Retirees: What Are The Expenses You Didn't Count On For Retirement?

A

anonymous6

my savings would be about 4 grand also. I didn't know about moving out of state and losing provider service. we are in the western conference so wouldn't our providers cover that whole area?

California is the most unfriendly retirement state in the nation while NV, AZ, and Idaho are all friendly retirement states that we have been looking at. however, if we lose our health providers by moving , that puts things in a different light.

The Milkman

We still don't know how much healthcare will cost. I currently pay $50 per month under a UPS plan but that almost certainly change after every contract supplement passes. Still don't know how much it will cost. I got a letter last week that said UPS will provide details later.

Jan 1st going on yr # 7 in retirement, When I left was told $50 a month for me and the wife...Now we see changes that I was hopeing would not happen. We are powerless now concerning our fate with this past contract. My wife gets kicked off anyway in Feb. so I will be on another 3 1/2 yrs till I hit 65. SS kicks in for the wife so at least she got a good ride to that point..Could be worse...I could still be driving....NOT

stealth8

my savings would be about 4 grand also. I didn't know about moving out of state and losing provider service. we are in the western conference so wouldn't our providers cover that whole area?

Your retiree health coverage covers your costs at in-network price within your coverage area. Once you move outside of your coverage area you pay out-of-network price, you don't lose your coverage.

Bad Gas!

Which pension option did you take? Whole, 50% or 75% spouse survival? Do you keep a life insurance plan? Do you consider a part-time job for money or discounts or to get out of the house? Do you still help with kids/ grandkids expenses?....The healthcare expense in the south is $200 for me and $200 for the wife. I thought that was good. And after all this Obamacare shellshock, I really think it is a good deal.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My first year of retirement has been surprisingly free on unintended expenses.
Picked up additional money on photography above my expectations.
My investments are up 39% for the year.

I don't expect future years to be as good.

HOTELDUNORD

Yes unexpected things do come up. I don't have to tell you how hard our job is. If you our ready for retirement and can still get around without too much pain LEAVE. Your health comes first and if you do have to work somewhere I'm betting it will be easier on your body than UPS. It can be scary a bit when you first leave and it is an adjustment but once you start seeing the money come in each month it brings a big smile since you didn't step on a truck for it. Let's be clear we may lose our pensions and our social security, we may lose all our investments but you can't think that way. Enjoy your retirement with what you have, live in your means and enjoy not working. Everyone you will talk with has a different situation some drivers retire while they still have a child at home. Others lost money to divorces or bad investments. Others have health issues and have to leave before they can even vest time! Don't be afraid you will be happy regardless once you step into retirement, whatever form it takes. Remember (for the second time) your health.

oldupsman

Which pension option did you take? Whole, 50% or 75% spouse survival? Do you keep a life insurance plan? Do you consider a part-time job for money or discounts or to get out of the house? Do you still help with kids/ grandkids expenses?....The healthcare expense in the south is $200 for me and $200 for the wife. I thought that was good. And after all this Obamacare shellshock, I really think it is a good deal.

We took the whole pension. Why leave any money on the table? Yes I could get killed in a car crash tomorrow. But I
don't live my life thinking like that. I'm a positive thinking person, especially since leaving UPS. We made it a point to
pay off the mortgage as soon as possible being that was the only debt we had. Living debt free makes it all easy.

We were always savers, I banged my 401 heavy during my years at UPS, so we had some substantial savings. With
no debt and savings there is no need for a life insurance policy.

I didn't work at all for the first 10 months. Vowed I would never take a job I didn't love ever again. Then a new minor
league ballpark opened close to home. We're big gardeners, still do our own canning, I love to play in the dirt. So I
applied for a groundskeeper job. I also love baseball so it all fit. Great summer job with the winters off. Enjoy the job
more than I need the money. How's that for a switch.

I'm telling you, you will never regret leaving as soon as you can. I left at 55. Would another 2 or 3 years made things easier?
I don't know. Yeah another couple bucks a month in the pension. More 401 savings. But we haven't missed that money.
Earlier I said I'm a positive person. I wasn't always. People I've known a long time have told me what a happier overall
person I've become since I've retired. I don't wish UPS any ill will. I'm just glad I'm gone.

The Milkman

We took the whole pension. Why leave any money on the table? Yes I could get killed in a car crash tomorrow. But I
don't live my life thinking like that. I'm a positive thinking person, especially since leaving UPS. We made it a point to
pay off the mortgage as soon as possible being that was the only debt we had. Living debt free makes it all easy.

We were always savers, I banged my 401 heavy during my years at UPS, so we had some substantial savings. With

I didn't work at all for the first 10 months. Vowed I would never take a job I didn't love ever again. Then a new minor
league ballpark opened close to home. We're big gardeners, still do our own canning, I love to play in the dirt. So I
applied for a groundskeeper job. I also love baseball so it all fit. Great summer job with the winters off. Enjoy the job

I'm telling you, you will never regret leaving as soon as you can. I left at 55. Would another 2 or 3 years made things easier?
I don't know. Yeah another couple bucks a month in the pension. More 401 savings. But we haven't missed that money.
Earlier I said I'm a positive person. I wasn't always. People I've known a long time have told me what a happier overall
person I've become since I've retired. I don't wish UPS any ill will. I'm just glad I'm gone.

Happy for you, did the right thing.......Less stress etc etc..your time is more valuable than any amount of $$$..Like you left at 55........Not worth staying any longer......Like you said for what??

Squint

No more work for me!

Did the same thing here. It amounts to almost $350.00 in my case. I could get a great life insurance plan for that amount.

pretender

Living the dream!

oldngray

nowhere special
You need to calculate how much those lost years are worth if you continue working after you are able to retire. To me that time is worth more than money.

The Milkman

You need to calculate how much those lost years are worth if you continue working after you are able to retire. To me that time is worth more than money.

Once you have health issues you can never go back to when you were healthy and still be able to enjoy life. Some keep going after the almighty dollar instead of enjoying what all those ball busting years you put in to get to retirement age, and if you are lucky to be in fairly good shape then it is time to move on with your so called Golden Years..

BigMoney

Im trying to get my wife to agree to the full amount.I keep telling her that im going to out live here and she doesnt think thats funny.

oldupsman

Im trying to get my wife to agree to the full amount.I keep telling her that im going to out live here and she doesnt think thats funny.

My wife thinks the exact opposite. That's why she agreed to take the full amount. Of course that probably
means I will go first.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My wife thinks the exact opposite. That's why she agreed to take the full amount. Of course that probably
means I will go first.
I'm down with your plan. My 401K is loaded up and I took out a fat term life insurance policy, she will get both of those in addition to my SS if I check out first.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm down with your plan. My 401K is loaded up and I took out a fat term life insurance policy, she will get both of those in addition to my SS if I check out first.

How old will you be when the term policy expires?

I have a 20 yr $500K term which will expire when I turn 61. I bought it to cover me while I was working.