retirement dinner

retired2000

last night we had our yearly retirement dinner. it is put on by our club which was created about 13 years ago. we call it "the silver club" we honored 16 hourly teamsters last night. for different reasons only 10 were there. some have moved out of state or had something else to do. but , anyways it was a great night. saw alot of retires that i have not seen since last year. each retire was given a plaque which ups had made up. they have done this for a number of years now.
i was wondering if there are any other clubs or groups that hold such any event.

30andout

:ohmy: I would like to be in a club like that some day, I have almost 35 years in now and looking at another 10 to 12 before that will happen.

helenofcalifornia

What is the "Silver Club?" Who pays for the dinner, etc? Part-timers are included also? Where is it held? I think this is a great idea. Part-timers who hang out for many years without going full time should be recognized for all their years of brutal commitment. Of course, this recognition event would be better if beer were involved and I can't see UPS as allowing this at a UPS-sponsored event. All in all I think this would make for a great event that brings both part-timers and full-timers together. Probably would work better at a smaller center rather than a hub.

retired2000

the silver club is made up of retires from ups. there is a $12 fee( just once) to get in. the dinner is paid for my the retirees. when you retire the dinner is paid for by the club for the first year. it is not sponsored by ups so there is beer there. so far we have not had any part-timers retire as they did not start until 76. next year we should have our first one. we are a hub and it still works well. we also throw a clambake in the spring for any one that wants to come.

Dutch Dawg

Why would you wanna do that? When I sign off and move on in a few of years. I'll do just that. Why anyone would want to attend a dinner to co-miserate and listen to complaints about Brown not being like it used to be, is beyond me.:crying:

helenofcalifornia

Why would you want to have dinner with people that you have worked with for many years??? Uh, geez, maybe because they are good friends and you have shared a lot of experiences with them over the many years. (Heavy sarcasm intended)

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Our retirees have a breakfast club. You have bonds with people you work with that long. They could turn out to be the best friends you ever had. They talk about trips, family, investments, and life. Im sure their bond at UPS is only the beginning.

retired2000

dutch,
you must be having a bad time of it at ups. at the dinner we do not seat around and talk about ups. it is about the good times we have had there and what the future will bring. it is about seeing your friends that you have not seen since they retired. it is also away for yur date to put a face with that name that you have been talking about for 30 years. my wife has made many friends over the years from the dinner.
tooner, how often do the retirees get together for breakfast?