Respect "On Topic"

Pats Fan

This is less of a question as it is an observation. I have been with UPS only a short while as a pre loader (hired right before peak as a temp). Before being hired I heard horrible things about working at UPS. How difficult it is to work, how everyone :censored2:s on you... etc. I worked at the end of the belt with three trucks. I often got behind and my supervisor would come help me out. As time went on I got a little better. Maybe a misload per day on average, which I know is not good. After peak my trucks were no longer there and I had to call in for work. Then I was told that some guys were leaving so there was a year round opportunity, but I had to take 4 cars at the end of a belt. I came in everyday and literally gave it my all, and got my ass kicked every day. Boxes going past me, misloads, one driver complaint. I really really wanted this job for the health insurance for my family. I make it a point to be cordial and friendly to all my supervisors and co workers. I apologize to my drivers for my misloads, I honestly do not want to add to their day. Now I'm being moved again to another spot to split the belt and 2 cars. The problem is I'm short, and cannot reach across the belt so inevitably boxes get by me. That spot is only temporary so I do not know if I will have a job again in a couple weeks. I've put my wife and family through an emotional roller coaster with this. In the end I know that I gave it my best and despite my best efforts I guess its not good enough. I truly respect you guys that are able to do this job and make it look easy and have been doing it for years. I've worked a lot of physically demanding jobs, but this one takes the cake. Driver who read this, I hope that you know or remember (if you were one a preloader) how demanding this job is. I hope that somehow I get better at the job and they keep me. At this point that looks doubtful. I've been looking at threads on tips on how to perform better, increase speed, etc. You guys have earned my respect.

HardknocksUPSer

This is less of a question as it is an observation. I have been with UPS only a short while as a pre loader (hired right before peak as a temp). Before being hired I heard horrible things about working at UPS. How difficult it is to work, how everyone :censored2:s on you... etc. I worked at the end of the belt with three trucks. I often got behind and my supervisor would come help me out. As time went on I got a little better. Maybe a misload per day on average, which I know is not good. After peak my trucks were no longer there and I had to call in for work. Then I was told that some guys were leaving so there was a year round opportunity, but I had to take 4 cars at the end of a belt. I came in everyday and literally gave it my all, and got my ass kicked every day. Boxes going past me, misloads, one driver complaint. I really really wanted this job for the health insurance for my family. I make it a point to be cordial and friendly to all my supervisors and co workers. I apologize to my drivers for my misloads, I honestly do not want to add to their day. Now I'm being moved again to another spot to split the belt and 2 cars. The problem is I'm short, and cannot reach across the belt so inevitably boxes get by me. That spot is only temporary so I do not know if I will have a job again in a couple weeks. I've put my wife and family through an emotional roller coaster with this. In the end I know that I gave it my best and despite my best efforts I guess its not good enough. I truly respect you guys that are able to do this job and make it look easy and have been doing it for years. I've worked a lot of physically demanding jobs, but this one takes the cake. Driver who read this, I hope that you know or remember (if you were one a preloader) how demanding this job is. I hope that somehow I get better at the job and they keep me. At this point that looks doubtful. I've been looking at threads on tips on how to perform better, increase speed, etc. You guys have earned my respect.
Are you currently still working? If so then your in your 30 day qualifying. Seasonals were supposed to be done on the 15th.. Keep in mind you can't really be fired for speed unless your a snail but you can for misloads, take your time and get the right package in the right truck and what you can't load stack out and people will be there to help, it took me a good 30-35 days to get used to the job, I know load 5 trucks with a average of 1 maybe 2 misloads a week, it's all about learning how to work the belt so your able to keep up with the belt, knowing when and where the package is going before you even walk into the truck, it just takes time. From my observations UPS pushes everyone to the limit and willl work you to death if you let em, just be early every morning and keep a positive attitude, being a reliable mediocre loader is better than being a unreliable loader. Once you get the hang of it then you can work on loaf quality. Best of luck

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
It seems UPS tries to make it almost impossible to work for them these days. It's really ridiculous to come on here everyday and read another story like this. It shouldn't be this hard to work for a company.

HardknocksUPSer

It seems UPS tries to make it almost impossible to work for them these days. It's really ridiculous to come on here everyday and read another story like this. It shouldn't be this hard to work for a company.
I had to beg them to work it's like you have to be a freakin marine just to get their "okay" to work and then your not good enough or fast enough, ect.. Just a scare tactic and way to see what your made of I believe. I was told I was being let go as a seasonal because of misloads, this was before I got hired permanently, I begged them let me keep my job and now they couldn't sell me a misload most days. It's pretty ridiculous the hard workers they let slip through their fingers all over something stupid.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It's not. Come in so the job the best you can. Rinse and repeat 5 days a week.

T

Turdferguson

Everybody sucks at their job when they first start. If you truly wish to make a career out of UPS you have got to develop a thicker skin. You are a piece of equipment in UPS eyes to be exploited and used. That is just the mentality that exist at MOST location. Show up ,do the best you can ,give an honest hard effort, and the job will get easier with time. Take the complaints of others with a grain of salt. Because whatever else they may tell you at one point and time they were new too and sucked and needed help too

tacken

The job it self is not that hard. Its's dealing with the SUPS center manager AND SO ON. Not rocket science so why make it seem like it is. They are box's. Come on MAN......

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
It boils down to how hard we make it on ourselves. All their make believe numbers. Are how they can get every second out of you. Try to put the same effort day after day. But, if you give more and more. They will take it. Then YOU cant perform. To YOUR impossible numbers. For me the only time I sweat is because it's 90 out. I have the same dispatch day after day.

brownmvp

Alot of ppl are good preloaders but they will make you feel as if ur just fiddling your thumbs all day. W/ 6 yrs experience on the preload and being put on every belt in the building i consider myself one of the best in my building. With that u usually get the trucks that others cant handle 1200 pcs a day w/ a 520 start time. Lately i been looking like a rookie but i know im working as hard as i can and as safe as i can.
I refuse to to kill myself i will stack until the very last buzzer and wait for help. I also take pride in load quality but there is no way im going to give the perfect load w/ them cramming everything down the belt. With the belt moving faster than it should. Preload is easy Management makes its 1000x more complicated than it really is.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I also take pride in load quality but there is no way im going to give the perfect load w/ them cramming everything down the belt. With the belt moving faster than it should. Preload is easy Management makes its 1000x more complicated than it really is.

There are a lot of things this company does that I don't agree with but at the same time I understand why.

The push for preload speed and causing load quality to suffer is one I just can't wrap my mind around.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
It's not. Come in so the job th best you can. Rinse and repeat 5 days a week.
That isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about UPS actually keeping people on. It shouldn't be that hard to hire someone new or tell them the truth whether they will work after the holidays or not.