the education system"

:confused:1

satellitedriver

I would hold them accountable if I could. You will never see any benefit increase if the "REAMSTERS" union upper management does not get a slice of the pie. Only wage increases matter, since that is what the "dues" are based on. I would rather have the monies UPS has given to the "REAMSTERS" only go to UPSER'S, but it is more important to payout benefits to other company employees that the "REAMSTERS" have helped put out of business. Plain and simple, UPS money should go to UPS employees.
I agree with your post.

LKLND3380

I'm so glad you asked those questions, because you will probably be surprised at my answer.

I attended almost every meeting that I possibly could. At our center up until recently, we had monthly meetings with the Union Stewards and went over issues concerning our center and grievances filed. I attended pretty much every one of them. Myself along with a couple of others probably had a better attendance than even the Union stewards at the time.

I also attended meetings at our Local Union Hall on occasion. Myself and a couple of others were the only ones from our center to attend the last such meeting.

I have voted in every election possible since day 1 (almost 17 years ago) and I did vote in the last election. No I wasn't a Hoffa supporter. I have made it known many times on this forum that that would be my last official act as a Teamster. I can not support another organization and still pay dues to the Teamsters. That would make me a hypocrite.quote]

You see... You are describing what the problem is.... You attended "most of the meetings" at your center and "had better attendance than the stewards..." Hold them accountable and if they can not attend EVERY meeting some new stewards are needed...

The meetings at the union hall are more critical to attend as this is where your focus should be... The parking lot at the union hall should be PACKED tighter than a bulked out 500 car... I am sure a couple of old timers could tell you stories of the 1970s and the parking lot was packed...

UPS sees the union falling apart and that is what they want... They want the Union to loose strenghth and the general membership to not care... Then UPS will wipe their :censored2: with the contract and tell everyone they can make minimum wage with no benefits...

I am pleased to hear your answers but instead of quitting the Union, I wish you said that you would take two or three preloaders to the meetings at the Union Hall... Encourage others to attend the meetings... Work at taking back the Union instead of walking away...

satellitedriver

I'm so glad you asked those questions, because you will probably be surprised at my answer.

I attended almost every meeting that I possibly could. At our center up until recently, we had monthly meetings with the Union Stewards and went over issues concerning our center and grievances filed. I attended pretty much every one of them. Myself along with a couple of others probably had a better attendance than even the Union stewards at the time.

I also attended meetings at our Local Union Hall on occasion. Myself and a couple of others were the only ones from our center to attend the last such meeting.

I have voted in every election possible since day 1 (almost 17 years ago) and I did vote in the last election. No I wasn't a Hoffa supporter. I have made it known many times on this forum that that would be my last official act as a Teamster. I can not support another organization and still pay dues to the Teamsters. That would make me a hypocrite.quote]

You see... You are describing what the problem is.... You attended "most of the meetings" at your center and "had better attendance than the stewards..." Hold them accountable and if they can not attend EVERY meeting some new stewards are needed...

The meetings at the union hall are more critical to attend as this is where your focus should be... The parking lot at the union hall should be PACKED tighter than a bulked out 500 car... I am sure a couple of old timers could tell you stories of the 1970s and the parking lot was packed...

UPS sees the union falling apart and that is what they want... They want the Union to loose strenghth and the general membership to not care... Then UPS will wipe their :censored2: with the contract and tell everyone they can make minimum wage with no benefits...

I am pleased to hear your answers but instead of quitting the Union, I wish you said that you would take two or three preloaders to the meetings at the Union Hall... Encourage others to attend the meetings... Work at taking back the Union instead of walking away...
Work at taking back the union?
Where has it been?
Take it back from what?
The corruption of the past, the corruption and mismanagement of the present.
If you are simple enough to believe that the union( REAMSTER upper management) cares what is discussed in the union halls then you will keep seeing decreased benefits and increased union dues.
Run, don't walk away from a union that cares more about itself than the company that pays its bills.
The money given to the "REAMSTERS" by UPS should only go to UPSER'S.
The remark about UPs only paying minimum wage and no benefits is typical lockstep language of the union from the last century.

hoser

Industrial Slob
"Just stay under the radar"? Does that mean let the company have what it wants, when it wants it?
you hit the scotch a bit early again. if you read my post, "stay under the radar" meant "don't rock the boat", or "learn to pick your fights, realising this isn't a good fight. just do your job, pay your dues as much as you hate it, and go home knowing that when you come in the next day, you don't have to deal with the trickpony's of your centre"

I think if you pusillanimous out of the Union, you should first lose your Union negotiated wage. We'll drop your wage $5 an hour.

