Resignation question.

Code43

With regards to getting my unused vacation check, can Express do anything to me if I give one weeks notice instead of two?? Just curious.

overflowed

Be careful with that. I heard if you don't give 2 weeks notice now, they actually fire you and cannot be rehired. Just info for you, do with it what you want.

SmithBarney

Be careful with that. I heard if you don't give 2 weeks notice now, they actually fire you and cannot be rehired. Just info for you, do with it what you want.
Oh yeah thats right, I also forgot a person who gave their two weeks notice in the morning, and when they were done with the route the Senior Mgr was there to collect their ID at the end of the day.. Nice company, don't do any favors for them, they won't do them for you.

overflowed

Oh yeah thats right, I also forgot a person who gave their two weeks notice in the morning, and when they were done with the route the Senior Mgr was there to collect their ID at the end of the day.. Nice company, don't do any favors for them, they won't do them for you.
That was some top brasses ego. Doesn't even make sense. It only screams "ungrateful bastard to not let us abuse you anymore." What the hell you gonna do with the ID. How are you gonna get equipment for two weeks. Can't you just hand it in the last day?

overflowed

The more I think about that. I think it is paranoia. They are afraid we'll use it to access something later. So grab it as soon as they put notice kind of thing or the senior will be strung from the ceiling.

MAKAVELI

That's when you tell them , thanks now I can tell my new job I can start sooner. ;)

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies
2 weeks? Give them -2 hours. Call in 2 hours past your shift start time and say you're not coming back. By law they can't say anything negative about you if a new job calls for a reference. And it sounds like you already have a job lined up. :censored2: Fedex.

STFXG

2 weeks? Give them -2 hours. Call in 2 hours past your shift start time and say you're not coming back. By law they can't say anything negative about you if a new job calls for a reference. And it sounds like you already have a job lined up. :censored2: Fedex.
There's nothing illegal about answering truthfully when called by your new employer. If you quit with no notice they can say that. I'm pretty sure the FedEx HR policy will only be to verify the time/dates you worked there. They won't give a positive or a negative reference.

Code43

90% positive I have a job lined up. I deliver to another transportation type company on my route daily. The hours will be longer. Would be working in sales. The money is much better. It's not a perfect job by any means but it literally cannot be worse than where Im at now. I figure if it doesn't work out I can always come back to hell at basically the same pay rate I'm at now. Lol.

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies
There's nothing illegal about answering truthfully when called by your new employer. If you quit with no notice they can say that. I'm pretty sure the FedEx HR policy will only be to verify the time/dates you worked there. They won't give a positive or a negative reference.

My business management professor told us that its unlawful to give a former employee a negative reference. Who knows. There's ways around out. List your buddy as your manager and put their phone number as your reference contact number. Unless it's a law enforcement job, HR won't send someone to the terminal to verify references.

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies
90% positive I have a job lined up. I deliver to another transportation type company on my route daily. The hours will be longer. Would be working in sales. The money is much better. It's not a perfect job by any means but it literally cannot be worse than where Im at now. I figure if it doesn't work out I can always come back to hell at basically the same pay rate I'm at now. Lol.

Man, :censored2: FedEx. It's not a democrat or republican thing, it's a corporate greed thing and that's exactly what FedEx is. They could pay UPS wages with comparable benefits, but they won't. Where does the money go! To Fred's bank account. Who cares about Fred. Time to take care of you.

STFXG

My business management professor told us that its unlawful to give a former employee a negative reference. Who knows. There's ways around out. List your buddy as your manager and put their phone number as your reference contact number. Unless it's a law enforcement job, HR won't send someone to the terminal to verify references.
That professor shouldn't be teaching. The reason no one gives a negative reference is over the fear of a defamation lawsuit. If the employer doesn't give you the job because of a bad reference you can turn and sue your old company (whether or not what they said is true). Too much of a liability to say anything. Just "yes they worked here from a to b".

overflowed

Regardless, good luck and I think in a bit you'll be glad you bounced. Even though I can't stand this place, when I leave I will give notice. No reason to burn bridges even if it's the thing you feel you should do. And I really can't stand this place anymore. Peace dude, and again good luck.

WestcoastHD

Massive Stinkies
That professor shouldn't be teaching. The reason no one gives a negative reference is over the fear of a defamation lawsuit. If the employer doesn't give you the job because of a bad reference you can turn and sue your old company (whether or not what they said is true). Too much of a liability to say anything. Just "yes they worked here from a to b".

Makes sense. Another example of a "never had a real job" professor spreading bull:censored2: to their students. That's half the problem with America's youth these days. The college professors who have no real world experience preach their lies to the students.

I take my FedEx ground/HD job and am happy with it solely because I have something better lined up in a few weeks. If I didn't, I would have never started here. There's a difference between a job and a career. Fedex provides me with a job, but as for a career, I'm gone in a few weeks. FedEx can keep their record breaking profits, but I won't be contributing to them. I'm off to somewhere with a pension, healthcare, stability and a retirement.

Much respect to the drivers that are able to put up with it everyday and realize this is the best option they have.

Last edited: