Retired UPS Management willing to answer all questions that you are are afraid to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarnzz

It's funny because I've wondered the same throughout the years...

I think that corporate does not have any type of policy to achieve their goals through negative methods. I think that develops through the execution of that plan and the results of micromanagement.

Look at it like this, the majority of middle management are generally glorified blue collar folk. Unless you work in the region you really have no say in how things go and are basically told what to do (YES-MAN). A lot of them came through the ranks from hourly and usually don't have any type of management experience or sensitivity training. The rest are off the street management who never worked in the hub or delivered a package in their lives and are completely out of touch. Either way it's a poisonous combination.

So when you get a DM or center manager who gets threatened with their jobs if they don't get results that's usually when they forget about their morals and values and the workforce experiences harassment and intimidation. I've seen some pretty pathetic things throughout my career that have really been comical. It's funny watching someone completely abandon their ethics and integrity for the sake of the corporation. Once you look at it like that... trust me you'll never feel harassed.

Every one of us has had a manager who was a really good person and tried to please everyone, but we all know that person either gets moved or they become bipolar and change their management method to achieve results. It never lasts long term.

FYI I'm not slamming management here, I'm just telling it like it is. There are plenty of union members that give this company hell and things are the way they are for a reason. I'm a realist.

That's the reason why this job is draining, it's not the physical labor aspect. It's like being in a bad relationship... you love the company, but they keep keying your car.

Love this post, even read it to my wife who is a nurse manager over 100+ employees across two floors of a hospital... Either you are an intelligent enough person to understand it's broken, make the best of it, or you can be miserable expecting a culture change that ain't happening in our lifetime. "You think this is bad, it's only going to get worse", I've said so many times to my fellow employees.

clarnzz

Management is set up to reach unattainable goals. Hourlies are set up to up reach unattainable metrics following the work methods we are trained. Management get's their ass kicked to reach their unattainable goals, lather.rinse.repeat. There is a very small segment of the population who could be successful as both meeting the Ivory Towers expectation of them as well as gaining the respect of their employees, because those people are smart enough to not go into management. There is not enough to gain financially to give up the freedom of just punching out and going home. What intelligent person wants to work for someone who is going to threaten their job if they don't meet this metric, or also threaten their job the other way because you having too many accidents or injuries? Not this man, we're all :censored2:ed from that standpoint. Deal with it and cover your ass, or get the hell out. It's only going to get worse.

Last edited:

CharleyHustle

And keep in mind that whatever you experienced was experienced by the employee you refer to as management.
They are just another guy trying to get to retirement.

I agree, but... Once you take a management position you cross the line from very little responsibility to all the responsibility, its now your rodeo. Most management are just like the Old Man, make some bold proclamation like "I'm going to answer every question you are afraid to ask", then, when you get some questions you don't like or things don't go according to the grand plan, you pick up your toys and go home.

OPTION3

I agree, but... Once you take a management position you cross the line from very little responsibility to all the responsibility, its now your rodeo. Most management are just like the Old Man, make some bold proclamation like "I'm going to answer every question you are afraid to ask", then, when you get some questions you don't like or things don't go according to the grand plan, you pick up your toys and go home.
Wait a minute.....that's not in the corporate playbook

OPTION3

You forgot to throw in the "you are an angry person, I feel sad for you" comment.....LMAO

ChrisTheBrown

I hear a lot (did again this morning) about management having a history of shorting employee's pay..You seem like you were a great center manager, so I'm not questioning if you personally have ever done that..But have you ever worked with anyone that ever has done that to hourlies?..It makes me sick hearing about some of the stories I have, considering how hard we all work.

box_beeyotch

I hear a lot (did again this morning) about management having a history of shorting employee's pay..You seem like you were a great center manager, so I'm not questioning if you personally have ever done that..But have you ever worked with anyone that ever has done that to hourlies?..It makes me sick hearing about some of the stories I have, considering how hard we all work.

It's pretty sad when you have to ask the oms to pull up your time card from yesterday everyday just to make sure it's not screwed with.

OPTION3

It's pretty sad when you have to ask the oms to pull up your time card from yesterday everyday just to make sure it's not screwed with.
I never do....in our supplement shortages occur with such regularity we get penalty pay if it's over a certain amount and not overnighted to you.......YTD I am at almost 2k in shortages.....half of which have penalty pay attached......nice coin. On a side note....my management team tried to get me to notify them early if there is a problem.....nope.....will notify you when I get my check.....cha-Ching

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I agree, but... Once you take a management position you cross the line from very little responsibility to all the responsibility, its now your rodeo.
I don't know where you got that idea from.
In management theory, one has responsibility equal to the authority granted them.
If you don't have the authority to make a decision, then you do not have the responsibility.
A supervisor has responsibility only for those people and areas to which he/she has been assigned the authority and therefore responsibility.
This does not include answering, at any time, insipid or hypothetical questions or scenarios.

I chuckled when this thread started because I knew the kind of questions the "Old Man" was going to get.
Learned his lesson the hard way.
No good deed goes unpunished.

Got hired 6 mths ago for small sorts during seasonal and hired permentally in Feb. In Sort Out. Today HR called me to inform me that I will be given a driving test to see if I can drive a stick for purposes of becoming a Cover Driver. I can drive stick shift in a car, but never did it in a truck before. What should I expect? Will I drive everyday, or continue Sort Out and drive as needed. What about my pay?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Got hired 6 mths ago for small sorts during seasonal and hired permentally in Feb. In Sort Out. Today HR called me to inform me that I will be given a driving test to see if I can drive a stick for purposes of becoming a Cover Driver. I can drive stick shift in a car, but never did it in a truck before. What should I expect? Will I drive everyday, or continue Sort Out and drive as needed. What about my pay?
Uhm yeah ok

Status
Not open for further replies.