Retire from FedEx?

bbsam

Staff member
Drivers would have no recourse. The violation would be against the contracors and ISP's so they would have to be the one's bringing the suit.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Drivers would have no recourse. The violation would be against the contracors and ISP's so they would have to be the one's bringing the suit.

Uh, no. If the FedEx Corporation is going over and above contractors and ISP's to discipline drivers, they do have recourse legally. FedEx is violating the terms of the Contractor/ISP agreement and holding "non-employees" to employee standards. Threats, discipline, and control over start times sure sounds like an employer to me.

Of course, if push ever comes to shove, FedEx will dump all over the contractors and ISP's and blame them. Wait for it....

bbsam

Staff member
Uh, no. If the FedEx Corporation is going over and above contractors and ISP's to discipline drivers, they do have recourse legally. FedEx is violating the terms of the Contractor/ISP agreement and holding "non-employees" to employee standards. Threats, discipline, and control over start times sure sounds like an employer to me.

Of course, if push ever comes to shove, FedEx will dump all over the contractors and ISP's and blame them. Wait for it....

Uh, no. The person who does the firing WILL BE THE CONTRACTOR. If the contractor is a puss and gets pushed into it, well that's on the contractor.

Semi-related incident. We have 9000 pieces coming out of a shipper tomorrow in my area. Terminal manager called to say they will be putting two 53 foot trailers in that location to take half the pieces. Well that makes for about $400 out of my pocket. I informed him that that absolutely, positively would not happen. He said that he needed the packages back early to process on the sort. I told him, "Go ahead and start the sort whenever you want to, I'm bringing the in-bound freight. After I pointed out that if he insisted on attempting to steal money from me, we could contact contractor relations together and he could inform all involved what gave him the right to do so. Needless to say, I am going to make an ASS-LOAD of money tomorrow.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Uh, no. The person who does the firing WILL BE THE CONTRACTOR. If the contractor is a puss and gets pushed into it, well that's on the contractor.

Semi-related incident. We have 9000 pieces coming out of a shipper tomorrow in my area. Terminal manager called to say they will be putting two 53 foot trailers in that location to take half the pieces. Well that makes for about $400 out of my pocket. I informed him that that absolutely, positively would not happen. He said that he needed the packages back early to process on the sort. I told him, "Go ahead and start the sort whenever you want to, I'm bringing the in-bound freight. After I pointed out that if he insisted on attempting to steal money from me, we could contact contractor relations together and he could inform all involved what gave him the right to do so. Needless to say, I am going to make an ASS-LOAD of money tomorrow.

9000 pieces? What shipper is that?

bbsam

Staff member
Someone who won't be a shipper after Ground screws it up.

Odd. It's a customer driven account. You may have heard of them. Bed, Bath, and Beyond? In fact, I think we just got them back from UPS about a year ago after not having them for sixth months and before that having them for the previous 10 years. Hmmm. We may get to keep that account after all, no?

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
BbSCAM you seem to believe that we all are idiots on this board. Apparently you work out of the only Ground building where employees are not only treated fairly, but also are fairly compensated. Well good luck in your fantasy land and by the way sorry to disappoint you but Bed Bath & Beyond seems to love UPS cause I deliver their stuff all the time and according to their website they ship through us as well as the USPS.

I know that in BbSCAMville all things are FedEx Ground and the rest of us can only bow to you and your never ending wisdom. With that said I would bet a weeks check that you are as bogus as your beloved Ground scam.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Operationally, it makes a lot more sense to spot two 53-footers and then pick them up when they're full, so I can see the TM's point of view. You can either shuttle a walk-in vehicle back and forth 20 times, or have a couple of tractors just hook-up and go. While you're making your "ass-load" of money, maybe he just wants to get it back to the building and on the belt.

However, if the TM does this, isn't FedEx (the corporation) directing you (the contractor) on how to run something that is supposedly your (bbsam's) business? Once again, the corporation is interfering with an "independent" businessperson, just as they attempt to motivate and discipline non-employees.

FedExer267

No. Bonuses are based on monthly performance (complaints, accidents, etc.) not on when I happen to hit a minor "gold mine".

No extra money for taking a good part of your free time to pick up 9000 boxes. Well thats simple bbsam have fun picking up all those boxes I have plans after work. See you tomorrow:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It makes no sense to load 9000 pkgs on to package cars. Park empty trailers there in the morning, let the shipper fill them and get the work back to the station to be sorted.

FedExer267

It makes no sense to load 9000 pkgs on to package cars. Park empty trailers there in the morning, let the shipper fill them and get the work back to the station to be sorted.
It dosent make sense but heres the thing bbsam will only get paid on the packages he picks up. So he wants to pick them all up. Know take into consideration he has what 6 routes I am thinking this will take awhile even if he rents a moving truck. So he makes money however the ones doing the work get paid the same as they would have if they just went in after doing their route. No incentive what so ever

bbsam

Staff member
Boy. Are you people really that daft? This is the reason I don't schedule myself anything to do day in and day out. That's all I did today was move pallets on a straight truck. And the reason I could was because contracturally it is mine to get unless I defer to the company. Operationally I had 50 pallets at the terminal by 12:30 and the rest there by 4:00 and started at 7:30. So why would I want to provide an incentive to drivers who didn't do anymore than they do on any given day?

bbsam

Staff member
No extra money for taking a good part of your free time to pick up 9000 boxes. Well thats simple bbsam have fun picking up all those boxes I have plans after work. See you tomorrow:happy-very:
Believe me. I had a blast. Easy money. Only kind I'm really interested in.