Well, actually that's the second thing. You've already lost the respect of your co-workers.
Exactly. I judge people by the merits of their character, so I wouldn't care less about a co-worker that wanted out of the union. I'd even say he/she was corageous because I hate unions and I still wouldn't withdraw from one (unless I knew I had at least a clique on my side). But I know that in unionized shops, 98% don't share the same sentiment.

Ahh, classic unionist fear mongering. Why don't I fart in a wine glass and smell it, too?

Last edited:

trickpony1

"...because I hate unions and I still wouldn't withdraw from one unless I knew I had at least a clique on my side.".

Let's see....you seem to have an elementary understanding of the concept of "strength in numbers". You seem to hate the Teamsters' but you want, essentially, your own union......one that would nuzzle up to management and jump at their every whim?

You talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

Why don't you go on into management.......they've got a union for ya.:lol: :lol: :lol:

hoser

Industrial Slob
"...because I hate unions and I still wouldn't withdraw from one unless I knew I had at least a clique on my side.".

Let's see....you seem to have an elementary understanding of the concept of "strength in numbers". You seem to hate the Teamsters' but you want, essentially, your own union......one that would nuzzle up to management and jump at their every whim?

You talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

Why don't you go on into management.......they've got a union for ya.:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'll gladly go into management where my earnings won't go into a union. I'll stop getting the newsletter every month that wastes paper, whining about companies putting their operational needs ahead of the desires of overpaid teamsters.

Everything else said, you're completely wrong, because you read into my comments horrendously. Christ, man. The reason why I won't quit the teamsters is because of the numbers. I don't want my own union. Ideally, there'd be no union. But this is the way it is, and the best thing I can do is just stay in and just do my job (going back to the "pick the right fights").

When I said 'clique', I meant 'a group of friends to relate to and count on', not 'form my own counter-union'. :rolleyes:

benschreivogel

The Union mearly has to uphold the contract. They don't have to protect you when management says your not working hard enough and if for some reason there were layoffs you would be first to see the pink slip.

tieguy

Banned
so as not to disappoint......

when you get fired for some trumped up reason you be sure and run to your local union and beg for protection.:mad:
While you're at it, see if you can quit paying your state and federal taxes for police and fire protection because, after all, when was the last time you had to call the police or fire department.
The company loves people that resign from the union.

This is turning into an interesting little twist here. When a managment person quits and sends the company a letter with the friend bomb many of you applaud him for having the courage to stand up to the company. When a fellow teamster does the same thing in protest of how the teamsters handle issues you chastise him.

mittam

Hopefully, it's a done deal this time. My "Reamsters" resignation letter is in the mail as we speak. After the 2nd time maybe they'll realize I am serious this time. I went to the NLRB website and printed off the National Labor Relations Act and sent a copy of it to them along with my resignation letter. A copy was sent to TEAMSTERS local as well as UPS Payroll dept in a certified letter.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

The flood gates are open for any criticism. I wouldn't expect anything but that from any of my former brethren!!!! :lol: :lol:

Way to go Gman, I did the samething July 2005, So far I have not had anyone dare to try and harrass me over this. I have deep convictions others may not share them but they have yet to say a negative word to me. I have representation better now than ever, they realize they have no choice, they don't represent me it is an NLRB violation. Most people there know I have been a union member for the last 28 years and I still believe in the strenght of a good union, however I do not believe the teamsters are the way to go, I stand strong for the APWA!!!