Resigned after almost 17 years of service!

trickpony1

I am truly surprised that after 21 posts on this subject we haven't heard from our most frequent and staunch supporter of management.....Mr. Tieguy.

.....cat got your tongue?

A

axyl

I know several drivers who have gone in management and most all of them have quit. I never fell for that one since I like where I live, and most are sent somewhere they hate. Many get divorced and age in dog years. They try to tell you how happy they are but you can see right through them. When you see them after they have left , some say I should have stayed a driver. It is really sad.
Sour grapes. Unhappy people will be unhappy where ever they are, hourly or management.

It's difficult for someone that feels that they want to do something different to decide to stay in a blue collar job, even one that pays as well as a driver. It was a difficult choice for me to put in a letter to try to be in management knowing all of the pressure that would come from my fellow drivers to stay in their ranks. After facing the peer pressure I now face unrealistic job expectations and a ridiculous amount of hours. Would I do make a different choice knowing what I do now? Absolutely not.

No one at UPS has an easy job but we are all paid very well for our efforts. I'm not whining but my hours as an operations sup are insane. I get discouraged and frustrated by this place everyday but I'm not as frustrated as I would be if I had stayed driving. I don't regret my choice but I don't think that staying a driver is a bad choice either. No disrespect to either career path. It's a personal choice.

satellitedriver

That's one problem - "best" managers aren't your friends. Best "friends" aren't managers. When that gets to be the case the management herd needs to be culled.

You're the hired help and nothing more - and you're paid a premium for it. Live with it.

The initial poster seems to be a loon.

He claims 6 years hourly and 11 in management. That math doesn't work anywhere. Six years to figure out your career path? While only occupying space and burning time? BS.

Not anymore. Not here. You better figure out a Teamster life is repulsive and unsatisfying within a year - preferably within four months.

Testing now is specifically designed to disqualify you BEFORE you get in the program. That's to cut down on your "best managers" scenario.

The general consensus in certain parts of the country is that UPS is going to lose approximately 60% of its management structure in the next eight years due to retirement alone.

My personal understanding is that they intend to take 15 - 18% of vehicles off the road during that time period. Do the math.

Management will decrease through attrition. Do you have a "Jobs Program?"

I didn't think so. Teamster "drivers" are going to go the way of carhaul and freight in the small package division within the decade. Watch and see.
What kind of abacas are you doing your math on?
The only way 15 to 18% of vehicles (we call them pkg cars,fyi) will be taken off the road depends on package volume, not how many managers there is to dispatch.
I would love to see this so called "general consensus" explained.
Your post is bogus, IMHO.

VTBrown

I'd like to give a howdy hello to a voice that represents the majority of management at UPS. As if you would actually say this to anyones face in real life, I don't think so. If we are hired help, what exactly are you? What makes you more of an asset to UPS than a driver who, ya know, does basically everything for the customers. The last thing this company will get rid of is its drivers. We will be here long after you get pink-slipped by the real movers and shakers at UPS, you're just a pretender.

P.S. -- The entire segment about management fading and UPS then taking 15% of vehicles off the road....thanks for the laugh, guy.

Oh my freaken god......I agree with Griff. What is going on? :surprised:

govols019

You smell that?
Many get divorced and age in dog years.

They do seem to age fast, don't they?

I ran into an ex-manager who said that UPS could offer him a million dollars to come back for 12 months and he would turn them down.

HazMatMan

I just resigned after almost 17 years of service, with the last 11 in management. My only regret is that I didn’t leave any sooner. I haven’t felt this good in a very, very long time. I’ll finally be able to be a father to my children and spend time doing some things that I would like to do before I’m too old and run down. UPS management doesn’t believe in family no matter what they say. The pay is extremely overrated and there are far more companies that treat they people better from both a working environment and compensation perspective.

We’ve had 7 full-time management employees leave since January. That is almost unheard of. You could literally go years without any management employee quitting years ago. Now it has become common place. It doesn’t look good for the company and it doesn’t seem like they are trying to doing anything about it either. It’s happening in every district throughout the country right now. They better act quickly before it’s too late

Drivers, don’t ever believe that supervisors make more than you. If you are considering going into management, think again!!!!! There were many days that I wished I would have stayed a union employee. Good luck to all of you and I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday!
Good luck, I hope you have a back-up plan.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
I think it just goes to show you that UPS is not the great employer it was 20-30 tears ago. I think you would be hard pressed to find a significant amount of employees who would say otherwise. That's why people resign and forsake their pensions! Jim Casey had a vision of a company that treated it's employees with respect and a company that treated each and every customer as a valued commodity. That isn't the case today.How many of us can say " UPS respects me, appreciates the hard work I do day after day, and cares about my family and quality family time. THEY DON'T- BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO! We are paid well with good benefits and we can take it or leave it. More and more are choosing to - leave it. The bigger companies get, The less they remember how they got there. But as long as the Big Kahunas keep making their million dollar bonuses and million dollar salaries everyone else and everything else can be damned. I am glad I got a job, I just don't respect my employer as much as I did 20 years ago. And I do believe Jim Casey is rolling over in his grave at the way HIS company is being run today.:dissapointed: Good luck to all who have moved on, Enjoy your family!

