Resignation

sendagain

Something doesn't smell right when you leave to go to a new job and then disappear from them for six months, having only worked there a few weeks. That should have been brought out right up front, and it probably would have stopped the hire at least until after the deployment. I agree with some other posts that this poster looks fake.

Z

zyxwvut

You definitely made a wise choice.

Management isn’t for everyone. It particularly isn’t for the “Let’s All Get Along” crowd. Those are the people that are being culled right now.

They’re being bought out (the attempt is there), occasionally fired, and increasingly are forced to quit - and also increasingly they're retiring.

You can bet there’s going to be another round of people reassigned that’ll shortly quit, probably within the next quarter.

At any rate, I’ll let you in on something – in all my time at UPS I’ve *never* known someone fired that didn’t *deserve* it, and I’ve known very few that quit that were missed. Probably 10 people in roughly 28 years where I felt it was a crying shame UPS lost them. None of them were supervisors.

UPS isn’t the be-all, end-all. I’ve known plenty of people that have doubled, tripled, and quadrupled their salary jumping off the UPS ship.

Trick isn’t to double your supervisor pay – trick is to quadruple your district manager’s pay.

As a supervisor you don’t really have the expertise or exposure to the greater company to be qualified to evaluate your building/district with respect to how it is managed.

Just so you know.

I suppose you could have gotten lucky and are parroting something you heard from someone that was qualified to make the determination.

I suspect it is more likely that you are not at all poorly run with respect to some that ARE (and have been) circling the bowl (for decades).

From that standpoint you’ve done good jumping now. Had you hung around and worked yourself up you’d eventually find yourself exposed to some true s*it-holes – and you couldn’t hack the “walk in the park” stuff, most likely. LOL.

That’s a win/win in my book.

Kudos for recognizing that you aren’t satisfied and moving on. This board is eat up with people that should follow your example but don’t have that much initiative in them.

That’s ok. UPS is addressing the LAGA crowd (that functions as a support/reinforcement mechanism for its workforce at large) and once they’re out they’ll start giving some of those that are reluctant to move on a gentle “push” and replace them with people a little less cavalier about their employment and livelihood.

Yes, I got a “kick” out of your “letter” – position is now open for someone qualified (assuming you can find one in the hourly ranks – that’s not my first choice though) – that’s what we call “opportunity.” It doesn’t happen frequently enough, IMO.

Good luck (and hopefully the door didn't HYITA too hard on the way out).

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The letter I think is OK, as rngri already had a new job, wasnt trying to increase his career chances at UPS, and sometimes there just isnt another word that fits. In which case it was not a career building, character supporting letter, just his thoughts.
Now as I have heard from several say, they think he is a troll, you would have to be pretty sick to have a story like this and a pseudo post of his wife, and I for one cant question it as I am not in the military and dont know how they shift their people, etc. I do know they try to be flexible as I have a son in the military and any time their has been an emergency, at home, and there have been several, his BOSS accomodates him. Although he is not in Iraq, he holds a pretty important position. So I just believe rngri. I could be wrong, but I dont think so. And if it is true as I think it is. God Bless him. If it turns out to be not true, he will pay his dues.

rngri4

No, i'm not a troll, and PM me any fax number, and I will send you service records, and a business card. I probably shouldn't have posted the resignation letter for everyone to see, since it has caused a swarm it looks like. Anyway, the letter I submitted was 8 pages long, and I would be happy to post the whole thing, in .doc format. I said a lot of positive thing about the company actually, when I started at UPS I loved my job, and still liked my job when I quit. Again, I hated the direction it appears the company is taking, any business class and/or business model suggests that it is a wrong turn, and the new bosses we are getting, are gung ho butt chewers, which doesn't work. Yes, I was fed up with UPS, I have my reasons to be, but I still wouldn't go back knowing what I know now. If anyone else wants to call me a troll, go ahead, because I can back up my claims....you can't by name calling without proof.

dragracer66

Nice try with the resignation letter. The truely effective way to communicate what you think to upper management is throught the ERI survey. Be sure to carefully select the ratings. Never give a 4 when a 3 is warranted. Also, carefully thought out comments with excellent grammar are real attention grabbers and have the possible effect of steering company policy in the future. (Never use all capital letters or ! marks. You should make your point though use of powerful English not punctuation.)
To h*** with the ERI that's more B******* than anything. Who ever got any results from that? He did it right except for the profanity. GOOD LUCK!!!

