retired benefits major hike

vantexan

My point was if the uninsured went to a private hospital to seek emergency care they would be stabilized and then transferred to a county facility.
But aren't they still being treated, not turned away? Is the point of Obamacare that they now must be treated at any facility, and everyone must chip in to make that happen?

vantexan

not all areas of the country have county hospitals.... probably very few in fact
Just looked it up, 5724 hospitals in the U.S. of which 1045 are owned by state and local governments. Out of the 5724 35%, or 1984, serve rural communities and are designated rural hospitals.

Nolimitz

Ive lived in western NY and the PNW and have never in 58 years seen or heard of a govt owned hospital. Also have 10 family members in the health care field. show me a map of 35% of US hospitals that are govt owned!

vantexan

Ive lived in western NY and the PNW and have never in 58 years seen or heard of a govt owned hospital. Also have 10 family members in the health care field. show me a map of 35% of US hospitals that are govt owned!
35% are the ones that serve rural communities. They may be gov't owned or private. I've lived all over the U.S. since joining FedEx and have delivered to many county hospitals(I prefer smaller towns). Doesn't mean they're everywhere but generally a centrally located town with some size that's the commercial center for a rural area will have a hospital, usually with a county designation in it's name. Those numbers are from the American Hospital Association by the way.

bacha29

County owned hospitals?? Once upon a time there were quite a few of those as well as county owned nursing homes. Such facilities still owned by county governments are few and far between. Most county owned facilites were sold to private operators decades ago. Nursing homes are going to be an even bigger draw on governmnet coffers in the years to come. The average cost of a year in a licensed nursing homes is $84,000 and climbing. Needless to say that the average person's savings will be exhausted quickly at that rate meaning that Medicaid a government program with one of the highest annual percentage increase in the cost of operation is not likely to see it,s enrollment going down anytime soon. So Mr.Vantexan your points are well taken but you still have not identified just where the cuts to entitlement will be made. I am however comforted by the knowledge that you and your spouse if you have one will have sufficient personal wealth to pay for all of your present and future health care neeeds

vantexan

County owned hospitals?? Once upon a time there were quite a few of those as well as county owned nursing homes. Such facilities still owned by county governments are few and far between. Most county owned facilites were sold to private operators decades ago. Nursing homes are going to be an even bigger draw on governmnet coffers in the years to come. The average cost of a year in a licensed nursing homes is $84,000 and climbing. Needless to say that the average person's savings will be exhausted quickly at that rate meaning that Medicaid a government program with one of the highest annual percentage increase in the cost of operation is not likely to see it,s enrollment going down anytime soon. So Mr.Vantexan your points are well taken but you still have not identified just where the cuts to entitlement will be made. I am however comforted by the knowledge that you and your spouse if you have one will have sufficient personal wealth to pay for all of your present and future health care neeeds
The AHA says there are 1045 state and local gov't hospitals in the U.S.. I'm not in a position to look at everything a Congressman is, but I already pointed out there's many billions in waste and fraud that could be corrected. As to whether certain programs are cut, if the money isn't there how do you propose we fund those programs? I'd start by requiring able bodied people to work. I don't have a problem with assistance to the lowest paid, but they have to work to get it. If servicing the debt starts to overwhelm the budget, across the board cuts will have to happen. People will have to settle for less. We were a long way from this when Obama took office, but there's really no way to justify this kind of spending. We did have a very bad recession, but that's over and it didn't require doubling the debt to get out of it. Past recessions required tightening belts, not profligate spending. What it comes down to is different visions of how we conduct our lives. Either gov't gets out of the way as much as possible and lets people succeed or fail on their own merits, or gov't carries us throughout our lives so there isn't a need to risk for better, but no worries about starving either. The second one let's others decide our lives for us, and as demonstrated by Washington, has a voracious appetite for our money. Frankly I want off this merry-go-round because there will always be millions like you who believe in big gov't. My wife and I will be living overseas and, since we'll be out of the country 335+ days a year we won't have to pay for Obamacare.

bacha29

The AHA says there are 1045 state and local gov't hospitals in the U.S.. I'm not in a position to look at everything a Congressman is, but I already pointed out there's many billions in waste and fraud that could be corrected. As to whether certain programs are cut, if the money isn't there how do you propose we fund those programs? I'd start by requiring able bodied people to work. I don't have a problem with assistance to the lowest paid, but they have to work to get it. If servicing the debt starts to overwhelm the budget, across the board cuts will have to happen. People will have to settle for less. We were a long way from this when Obama took office, but there's really no way to justify this kind of spending. We did have a very bad recession, but that's over and it didn't require doubling the debt to get out of it. Past recessions required tightening belts, not profligate spending. What it comes down to is different visions of how we conduct our lives. Either gov't gets out of the way as much as possible and lets people succeed or fail on their own merits, or gov't carries us throughout our lives so there isn't a need to risk for better, but no worries about starving either. The second one let's others decide our lives for us, and as demonstrated by Washington, has a voracious appetite for our money. Frankly I want off this merry-go-round because there will always be millions like you who believe in big gov't. My wife and I will be living overseas and, since we'll be out of the country 335+ days a year we won't have to pay for Obamacare.

bacha29

Well Mr. Vantexan rest assured when you get sick overseas you'll be booking the first flight back to the states. Going to the first hospital that can handle your individual case . And you will go up to registration and hand them your Medicare card. You see you keep expecting others to sacrifice in order to cut spending but you have never said a word about what you are personally willing to scacrifice in oder to do your fair share. It's always somebody else. Oh by the way talk to any economist and they will tell you that if the federal government including the federal reserve had not acted in the decisive and proactive manner in which they did in 2008 and 2009 unemployment would be over 20% and the banks would be nationalized.