Resigned after almost 17 years of service!

705red

Browncafe Steward
That's one problem - "best" managers aren't your friends. Best "friends" aren't managers. When that gets to be the case the management herd needs to be culled.

You're the hired help and nothing more - and you're paid a premium for it. Live with it.

The initial poster seems to be a loon.

He claims 6 years hourly and 11 in management. That math doesn't work anywhere. Six years to figure out your career path? While only occupying space and burning time? BS.

Not anymore. Not here. You better figure out a Teamster life is repulsive and unsatisfying within a year - preferably within four months.

Testing now is specifically designed to disqualify you BEFORE you get in the program. That's to cut down on your "best managers" scenario.

The general consensus in certain parts of the country is that UPS is going to lose approximately 60% of its management structure in the next eight years due to retirement alone.

My personal understanding is that they intend to take 15 - 18% of vehicles off the road during that time period. Do the math.

Management will decrease through attrition. Do you have a "Jobs Program?"

I didn't think so. Teamster "drivers" are going to go the way of carhaul and freight in the small package division within the decade. Watch and see.
I thought you would have waited untril you took over officially, but welcome to the cafe scotty. Thanks for explaining our company growth outlook that you are implementing for the future. Why dont you come and ride on my truck with me for 1 week during xmas and see how this company operates, seeing that you have NO ups experience!

wkmac

Interesting trends these days. When I first came to work for UPS and from there up into the early 90's, you had to blast people out with dynamite on the management and even a lot on the hourly side. Folks rarely quit!

The revolving turnover door started with the PTers' in the 90's and now as I've seen, it's ramping up among the management as the oriiginal post in this thread points to as suggesting the trend. How many have seen FT drivers quit as well?

As you talk around, you find a lot of management these days talking from 2 directions going the same way. The ones with not a lot of years are considering other options and talking with now departed former UPS managers about life on the outside and the ones with lots of years are all looking (same for a lot of UPS hourlies with lots of years) towards the day they can retire. In either case, it's a situation of wanting to leave something they don't like and in most cases it's because the company has changed and not for the good!

Very Interesting trends indeed!

under the radar

A Trained Professional
This job, like any other job, is what YOU make it! I have been a package car driver for 28 yrs now and I can still honestly say that I love the work I do. I can retire when I want, but have decided to work, until I don't like having to get up to go to work in the morning. That day could come tomorrow, or it could come in ten years. True, the company is not what it use to be, it has evolved just like our society in general. With the new technology and equipment that we have today our job has it's tradeoffs. Most of us now drive "cadillac" style package cars with power steering and automatics. Back in the old days all we had were manual transmissions and hard to steer and manuever beasts!! Gone are the days of paper delivery records, keeping a wad of COD cash in your pocket, and storing presigned delivery notices in a recipe box. With the new DIAD we only need half a brain to do the job! I find the job of today much easier then it ever was.
I often wonder what I would be doing today, if I would have gone to college and had chosen another career ,then I realize that I really couldn't be happier than I am right now at this point in my life. Sorry for waffling on here but I just had to get this off my chest after reading so much negativity about the company that has been good to me and my family for 28yrs now. HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all!!! Stealth8

I couldn't have put it any better. From what I see every day, the grass isn't always greener. Once I learned how to deal with the stress of being a driver (in my case), I realized that this is a great living for which I am thankful for. If I was in the field I went to college for, I would be making half as much with twice the stress that I have now.

The job really is what you make it. If you are relatively new to the job, find someone to mentor you who you respect. Every center has one or more.

If you have a few whiskers like I do (31 years and I'm darned proud of it), seek out those who you recognize are making the same mistakes you did and help them (with gentleness and respect). I've found that it's actually fun to help others avoid the mistakes that I have made over the years.

Radar out

DS

Fenderbender
This job, like any other job, is what YOU make it! . Most of us now drive "cadillac" style package cars with power steering and automatics.I'm a 52 yr old 18 year driver and I still have a p800.Back in the old days all we had were manual transmissions and hard to steer and manuever beasts!! Gone are the days of paper delivery records, keeping a wad of COD cashWe still take cash here in Canada in your pocket, and storing presigned delivery notices in a recipe box. With the new DIAD we only need half a brain to do the job! I find the job of today much easier then it ever was. Ok, that's true
I often wonder what I would be doing today, if I would have gone to college and had chosen another career ,then I realize that I really couldn't be happier than I am right now at this point in my life. Sorry for waffling on here but I just had to get this off my chest after reading so much negativity about the company that has been good to me and my family for 28yrs now.I like the job too for the most part,every job includes those days from hell HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all!!! Stealth8
I hate when non members come in here,spew a load of smundge and dont have the nerve to speak again like that Litmus test dude.
Sounds to me like he dug out his childhood chemistry set he got for Christmas in 1967 and mixed some weird chemicals together.