Retaliation Lawsuit Allowed to Proceed

INTHEOC

No lecture at all. I'm just pointing out an obvious fact that you created with your reckless comments.
I have nothing prove to you. "I keep asking you to prove your point" is simply your way of fishing. Well, I guess the fish aren't biting today. If you feel entitled to the information, then do the research. I suggest you start by researching the difference between state and federal courts.

whiskey

I would have to agree that management retaliates once a grievance is filed. Management starts with ride alongs, 10 point commentary word for word, on road observations basically waiting for you to do wrong so they can right you up and that's the way they RETALIATE until you back down.
Welcome to brown cafe. Good first post.

You new guys are learning that Tie practices selective reading, all the facts he needs are supplied in the first post.
Driver alleged he was fired in retaliation for exercising his right to file and prosecute overtime grievances and for complaining about workplace safety, i.e., excessive stops and on-road hours.
UPS's defense was only that the court lacked jurisdiction. Seems to me that if the facts support his termination, that would be their defense.

Returntosender

You can safely assume they don't and even more safely assume they would not disclose anything.

Well, someone in the legal department reads post BC. Becuase employee's who felt they were wrongfully terminated had there posts brought up during their panel hearing. Therefore someone/s in the legal department is reading BC posts. Doing a quick synopsis and fowarding that synopsis to the legal department. Legal department then gives their advice to the region labor manager and region feeds to district labor and distircts feeds to the division labor manager to use against employee at panel hearings. Just my opinion

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Well, someone in the legal department reads post BC. Becuase employee's who felt they were wrongfully terminated had there posts brought up during their panel hearing. Therefore someone/s in the legal department is reading BC posts. Doing a quick synopsis and fowarding that synopsis to the legal department. Legal department then gives their advice to the region labor manager and region feeds to district labor and distircts feeds to the division labor manager to use against employee at panel hearings. Just my opinion

If it a person in the Legal Dept it would be a administrative person. More likely a person local to where the termination occurred referred it to higher levels. If a lawyer was involved it was probably outside legal council who is familiar with local labor law. Just my opinion.

Another option is that UPS has bots crawling the social media sites, Brown Cafe and t.net looking for stuff ... that could be prioritized to be referred to a real person. I can just about guarantee you that UPS does not pay a person to monitor any websites ... that's just too expensive. Purely conjecture on my part.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
If it a person in the Legal Dept it would be a administrative person. More likely a person local to where the termination occurred referred it to higher levels. If a lawyer was involved it was probably outside legal council who is familiar with local labor law. Just my opinion.

Another option is that UPS has bots crawling the social media sites, Brown Cafe and t.net looking for stuff ... that could be prioritized to be referred to a real person. I can just about guarantee you that UPS does not pay a person to monitor any websites ... that's just too expensive. Purely conjecture on my part.

IMO they do have a monitor. They are way too concerned with PR not to.

No matter how or when they get it, the safest thing to assume is that whatever you post can and will be used against you during termination proceedings.

Returntosender

"UPS hires outside council who is famililar with local labor law to deal with local cases." It can be safely assumed that Atlanta is still involved acting as co-council/Sr council to the case. Especially if the case is big, such as this case http://hr.blr.com/HR-news/Performan...anager-Wins-21M-in-Wrongful-Termination-Suit/ This is just my opinion.

As Hubrat says, "UPS has to much PR interests at stake not to get involved."

over9five

Staff member

No matter how or when they get it, the safest thing to assume is that whatever you post can and will be used against you during termination proceedings.

I would agree with all that.

pretzel_man

[video=vimeo;7200492]http://vimeo.com/7200492[/video]

Debbie Curtis-Magley runs UPS' department that monitors social media. Look at the video. I've spoken with her before.

As I recall, there are two part time people that monitor ALL social media. I do not believe there is an BC monitor.

She is a nice person. I'm sure that if asked, she would honestly answer.

Google her. You can see other blogs from her.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
[video=vimeo;7200492]http://vimeo.com/7200492[/video]

Debbie Curtis-Magley runs UPS' department that monitors social media. Look at the video. I've spoken with her before.

As I recall, there are two part time people that monitor ALL social media. I do not believe there is an BC monitor.

Google her. You can see other blogs from her.

Very engaging and informative. Thanks for sharing this!

LagunaBrown

How can any information taken from a blog be taken as relevant? It could be anyone making the statements anonymously and totally inaccurate. You would think posts from "Joeblow" at BC wouldn't hold any weight and get laughed at as proliferated hearsay. Good video post about social media monitoring though I am gonna check Lagunabrown.com for bots and spiders after that.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Depends on what you mean by monitor ... I assume you meant people that sit and manually read through a site like we do here on BC.
I don't think they have that.
I think they have a few people, as part of their total job responsibilities, that review the extracts returned by the automated bot and spiders.
I agree that these people are primarily PR or External Communications people.

Raw

Raw Member
You new guys are learning that Tie practices selective reading, all the facts he needs are supplied in the first post.

UPS's defense was only that the court lacked jurisdiction. Seems to me that if the facts support his termination, that would be their defense.

Plus 1 !

over9five

Staff member

We could invite her to be a BC member. Or maybe she already is......!

Nimnim

The Nim
We could invite her to be a BC member. Or maybe she already is......!

Hmm, now wouldn't that be something if cheryl was actually Debbie Curtis-Magley and set up BC for UPS to acquire info in a more "at ease" environment for people. Not that I really believe that, but the conspiracy starts here and now.:devil3: