Retaliation for Supervisors Working Grievance

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I've always wondered what would make someone want to burglarize a turd. Surely, no one would miss it, in fact, they'd probably be happy to give them away for free.

That is funny, because that is exactly what I did today when they got on me for being backed up. I simply said "I am working" in a calm voice until the full-time supervisor stopped yelling (and he was yelling quite loud) and left.
Justin0828, what eventually happened in your building? Did the supervisors stop working eventually, or did you stop filing on them eventually?
By the way, PT Stewie, you are a steward, right? Who is supposed to be paid for the grievance? My steward was not entirely clear about this, and the contract did not make it entirely obvious, either. As far as I know, there is no particular "displaced employee", just the management intentionally under-staffing the operation to save money. Thank You.
Now the real deal, what the hell does that mean.." I am working".....are you working up to ups standards, have you ever had a time study ? Unless you have very thick skin and unless you do not live in a glass house keep on doing what you are doing but sooner or later you will do something wrong and ups management will talk to you about it, do it wrong again and they will talk to you with a steward, do it wrong again and you will get. Written warning letter...see how they will get to you sooner or later...it's called progressive discipline....if I were you I would pick by battles carefully.

turdburglar

So, toonertoo, it seems that they continue to have supervisors working regardless. I would have imagined that would be the case, seeing as how they would not be able to make their numbers without them working. I will probably have to talk to my local to deal with this problem.
nowayjose2, I have been working up to "UPS Standards", whatever that means. I have been loading a heavy load area for a while now, and I have been keeping it clean. They began to push staggers back 30-45 minutes, even for me, and when I come in at my stagger, my load area is a terrible mess. I had been putting up with, busting my ass even harder to keep it clean, but I am getting sick of it. If they want to push the stagger back to the point where I have to work even harder, and supervisors have to help load for people who do not want to work harder, then there is a problem. So when they confronted me about being backed up when I usually have the area clean, even with the stagger, I told them that I was working. Period. I dare them to discipline me for "not following rules" when they themselves do not follow the rules. If it comes down to it, I will continue to work as hard as I was working, except that at least it will almost be worth it because I will be getting paid for supervisors working grievances, or I will put a stop to supervisors working and they will have to use the old stagger.

upsman2940

They filled the positions and went by the call in list!! They then got tired of calling us in and over staffed to cover call ins!

midwest brown

Sorry for late response but yes they have stopped for the most part. It never will 100% stop. But anything over 10-15mins I file. You learn to pick and choose. Stuff that falls under my rollers or next to my pt sup usually always gets them for me and I could say NO let me do it, but i really don't want to get off the skids and get them myself so she can do it lol. But honestly I don't feel their pressure much anymore. Maybe it's stopped maybe I'm used to it now. But in all honesty it's worth it to do what's right. We have rules so do they.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
You are a part time employee,and as far as 'retaliation' there isnt much they can do. They may give you the cold shoulder,or try to make you go faster by verbally harrassing you.( file on that if they do) .They may add another truck to you,or put you on unload for a little payback but dont sweet it. In 2 weeks someone else will head up the S__ list and they will forget you. If they DO put you on unload, take your time,use the hand to surface methods and watch the supervisors melt down =)
so long as you come to work,use the methods,and dont commit a 'Cardnial sin' you'll be fine.

turdburglar

728ups, I do not understand why management thinks that unload is a punishment, as it is easier than preload anyways. I will continue to follow the methods and have good attendance, so hopefully there will be nothing that they can do but get pissy, which I do not mind as I am not there to make friends anyways.
Justin0828, they literally do everything. Yes, I work preload, and they act like they are preloaders themselves. They alt-pick, sort, load packages, scan packages, everything. They may even unload, but I would not know as I am not an unloader, but more likely than not they do. It really seems that part-time supervisors are simply glorified preloaders. I even saw the full-time supervisor getting in on the action, as he was doing alt-pick for about 30 minutes today.

So, toonertoo, it seems that they continue to have supervisors working regardless. I would have imagined that would be the case, seeing as how they would not be able to make their numbers without them working. I will probably have to talk to my local to deal with this problem.
nowayjose2, I have been working up to "UPS Standards", whatever that means. I have been loading a heavy load area for a while now, and I have been keeping it clean. They began to push staggers back 30-45 minutes, even for me, and when I come in at my stagger, my load area is a terrible mess. I had been putting up with, busting my ass even harder to keep it clean, but I am getting sick of it. If they want to push the stagger back to the point where I have to work even harder, and supervisors have to help load for people who do not want to work harder, then there is a problem. So when they confronted me about being backed up when I usually have the area clean, even with the stagger, I told them that I was working. Period. I dare them to discipline me for "not following rules" when they themselves do not follow the rules. If it comes down to it, I will continue to work as hard as I was working, except that at least it will almost be worth it because I will be getting paid for supervisors working grievances, or I will put a stop to supervisors working and they will have to use the old stagger.
My friend you may "win" a few battles but in the long run if this company wants you or is out to get you they will, if you are that unhappy and understandably frustrated with the way this company does business than you might have to make a personal choice wheather or not you want to be employed here. You are placing yourself in a position that sooner or later you will regret. I,ve been around for a long long time and this has been going on forever. The next thing you will hear from the company is the phrase "needs of the business" , which basically means I can do what I want. Do what you want but that martyr **** is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Dragon