{edited by moderator... you "did it right except for the profanity" :)}

rngri4

To h*** with the ERI that's more B******* than anything. Who ever got any results from that? He did it right except for the profanity. GOOD LUCK!!!

The ERI has never proved anything, all the unhappy hourlies and salaried people in our building prove that, because they all brag about the bad rating they give.

dragracer66

Awe come on Cheryl.... H-ll isn't a bad word and I cleverly mispelled bulls**t. Your killing me I feel like I'm at work!!!! LOL:laugh:

satellitedriver

Theres a side of me that likes your hutspah.
Some truth to the above . His letter will be discounted as that of a malcontent leaving.They will point to the profanity in proof. You lost that effect when you jumped in the gutter with the letter.

If however he writes a letter speaking of how much he enjoyed the opportunity and how sorry he is to have to leave well then his departure is much more difficult to rationalize when those in the upper ranks discuss his leaving. He can still calmly list his reasons for leaving and still make his points. But the friend-bomb killed that chance.
I disagree.
Sometimes it is good to tell someone to take a flying friend-bomb(as you call it) at a rolling donut. At least, he didn't make an allegory out his penis and his job.
They may discount his letter and point the finger of judgement on his profanity , but they will never address the problems he addressed for leaving.
If UPs ever disclosed his resigination letter to a new employer, I wish I was his lawyer.

tieguy

Banned
You definitely made a wise choice.

UPS isn’t the be-all, end-all. I’ve known plenty of people that have doubled, tripled, and quadrupled their salary jumping off the UPS ship.

Kudos for recognizing that you aren’t satisfied and moving on. This board is eat up with people that should follow your example but don’t have that much initiative in them.

In light of your point that you have known many people that left to double or triple their salary and your point that many people don't have the initiative to leave the question would be did you also leave and triple your salary? You claim to know how it was done therefore I would guess you had the initiative and also left and tripled your salary?

tieguy

Banned
No, i'm not a troll, and PM me any fax number, and I will send you service records, and a business card. I probably shouldn't have posted the resignation letter for everyone to see, since it has caused a swarm it looks like. Anyway, the letter I submitted was 8 pages long, and I would be happy to post the whole thing, in .doc format. I said a lot of positive thing about the company actually, when I started at UPS I loved my job, and still liked my job when I quit. Again, I hated the direction it appears the company is taking, any business class and/or business model suggests that it is a wrong turn, and the new bosses we are getting, are gung ho butt chewers, which doesn't work. Yes, I was fed up with UPS, I have my reasons to be, but I still wouldn't go back knowing what I know now. If anyone else wants to call me a troll, go ahead, because I can back up my claims....you can't by name calling without proof.

And thus my question from what I have read you post. I have served in the military , I have served in a first responder , rapid deployment unit I have not served in combat. I can not ever imagine equating working for ups as being more stressfull or tougher then serving on the front lines in any combat situation. I can not imagine any company would agree to pay you two to three times your current salary knowing you would work for them a couple of weeks before being deployed for six months or more. I am afraid I might be dishing someone serving my country but your story does not add up.

tieguy

Banned
I disagree.
Sometimes it is good to tell someone to take a flying friend-bomb(as you call it) at a rolling donut. At least, he didn't make an allegory out his penis and his job.
They may discount his letter and point the finger of judgement on his profanity , but they will never address the problems he addressed for leaving.
If UPs ever disclosed his resigination letter to a new employer, I wish I was his lawyer.