Leftinbuilding

Ex, did you retire of your own volition? Or were you asked to leave? Just curious. Most of the mgmnt people I have seen leave, quit before they were fired.

HazMatMan

They do seem to age fast, don't they?

I ran into an ex-manager who said that UPS could offer him a million dollars to come back for 12 months and he would turn them down.
That's probably because he already has a couple of mil in the bank so why would he need another mil.

stealth8

This job, like any other job, is what YOU make it! I have been a package car driver for 28 yrs now and I can still honestly say that I love the work I do. I can retire when I want, but have decided to work, until I don't like having to get up to go to work in the morning. That day could come tomorrow, or it could come in ten years. True, the company is not what it use to be, it has evolved just like our society in general. With the new technology and equipment that we have today our job has it's tradeoffs. Most of us now drive "cadillac" style package cars with power steering and automatics. Back in the old days all we had were manual transmissions and hard to steer and manuever beasts!! Gone are the days of paper delivery records, keeping a wad of COD cash in your pocket, and storing presigned delivery notices in a recipe box. With the new DIAD we only need half a brain to do the job! I find the job of today much easier then it ever was.
I often wonder what I would be doing today, if I would have gone to college and had chosen another career ,then I realize that I really couldn't be happier than I am right now at this point in my life. Sorry for waffling on here but I just had to get this off my chest after reading so much negativity about the company that has been good to me and my family for 28yrs now. HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all!!! Stealth8

Brownnblue

That's one problem - "best" managers aren't your friends. Best "friends" aren't managers. When that gets to be the case the management herd needs to be culled.

You're the hired help and nothing more - and you're paid a premium for it. Live with it.

The initial poster seems to be a loon.

He claims 6 years hourly and 11 in management. That math doesn't work anywhere. Six years to figure out your career path? While only occupying space and burning time? BS.

Not anymore. Not here. You better figure out a Teamster life is repulsive and unsatisfying within a year - preferably within four months.

Testing now is specifically designed to disqualify you BEFORE you get in the program. That's to cut down on your "best managers" scenario.

The general consensus in certain parts of the country is that UPS is going to lose approximately 60% of its management structure in the next eight years due to retirement alone.

My personal understanding is that they intend to take 15 - 18% of vehicles off the road during that time period. Do the math.

Management will decrease through attrition. Do you have a "Jobs Program?"

I didn't think so. Teamster "drivers" are going to go the way of carhaul and freight in the small package division within the decade. Watch and see.

This is easily one of the most poorly written posts I've ever read on browncafe. How did we go from management personal being friends with hourly to Teamster driver jobs being phased out. Thank goodness you had your trusty thesaurus.
General consensus? Personal understanding? I would say that there might be considerable "gray area" here.
I agree with Griff, this was very entertaining.

nupesix

Philly Dude
I'd like to give a howdy hello to a voice that represents the majority of management at UPS. As if you would actually say this to anyones face in real life, I don't think so. If we are hired help, what exactly are you? What makes you more of an asset to UPS than a driver who, ya know, does basically everything for the customers. The last thing this company will get rid of is its drivers. We will be here long after you get pink-slipped by the real movers and shakers at UPS, you're just a pretender.

P.S. -- The entire segment about management fading and UPS then taking 15% of vehicles off the road....thanks for the laugh, guy.
People leave UPS, FEDEX, the local factory,and professions everyday. Most leave because they feel that they can find happiness and job satisfaction somewhere else. We all are responsinle for or own happiness; and if you allow a job to define you and expect it to make you happy-then you'll never be happy. Think about what you would do ifmoney didn't matter and go do it. It's not about attacking UPS or the people that work there; the people are no different than anyone else and the company is in the business of business...so what did you expect ?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've been driving for 8 years now, but before that I was a part-time sup for 3.5
My decision to leave management and go into driving is the greatest choice I've ever made (don't tell my wife that)
I can't see how working 12 hour days for less money would be in anyones interest. I feel sorry for the Fulltime sups who have to deal with the bs, but its there own fault
Between sales leads,safety,eri's, and the other bs JUST DISPATCH THE CARS CORRECTLY
Everybodies lives would be easier !

tieguy

Banned
I am truly surprised that after 21 posts on this subject we haven't heard from our most frequent and staunch supporter of management.....Mr. Tieguy.

.....cat got your tongue?

Miss me?

I really don't have much to say on this one. Some people aren't cut out to be leaders of big brown. Its a demanding job. He realized it was not his cup of tea and moved on instead of planning to be miserable everyday like you and Griff do. I respect his decision and wish him well.