Retaliation for Supervisors Working Grievance

turdburglar

Hello everyone. I talked to my union steward about filing grievances for supervisors working, and was concerned that I would be retaliated against if I did file supervisors working grievances. He basically said that as long as I have good attendance and follow the loading methods that there was nothing that management could do. I come to work every day and follow the methods, so theoretically I should not have a problem. However, I am not so sure about this, considering the fact that the union steward turns a blind eye to the issue when it is technically his job to uphold the contract just as it is the job of union members. My question is this: Is there any underhanded way that management could terminate an employee for filing supervisors working grievances (seeing as how it would hurt their numbers quite a bit, especially in this building)? Thank You.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

While there may be no direct (or indirect) retaliation or harrassment there will most certainly be a target placed squarely on your back. Do the job by the methods, keep your nose clean and the target will be shifted to someone else.

turdburglar

I know, nice screen name, huh? I do not mind a target being on my back, as I know I am doing nothing wrong. However, I cannot imagine the target being placed elsewhere, seeing as how I am the only one in the building filing supervisors working grievances. It is ridiculous that they are pushing the stagger 30 minutes, which causes all the preloaders to come in to a jacked-up slide, while management knows they can have supervisors clean up the mess that they created.

midwest brown

I was in your place earlier this year. I filed 3 times and while I noticed my trucks heavier as well as getting a 5th truck they did try to retaliate but it didnt bother me. The more they gave me the slower I went. Anyways, Friday my steward came up to me and said hey do you got a minute I said ya and we went into the office. He said this is the grievance you filed, they want to settle this now for $21. Does this seem fair to you? I said sure all I want is them to not work lol. So yes file if you can deal with a little nonsense for awhile

turdburglar

Well, the nonsense I can handle. If they increased my volume, I would just continue at my old pace, and if that does not cut it, then it is not my problem. What I really fear is what lengths management would go to to terminate someone who was screwing up their numbers with grievances. It really does not seem like anyone but me is willing to uphold the contract in my building....

midwest brown

Follow the methods and you are fine. They can't make stuff up. They look for things like attendance, box throwing, not doing what your told

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
When they come at you if they do, Smile and say " I am doing the best that I can " Smile and repeat " I am doing the best.......... You need a thick skin......and don't worry if you plan on staying you will outlast the supervisors.

turdburglar

That is funny, because that is exactly what I did today when they got on me for being backed up. I simply said "I am working" in a calm voice until the full-time supervisor stopped yelling (and he was yelling quite loud) and left.
Justin0828, what eventually happened in your building? Did the supervisors stop working eventually, or did you stop filing on them eventually?
By the way, PT Stewie, you are a steward, right? Who is supposed to be paid for the grievance? My steward was not entirely clear about this, and the contract did not make it entirely obvious, either. As far as I know, there is no particular "displaced employee", just the management intentionally under-staffing the operation to save money. Thank You.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The highest seniority employee on the shift should be paid for the grievance; however, the money should go to everyone on the shift and perhaps could be used to buy water, Gatorade or pizza for the whole shift.

turdburglar

That is odd. So, even if the highest seniority employee does not file the grievance, they will get paid for it? Either way, if the supervisors working problem does not stop after I file for it repeatedly, I will call up the local and see what they can do about it. Unless that is not the proper "next step". What would be the proper "next step" if management continues to have supervisors working? Thank You.

Kis124

I thought it was the highest seniority on the actual grievance. like if 3 people signed it, the higher senior employee would get it

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The highest seniority employee on the shift should be paid for the grievance; however, the money should go to everyone on the shift and perhaps could be used to buy water, Gatorade or pizza for the whole shift.
Seems to me the money should go to the guy who had the gonads to file. Money is a motivator. When you see someone stealing money out of your pocket, if you just let them...................

turdburglar

So it is the highest seniority employee who signs the grievance? I have been there for 5 years, and no one else has the balls to file, so then presumably I should get the money. Why should everyone on the shift benefit if I am the only one who has the balls to file? Everyone else is letting management wipe their asses with the contract, and I am not going to let that happen.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So it is the highest seniority employee who signs the grievance? I have been there for 5 years, and no one else has the balls to file, so then presumably I should get the money. Why should everyone on the shift benefit if I am the only one who has the balls to file? Everyone else is letting management wipe their asses with the contract, and I am not going to let that happen.

...and people call me a Me-ster....

turdburglar

I don't know about that. If I am going to have a target on my back, then I am not going to do it for free. If supervisors continue to work, I will get in contact with my local to deal with the problem. The goal here is not to make money.

turdburglar

So, upsman2940, what was the end result of the grievances? Did they eventually stop and hire more people, or did you eventually stop filing grievances? Thank You.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Turd guy, I think you have nailed it. Even tho I also nailed it. Before you by minutes, just for the record, LOL. Ill have to ask my loader how that goes, he has a notebook and files all the time on it. Ill let you know what he says. But I am still on vaca, so it will be a few days.................