I'm sorry it takes no courage to tell someone to friend theirselves when you quit. In fact it reeks of cowardice.

the penis analogy was an extreme example of the fact that people sometimes try to blame UPS for any body part that fails to work properly during their employment years. I thought your previous responses indicated you understood that point.

rngri4

And thus my question from what I have read you post. I have served in the military , I have served in a first responder , rapid deployment unit I have not served in combat. I can not ever imagine equating working for ups as being more stressfull or tougher then serving on the front lines in any combat situation. I can not imagine any company would agree to pay you two to three times your current salary knowing you would work for them a couple of weeks before being deployed for six months or more. I am afraid I might be dishing someone serving my country but your story does not add up.

That is called tongue in cheek sarcasm, of course, being on the front lines is more stressful than working for UPS. I was being sarcastic, thats it, when I made the comment, if UPS was worse than combat, then God help us all....sometimes I may wonder, but in reality there is no comparison between the two. At UPS, you don't have people trying to blow your head off, they may be chewing you out, so really I guess in one respect it is two different kinds of stress, but still the same. No combat is ten times worse than UPS, no doubt about that. Carrying a 50 lb pack for miles, is 10 times the workout anyone will get in a day at UPS.

When I left 2 1/2 yrs ago (15 yrs, 10 in mgmt), I e-mailed my own version of my exit interview to all the UPS employees on the Board of Directors(non-UPS Board members don't count) and the district manager. That e-mail was probably pretty similiar to your resignation letter. I was probably ignored as a disgruntled employee but I felt better and they can never say they were unaware of the problems this company has because of their decisions.

1) It's only bad to burn a bridge you intend to cross again. UPS is one bridge I will never cross again.

2) Upper mgmt does not care that they are destroying a good business, they are only concerned in lining their pockets. (i.e. doubling dividends in last few years, a little money for those with couple thousand shares, a lot of money for those with hundred thousand shares plus).

3) Forget the ERI. I would bet that at least 80-90% of mgmt is unhappy with the direction this Board and upper mgmt has taken the company. Vote against this Board when you vote your shares in March. If a large enough % votes against the Board, they will take notice.

Why do I still get on brown cafe every couple of months? I still have shares and a lot of miserable friends in mgmt in Metro Philly that I talk to often. Brown cafe confirms I was right to leave when I did and it is all of UPS not just Metro Philly that feels the same way about the direction the company has taken.

disneyworld

Did the higher ups forget about "Get the big picture". It's not a matter of discounting his resignation to a disgruntled employee. It's more about the fact that he and so many others are leaving a once proud company in droves.

satellitedriver

I'm sorry it takes no courage to tell someone to friend theirselves when you quit. In fact it reeks of cowardice.

the penis analogy was an extreme example of the fact that people sometimes try to blame UPS for any body part that fails to work properly during their employment years. I thought your previous responses indicated you understood that point.
I did understand your point. It was your definition of profanity, that did not make sense to me. For you to use a body part to make a point, then discount someone's argument of having "used" said body part as a function to make a point is a leap of logic I can not grasp. If you would have written the letter using your analogy it would then been deemed acceptable?
A simple, GoodBye and God Bless would be my letter.
I do not know if it is cowardice to tell someone to friend-off in a letter, but I do know the results when it is done face to face.

BCFan

had a on car sup quit last year 2 weeks before christmas (atlanta hub) really a nice guy -cared about his folks i told him "you are really screwing UPS" his reply "poetic justice" gotta love that guy ...BC

benschreivogel

"To h*** with the ERI that's more B******* than anything. Who ever got any results from that? He did it right except for the profanity. GOOD LUCK!!!"

I have , twice

tieguy

Banned
I did understand your point. It was your definition of profanity, that did not make sense to me. For you to use a body part to make a point, then discount someone's argument of having "used" said body part as a function to make a point is a leap of logic I can not grasp. If you would have written the letter using your analogy it would then been deemed acceptable?

Lol, now thats an interesting idea. Dear Mike I can no longer work for this company because my penis is just not working like it used to before I came to UPS.

A simple, GoodBye and God Bless would be my letter.

probably mine too. Sometimes its better to never let them see you sweat or become disgruntled. You never know you might need the job reference somewhere down the road.

anyway your objection to my abstract reference has been duly noted.

To rngr regardless of how you leave the brown machine I thank you for putting your but on the line for your country.