Package Center Manager

I find it odd that you have a staggard start time of 30-45 minutes later then the unloaders. 30-45 is an exceptionally long time, in my building I stagger the loaders by 5 minutes. I have worked in a hub and the stagger for the loaders was only 10 minutes. So do you have a boxline, belt or slide that you pull from to load cars? I am just trying to get a grasp on your situation.

The highest seniority employee on the shift should be paid for the grievance; however, the money should go to everyone on the shift and perhaps could be used to buy water, Gatorade or pizza for the whole shift.
Wrong

It goes to the grievant. You know the guy or girl with the balls to take a stand.

Last edited:

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
That is funny, because that is exactly what I did today when they got on me for being backed up. I simply said "I am working" in a calm voice until the full-time supervisor stopped yelling (and he was yelling quite loud) and left.
Justin0828, what eventually happened in your building? Did the supervisors stop working eventually, or did you stop filing on them eventually?
By the way, PT Stewie, you are a steward, right? Who is supposed to be paid for the grievance? My steward was not entirely clear about this, and the contract did not make it entirely obvious, either. As far as I know, there is no particular "displaced employee", just the management intentionally under-staffing the operation to save money. Thank You.

Thatta guy thick skin is where it is at . smile friend..k'em Also I believe the language is changed you get the money Will get back with you on the language. Greivance needs to be worded correctley I always check and double check. I believe it it states when no greivant can be identified it goes to the senior guy. Always remember they make up sh.t as they are going along "if their lips are moving you know they are lieing for the most part.

turdburglar

PT Stewie, what does it mean "when no grievant can be identified"? How can a grievant not be identified, if someone has to file the grievance in the first place? That makes them the grievant, does it not? I believe the contract says "when no displaced employee can be identified", but I am not sure who would qualify as "displaced". Like I said, as far as I can tell, no one is displaced, the problem is that the building is chronically understaffed, even when everyone is there. They fill these holes with supervisors. Thanks to everyone for the responses.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Now the real deal, what the hell does that mean.." I am working".....are you working up to ups standards, have you ever had a time study ? Unless you have very thick skin and unless you do not live in a glass house keep on doing what you are doing but sooner or later you will do something wrong and ups management will talk to you about it, do it wrong again and they will talk to you with a steward, do it wrong again and you will get. Written warning letter...see how they will get to you sooner or later...it's called progressive discipline....if I were you I would pick by battles carefully.

Article 7 Grievance !!! Let's Dance!!! What are you saying You are going to lay and wait for the guy to mess up, pick on him ? All he did was file on sups working excuse me ,read the contract Article 3 section 7 signed by UPS and the IBT .If the guy is working to his ability please show me in the contract where the standards are ? Based on what is written the guy filed, the sup got his nose out of joint and start picking or yelling at him when they actually violated the contract.Your response suggests retaliation.Are you the rule or the exception ?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
PT Stewie, what does it mean "when no grievant can be identified"? How can a grievant not be identified, if someone has to file the grievance in the first place? That makes them the grievant, does it not? I believe the contract says "when no displaced employee can be identified", but I am not sure who would qualify as "displaced". Like I said, as far as I can tell, no one is displaced, the problem is that the building is chronically understaffed, even when everyone is there. They fill these holes with supervisors. Thanks to everyone for the responses.
If I went in early and found sups unloading trucks before start time and filed as a steward i.e. 5 sups @ 2 hrs X dbl hr. rate = who gets the money ? evrybody in the unload or the senior guys ?

turdburglar

There's the problem. I did not even know the steward could file, seeing as how my building's steward has supervisors working right in front of his eyes. Must be some pretty weak representation around here.

Inthegame

PT has got it down. The language actually refers to " aggrieved employee" not displaced. If employees were eligible to perform the work they have been aggrieved whether a grievance has been filed or not. That's usually settled by paying the group or the most senior. If no aggrieved is identified within the classification we've been successful pursuing supervisor working grievances outside the classification if any bargaining unit employee files, example being feeder drivers filing on a sup unloading. Protecting the unit work has been recognized as pretty important stuff or it wouldn't be Article 3 of the NMA. As PT also stated, the contract has been agreed to by UPS. When you file, you're merely reminding your sup what his superiors agreed to.
If no one stood up to being targeted by bosses, we wouldn't have a union.